Windows 10: How do I re-formate this Sata Drive to one partition ?

Discus and support How do I re-formate this Sata Drive to one partition ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Per the attached jpg...I am trying to reformat this WD Sata drive into one single partition. I believe this drive used to hold a Win 7 Pro 64 bit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by trinaz, Nov 23, 2016.

1. trinaz Win User

How do I re-formate this Sata Drive to one partition ?

Per the attached jpg...I am trying to reformat this WD Sata drive into one single partition. I believe this drive used to hold a Win 7 Pro 64 bit installation prior to moving to Win 10 on a new Sata drive. Initially I had a dual boot setup but decided to erase/delete the Win 7 Pro system. I think I deleted the Win 7 installation/drive on this WD drive.

I can't figure out via Properties and/or disk management how to reformat the drive into a single partition so I can keep my backup files on this drive for the Win 10 installation on a different Sata HDD drive

Must be doing something out of order but can't find a screen to erase the 2 partitions and reformat the drive to a blank single partition data drive to store Win 10 backup files on ?

Thanks...TiminAz

:)

trinaz, Nov 23, 2016
  2. Merwynna Win User

Merge Partitions and re-install

Hello

I have just bought a new Windows 10 laptop which came with a 500gb SSD drive partitioned as follows;

EFI / OS Drive / recovery / Data

There is no DVD drive and hence no recovery or OS / driver disks.

I want to merge the OS drive with the data drive. Third party partition software will do this but wants to merge the recovery partition with it....no good if ultimately the OS drive fails?

I have been told to reinstall a full version of Windows 10 to solve this problem, so I have to download Windows 10 using microsoft's media creation tool. I have also been advised to first clone my system onto an external drive.

How do I make a clone?

Do I have to merge the partitions before I reinstall? Do I then format the resulting One drive?

How do I preserve the EFI partition, or will a re-install re-create this?

Will a re-install re-create another recovery partition?

Does the Windows 10 re-install include all the necessary drivers?

Merwynna, Nov 23, 2016
  3. GG_art Win User
    Is it possible to rename SSD C: drive to something else

I installed windows 10 pro on the SSD m.2 drive. Then I added a 2nd SSD drive via the sata port.

C: 256GB SSD m.2 (2 partitions, including BOOT and RECOVERY)

C: 500GB SSD sata (not formatted)

Because they are both showing as drive C, I can't access the 500GB drive to format it.

I have disconnected the 500GB drive and re-booted the system. only the 256GB drive shows in C, but when I reconnect the other drive, it is assigned the letter C for a dive letter.

Other info: I'm using an Asrock X370 Taichi motherboard with the lasted bios (3.20).

Windows also sees the drive as a device under drives, but disc management only sees it as part of drive C (location: hardware properties )

GG_art, Nov 23, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

Hi.

It looks like you have installed Windows on that drive at least 3 times. You could try following this guide.

swarfega, Nov 24, 2016
  5. Samuria Win User
    Can you not delete partitions and then create one

Samuria, Nov 24, 2016
  6. Railtech Win User
    Right click on the box where Disk 2 is displayed and select Offline. Once the disk is offline you should be able to Delete the Volumes on the disk then create a new Simple Volume.

Railtech, Nov 24, 2016
  7. Whatphoeb Win User
    I recommend EaseUS Partition Master, in principle, this tool works the same as the Windows Disk Management tool. The difference is that it offers more features and is a lot more flexible.

Whatphoeb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I re-formate this Sata Drive to one partition ? - Similar Threads - formate Sata Drive

2. Can not format drive in partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not format drive in partition: Hi.I have recently added SSD in my laptop and I have installed Windows OS in it. Also, I have HDD, using it as second storage you can say, But HDD was divided in two drive so I deleted one drive and tired to merge it into one. So, I formatted the whole HDD using CMD and it is...
  3. how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions: I have a messed up usb drive. Earlier I had used it for formatting Windows OS meaning installation of Windows 10 via USB. Long time back . So some how it has 2 partitions now. I some how experimenting with diskpart have been able to get one partition back which was 7Gb. I...
  4. how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions

in Windows 10 Support
    how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions: I have a messed up usb drive. Earlier I had used it for formatting Windows OS meaning installation of Windows 10 via USB. Long time back . So some how it has 2 partitions now. I some how experimenting with diskpart have been able to get one partition back which was 7Gb. I...
  5. Re-Formatted USB Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-Formatted USB Drive: I recently booted Windows 10 onto some old laptops, my original attempt using this USB Drive, but the laptops were so old I ended up having to use a disc. When I reformatted the USB Drive 64gb to a format where I could use it as a normal drive, the storage on it was cut in...
  6. How do you re-format a hard drive

How do you re-format a hard drive: How do you re-format a hard drive before installing a fresh copy Win10 on the lap top. Or does the install take of that. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-re-format-a-hard-drive/bfb4a08f-70c7-4401-b2d0-9391ecccd383
  7. How To Format 494 KB "Partition" on Formatted USB Drive

How To Format 494 KB "Partition" on Formatted USB Drive: I should know this. I have a feeling I should use Diskpart but would appreciate some guidance and steps to take. Disk management does not show the 494 KB partition. I guess I want to delete the 494 KB and merge it with the "rest" of the USB stick. When I attempted to format I...
  8. How To Format 494 KB "Partition" on Formatted USB Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Format 494 KB "Partition" on Formatted USB Drive: I should know this. I have a feeling I should use Diskpart but would appreciate some guidance and steps to take. Disk management does not show the 494 KB partition. I guess I want to delete the 494 KB and merge it with the "rest" of the USB stick. When I attempted to format I...
  9. How do I format partition C?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I format partition C?: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, please nice to tell me how I'm creating partition C where Windows is installed. Wait for response! A good day! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/how-do-i-format-partition-c/02d73368-b9b6-4d2a-84ef-0da14c560b9b
  10. How do I install W10 to a SATA drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I install W10 to a SATA drive: When I download my free version of Windows 10, I want to install it to my 128gb SATA drive which is now labeled Drive S, and keep my current installation of Win 7 Ultimate on drive C in case I want to revert back to Win 7. How do I install Win 10 on my SATA drive, change...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i merge a sata and m.2