Windows 10: How do I remove items in the "Open With" list?

Discus and support How do I remove items in the "Open With" list? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I just received my new Laptop/Tablet with Windows 10. I'm not really liking Windows 10 at this point. Anyway I've been installing my programs for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DSD, Oct 9, 2016.

1. DSD
    DSD Win User

How do I remove items in the "Open With" list?

I just received my new Laptop/Tablet with Windows 10. I'm not really liking Windows 10 at this point.

Anyway I've been installing my programs for a couple of days and downloaded one that auto defaulted to opening in Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is the wrong program to open file. Now this is in the Open With list when I right click the file. In the process of finding the correct program to open the file with I now have 3 or 4 entries that are invalid to open the file with.

I would either like to remove all entries in the Open With list for this file type, or unassociate the file type completely. I would prefer to unassociate the file type if that is possible.

In searching the internet I found some things that I thought would work which included deleting the entries in the registry. Nothing I found worked.

Thanks in advance! *Smile

:)

2. 93tid Win User

How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

My favourite is MP3Tag, google it.

93tid, Oct 9, 2016
  3. pichs Win User
    How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

What are third party tag editors?

pichs, Oct 9, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

It always helps to know exactly what program is involved and maybe the file format it uses such as .doc or .docx for Word, .xls or .xlsx for Excel, .wpd for WordPerfect, .wps for Works, .paf or .ged for the LDS Personal Ancestry File program, etc. Internet Explorer, Edge, Firefox, SeaMonkey or other browsers can be set to open .htm and .html files [Web pages].

Berton, Oct 9, 2016
  5. DSD
    DSD Win User
    I am attaching a screenshot because it easier to show than to explain.

How do I remove items in the "Open With" list? [​IMG]

When 7zip installs it doesn't associate itself with any file types. I like it that way.

6. Berton Win User
    Sometimes it helps to uninstall a program which should remove its association and since 7-Zip is available free [you wouldn't lose any money] I'd try that and watch for any prompt that such programs give about what to associate to uncheck them. Then you'd have to be careful when right-clicking and "Open with" that you don't put a checkmark in the "Always use...." box.

Berton, Oct 9, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but....

Cliff S, Oct 9, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, you can disable entries using this free program:

dalchina, Oct 9, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    Always nice when recommending programs to include a link to where to find them.

Berton, Oct 9, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    @Berton - there's a thing called a search engine. People can use that easily. I also have to spend time visiting my mother in a care home. Just wondering why you didn't add the link?

dalchina, Oct 9, 2016
  11. You can select Choose another app and it will allow you to associate that extension to a program all the time.

orlbuckeye, Oct 9, 2016
  12. Berton Win User
    Because like you I have other things to do, mostly responsibly fixing issues on clients' computers.

Berton, Oct 9, 2016
  13. caperjack Win User

the most important reason for posting a link to the app suggested ,is the person looking for help gets it from the same safe site you used *Smile just saying

caperjack, Oct 9, 2016
  14. EdTittel Win User
    I'll do it: OpenWithView is another gem from Nir Sofer, the genius behind NirSoft. The program name is linked to its home page, which has download links at its bottom.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 10, 2016
  15. DSD
    DSD Win User
    It seems like this should work. I changed the setting so 7z wasn't associated with anything, then went to choose default apps and .7z file wasn't in the list. But everything looks the same in the Open With list when right clicking the file. I even tried uninstalling and re-installing 7zip. There must be some setting somewhere that Windows keeps even when a program is uninstalled. I also ran a registry cleaner in between uninstalling and re-installing.

Thema:

1. How do I remove items in the "Open With" list? - Similar Threads - remove items Open

2. How Do I Remove an Orphaned Menu Item from the All Applications List?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Do I Remove an Orphaned Menu Item from the All Applications List?: After the latest 3/2023 Windows 11 update, I discovered I had a program menu entry in my All Apps menu that I could not remove. I removed the offending program through the recommended uninstall method and rebooted to clear any remnants that might have remained. The program...
  3. How Do I Remove an Orphaned Menu Item from the All Applications List?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How Do I Remove an Orphaned Menu Item from the All Applications List?: After the latest 3/2023 Windows 11 update, I discovered I had a program menu entry in my All Apps menu that I could not remove. I removed the offending program through the recommended uninstall method and rebooted to clear any remnants that might have remained. The program...
  4. How do I remove an item from the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I remove an item from the taskbar?: I don't see it in the taskbar settings. That's what came up when I right-clicked on what I don't want. There's too much junk at the bottom of my screen and the latest update added more....
  5. Change "Open with" list items

Change "Open with" list items: Hi! I have difficulties changing open with menu items. My current open with menu looks like that: My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.zip\OpenWith List looks like that: Why doesnt windows respect My...
  6. How do I open calendar items?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I open calendar items?: Greetings, I already tried asking this in Microsoft Answers. My previous Edge was set up properly so that when I clicked on an .ics file it opened Outlook. However, with the new Edge, clicking an .ics brings up the Save As dialog box. How do I fix this? When I go into...
  7. Remove item from "Open with..." list (Not the FileExt registry)

Remove item from "Open with..." list (Not the FileExt registry): I have an app in the "Open with..." list that is not in the location everyone on the internet is pointing to (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\) What are other places that the key could be hidden ? E1: Ok found it, i guess...
  8. Remove item from "Open with..." list (Not the FileExt registry)

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove item from "Open with..." list (Not the FileExt registry): I have an app in the "Open with..." list that is not in the location everyone on the internet is pointing to (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\) What are other places that the key could be hidden ? 135231
  9. Jump List Items not Opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Jump List Items not Opening: Is anyone having the issue where you open your jump list in File Explorer and then click on something like your Videos or Downloads Folder to have the jump list close like normal, but then nothing open? I also noticed that when I right click on the start button, I can't get...
  10. How to remove items in OPEN WITH

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove items in OPEN WITH: When i right click on a HTML file then select open with it lists things like google chrome,Microsoft edge but also some bizarre things like Microsoft jigsaw. I notice also that when i right click on different files different things will appear in the open with menu. My...