Windows 10: How do I prevent update to Windows 10?

Discus and support How do I prevent update to Windows 10? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My 89 year old mother got forced to do the update to Windows 10 and just two days later, finds that her start button doesn't work and she can't start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RhinoCan, Apr 15, 2016.

1. RhinoCan Win User

How do I prevent update to Windows 10?

My 89 year old mother got forced to do the update to Windows 10 and just two days later, finds that her start button doesn't work and she can't start most of her apps. I expect she will agree to revert to Windows 8.1 and I found some instructions to do that.

What will I need to do once I have her computer back to 8.1 to keep it from updating to Windows 10 until I'm satisfied that Microsoft has *finally* fixed the problem with the Start button?

I've done some googling but only seem to find articles about how to stop doing updates when you already have Windows 10 installed.

:)

RhinoCan, Apr 15, 2016
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Apr 15, 2016
  3. HughwgFL Win User
    How do I prevent Anniversary Update after rollback?

<< So you observed that it sent this data, even though your PC was frozen by the BSOD? Can you explain what told you this? This is important to know so we know if they are getting any telemetry from these hangs. >>

Have you seen a bluescreen in Windows 10 (possibly new in AU but I don't know since version1 didn't BSOD)?

It tells you it is uploading data and gives you the percentage uploaded so far, counting up to 100

It apologizes

And I think it may have been only on the first time it BSOD'd in the bottom right corner it gave the version number of the INTEL HD Driver Intel 12/21/2015 10.18.10 4358

On the ASUS T200TA Device Manager insists that I am uptodate with that version and ASUS has nothing more recent. I note your suggestion to backgrade but I'll leave that for now since it is labor intensive with ASUS.

However the Intel Driver Download Utility did offer a more recent version .... .4425 which I am installing now so we will see what happens although the BSOD's are not so frequent and immediate that I will be able to tell immediately.

HughwgFL, Apr 15, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Ztruker, Apr 15, 2016
  5. cbwilsha Win User
    I hope you are aware that the easiest and best way to revert to her original 8.1 is go to Settings>>Update & Security>>Recovery>>Rollback.

cbwilsha, Apr 15, 2016
  6. RhinoCan Win User
    Thank you for the answers. As it turns out, Windows 10 "fixed itself" somehow. I signed onto my mother's computer to remove Windows 10 and found that the Start button was back and working fine. I'm completely baffled by how this could happen since neither she nor I did anything and no further updates had arrived from Microsoft.

We're going to leave Windows 10 in place for the time being but plan to remove it if it misbehaves again and revert to Windows 8.1 until they've got the bugs out of Windows 10.

RhinoCan, Apr 17, 2016
  7. cbwilsha Win User
    I'm glad to hear things worked out. Just remember, the easy rollback feature I recommended is good for only 30 days from the day you downloaded the original Windows 10. FWIW, I originally hated Windows 10 but now use it exclusively and I have several computers to choose from.

cbwilsha, Apr 17, 2016
  8. RhinoCan Win User

My mother and I have nothing against Windows 10 in principle and are willing to keep using it *if it works*. But if you can't launch most of your programs, it is WORSE than useless, it actually inhibits you from doing what you are trying to do. When that happens, we will move on to something else, either temporarily or permanently.

RhinoCan, Apr 17, 2016
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Look at Classic Shell or Start10 as replacements for the Win 10 Start menu.

Ztruker, Apr 18, 2016
  10. RhinoCan Win User
    Thanks for the suggestions; I didn't realize there were alternatives within Windows 10 (as opposed to reverting to older versions of Windows or an entirely different OS).

RhinoCan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I prevent update to Windows 10? - Similar Threads - prevent update

2. How to prevent automatic Windows 11 updates from overwriting critical driver versions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent automatic Windows 11 updates from overwriting critical driver versions?: I'm playing Warzone 3 on Windows 11, and this game requires an Intel graphics driver version 49 or higher to run properly. I download and install the latest driver version version 53 from Intel's website, and the game runs fine. However, Windows automatically attempts to...
  3. How to prevent automatic Windows 11 updates from overwriting critical driver versions?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent automatic Windows 11 updates from overwriting critical driver versions?: I'm playing Warzone 3 on Windows 11, and this game requires an Intel graphics driver version 49 or higher to run properly. I download and install the latest driver version version 53 from Intel's website, and the game runs fine. However, Windows automatically attempts to...
  4. I'm getting Repeated Windows Update Failures which are also preventing me updating to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm getting Repeated Windows Update Failures which are also preventing me updating to...: I've had other issues which I've managed to resolve on the forums and have done loads of things suggested but these three update failures seem to be really stubborn1. Failed to install 2024-04 cumulative update for Windows 10 version 22H2 for x64-based systems KB5036892 error...
  5. I'm getting Repeated Windows Update Failures which are also preventing me updating to...

I'm getting Repeated Windows Update Failures which are also preventing me updating to...: I've had other issues which I've managed to resolve on the forums and have done loads of things suggested but these three update failures seem to be really stubborn1. Failed to install 2024-04 cumulative update for Windows 10 version 22H2 for x64-based systems KB5036892 error...
  6. I'm getting Repeated Windows Update Failures which are also preventing me updating to...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How to prevent Windows 11 for updating the UEFI boot order?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent Windows 11 for updating the UEFI boot order?: Every time I boot Windows 11 with which I am happy, it updates the boot order to put the windows UFI first time. Windows should not alter the boot order it finds in the system, and damn sure it should not do it without obtaining first confirmation from the user. This behavior...
  8. How to prevent Windows 11 for updating the UEFI boot order?

How to prevent Windows 11 for updating the UEFI boot order?: Every time I boot Windows 11 with which I am happy, it updates the boot order to put the windows UFI first time. Windows should not alter the boot order it finds in the system, and damn sure it should not do it without obtaining first confirmation from the user. This behavior...
  9. How can I prevent Windows 11 from automatically updating my display driver?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prevent Windows 11 from automatically updating my display driver?: Hi all, the question header says it all. I am looking for a way to prevent Windows 11 from automatically installing a display driver. Let me give some background as to why. I have a laptop Lenovo ThinkPad L13 that has started automatically shutting off after about 2-3 minutes...
  10. How can I prevent Windows 11 from automatically updating my display driver?

How can I prevent Windows 11 from automatically updating my display driver?: Hi all, the question header says it all. I am looking for a way to prevent Windows 11 from automatically installing a display driver. Let me give some background as to why. I have a laptop Lenovo ThinkPad L13 that has started automatically shutting off after about 2-3 minutes...