Windows 10: How do I prevent Windows 10 from booting from an old installed drive

Discus and support How do I prevent Windows 10 from booting from an old installed drive in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 some time ago, and recently the original hard drive refused to boot, apparently due to boot sector errors. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by LutzF, Mar 9, 2017.

1. LutzF Win User

How do I prevent Windows 10 from booting from an old installed drive

I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 some time ago, and recently the original hard drive refused to boot, apparently due to boot sector errors. I have installed a new hard drive and loaded Windows 10, and installed all required software. Although I have marked all partitions on both drives as inactive with exception of the windows partition on the new drive, I still receive a blue screen with 2 options for booting (from Disk 0 (the new drive) and also Disk 1. How can I eliminate this? Can I just delete the Windows partition on Disk 1 and this will solve the problem? I would like to keep the old drive and use it for backups.

When I do disconnect the old drive, the computer boots normally.

:)

LutzF, Mar 9, 2017

2. Clean install of windows 10 OS on new SSD-best procedure for eliminating current windwos 10 OS on old hard drive

I want to do a clean install of Windows 10 OS on a new ssd and make this the boot drive. I would like to keep the old WD 1T hard drive as a storage drive. What is the best/easiest procedure for extracting the old windows 10 OS from the old hard drive.
    I'm not sure that I know how to properly identify the OS files.

ThomasSchlimmer, Mar 9, 2017
  3. Jivames Win User
    How do I set my new SSD as the only Boot/System drive?

I recently did the free upgrade and installed Windows 10 to a new SSD.

I then erroneously removed the old HDD which had Windows 7 on it.

I received an "unable to boot windows" error message upon start up.

So put the old HDD back in, hit F8, and was able to boot from the old HDD as normal.

I would like to remove this old HDD and have Windows only boot from the SSD, how would I do that?

Also this old drive is an IDE drive from the early 2000's and I don't want to have it in my system anymore.

Edit: I'm still getting the Windows cannot boot message each time I boot up and have to keep hitting F8 now to boot up. - Nevermind, fixed that; forgot to set the boot order back to the old drive in the Bios. Still want to get rid of this old drive, though
    and only boot from the SSD.

Jivames, Mar 9, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Bree, Mar 9, 2017
  5. LutzF Win User
    Hi Bree

Thanks for the advice. I tried that but the "set as default" option is greyed out - it is already set as the default. This probably means that the default boot drive holds the active system flags. However, I still get the blue screen with boot options on booting. I would like to delete the unwanted windows partition on the old drive - is that now safe to do?

LutzF, Mar 9, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    On the boot tab of msconfig, do you show more than one OS listed? If so, highlight the one that you do not want and click delete. Then save changes.

To determine which partitions you can safely delete, we need to see a screenshot of disk management with all of the columns widened so that we can see the data in the columns:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of

NavyLCDR, Mar 9, 2017
  7. LutzF Win User
    Thanks, that worked - all is ok now.

LutzF, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I prevent Windows 10 from booting from an old installed drive - Similar Threads - prevent booting old

2. How do I prevent Windows 10 users from accessing the drive where Windows 11 is installed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I prevent Windows 10 users from accessing the drive where Windows 11 is installed...: Hello!I have just dual-booted Windows 10 with Windows 11. I am noticing that when I am in Windows 11 I can see and access the drive where Windows 10 is installed; in windows 10 I can do the same with the drive where windows 11 is installed. In Windows 10 there are multiple...
  3. How do I prevent Windows 10 users from accessing the drive where Windows 11 is installed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I prevent Windows 10 users from accessing the drive where Windows 11 is installed...: Hello!I have just dual-booted Windows 10 with Windows 11. I am noticing that when I am in Windows 11 I can see and access the drive where Windows 10 is installed; in windows 10 I can do the same with the drive where windows 11 is installed. In Windows 10 there are multiple...
  4. How do I prevent standard users from installing software?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I prevent standard users from installing software?: Hello,I'm attempting to set up a computer with two accounts. The first is an administrative account and the second is a standard account. The standard account is a part of my Microsoft family as a "child" account with parental restrictions. Since Microsoft only applies the...
  5. How do I prevent standard users from installing software?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I prevent standard users from installing software?: Hello,I'm attempting to set up a computer with two accounts. The first is an administrative account and the second is a standard account. The standard account is a part of my Microsoft family as a "child" account with parental restrictions. Since Microsoft only applies the...
  6. How do I prevent standard users from installing software?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Accessing programs on boot drive from old drives.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing programs on boot drive from old drives.: Hello, I recently upgraded to an ssd for a boot drive with around 500gb. Now, I would like to put some programs here but I want most of my games and programs to be be loaded from one of my two hard drives. Currently, the ssd is the C: drive. I also cannot seem to access...
  8. Lost boot from ssd ,now boots from old drive ,

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost boot from ssd ,now boots from old drive ,: Hello : Tonight my son's computer lost booting from his ssd , the old hard drive boots fine but slow . Need to make the new ssd drive bootable . Weird this worked for 1 month until tonight . 1903 version (os Build 18362.499) Ideas . thanks [img] [img] 144186
  9. How do I prevent Windows from installing a driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I prevent Windows from installing a driver?: I have an issue where Intel Management Interface Engine driver is preventing my laptop from hibernating or shutting down, I mean, the system just comes back to lock screen instead of turning off. If you search the web, you'll see this driver is well known to cause this issue,...
  10. How do I prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates an restarting?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates an restarting?: I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates and restarting. If I am out of the office for a few days and out of town, I need my work computer to stay on so I can access it via Gotomypc. When Windows 10 automatically...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. prevent windows from booting from old drive

2. prevent windows 10 booting from usb