Windows 10: How do I relocate ProgramData folders or other windows system folders?

Discus and support How do I relocate ProgramData folders or other windows system folders? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Im installing windows 10 on ssd and i have a spinning drive i plan to put frequently changes windows data(temp) and rarely used windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by publicENEMY, Aug 9, 2015.

1. How do I relocate ProgramData folders or other windows system folders?

Im installing windows 10 on ssd and i have a spinning drive i plan to put frequently changes windows data(temp) and rarely used windows data(Installer).

From what i gathered, it is not recommended to do so in audit mode. So, I wonder, is it okay to do so using symlink or junction? Are there any guides for window 10? Would i have problems if I relocate folders other than User folder? Considering upgrading windows in the future, I dont want to upgrade my windows(upgrade not update). I always clean install windows.

Thanks.

:)

publicENEMY, Aug 9, 2015

2. User Folder Relocation from W7: Will configuration be preserved?

Having just gone through the Windows 10 upgrade of my Windows 7 installation, it seems that the process only supported the relocation of the User folder. It did NOT support the relocation of the ProgramData folder. All of the contents of the ProgramData
    folder which had been on my D: drive, are now on my C: drive.

I guess I am going to have to do a clean re-install of W10 in order to get things sorted out :-(

RonRosenfeld, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Windows 10: Start Menu Shortcuts (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos) Broken/Missing Shortcut

Open this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu Places

Change the shortcut target for each shell folder you've relocated. They're pointing to the old location.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 9, 2015
Thema:

How do I relocate ProgramData folders or other windows system folders?

1. How do I relocate ProgramData folders or other windows system folders? - Similar Threads - relocate ProgramData folders

2. Folder relocation/renaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder relocation/renaming: Hi Team,My question is regarding the renaming and relocation of Folders in a company Drive: We have a number of folders that are named in Dutch and wish to add an English translation in the name as well as maybe relocating some them to a different folder.Are the above...
  3. Relocation of Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Relocation of Folders: Can I change the location of folders, say Photos, from SSD drive to internal hard drive? From C drive to D drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/relocation-of-folders/60ff9525-9da6-4468-bba8-bdc0ab627629
  4. Relocation of Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Relocation of Folders: Can I change the location of folders, say Photos, from SSD drive to internal hard drive? From C drive to D drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/relocation-of-folders/60ff9525-9da6-4468-bba8-bdc0ab627629
  5. About Relocate ProgramData Folder to D partition using junction link ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    About Relocate ProgramData Folder to D partition using junction link ?: From https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/9b86c805-508f-589c-2d94-74900c7937adAs the website said, it has the benefit of easier to backup data.Also, I want to avoid the overhead of C Partition that it may not have enough space to store the data of ProgramData folder in...
  6. How do I relocate user folder to C drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I relocate user folder to C drive?: Hi,Several times I have tried to upgrade my pc to the newest windows 10 version without success. After searching on the internet what the problem might be, I found that the problem occurs because my user profile folder is located in my D drive Windows 10 Update Fails with...
  7. Folders in ProgramData: Are this folders safe?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folders in ProgramData: Are this folders safe?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Kriger369 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jd45d3/folders_in_programdata_are_this_folders_safe/
  8. Question: How do I relocate extension-only folders?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question: How do I relocate extension-only folders?: Some programs use folders where they store their settings or plug-ins etc. (like i.e. GIMP). They use extension-only folders starting with a dot (".gimp-2.8"). Usually, they're stored in C:\users\%username%\ Now, I would like to relocate them to a different drive to make...
  9. Relocate folder locations

in Windows 10 Support
    Relocate folder locations: I got myself into this mess. Please pleaseee, if anyone could help me solving it I'd be really grateful since it's driving me mad. Initially I wanted to relocate my main folders such as Documents/Music/Downloads etc. into new location. However, I somehow managed to combine...
  10. Relocating System Storage Folders

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Relocating System Storage Folders: I'm currently running an SSD drive for my operating system. It's only 120 GB and what to do is move the storage folders (ie, My Music, My Videos, My Documents, etc etc etc) to another drive to reduce strain on the SSD Drive. As we all know SSD Drives can be fickle, but so...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to relocate programdata folder in windows 7

2. relocate programdata folder to d: