Windows 10: How do I reset my Win10 password to something it previously was

Discus and support How do I reset my Win10 password to something it previously was in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I changed my password to something simpler while my friend borrowed my laptop. I just got it back and I can't change the password back to the original... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by canislobo19, Mar 5, 2018.

1. How do I reset my Win10 password to something it previously was

I changed my password to something simpler while my friend borrowed my laptop. I just got it back and I can't change the password back to the original because it does not allow me to set a new password that is the same as a previous password.

How do I get around this?

SOLVED: Only the last 5 passwords are stored in Win10. Reset your password 5 times to something other than your original, then on the 6th time you can set it to your original password.

:)

canislobo19, Mar 5, 2018

2. How can i reset my windows phone to how it was when i bought it, cause i format it to my memory card?

Are you able to use another sd card later if this is done?

GTechQuest, Mar 5, 2018
  3. How can i reset my windows phone to how it was when i bought it, cause i format it to my memory card?

select phone in specially HPC , Nokia 820 or when superecius ,

Thanayuth852, Mar 5, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

How do I reset my Win10 password to something it previously was

I am not sure about this, it's just something I think I've heard a long time ago:

For security reasons, you cannot change a Windows 10 local account password to something you have already used. However, I seem to remember that only 10 old passwords are saved. What it means is that if you really want your old password back, you could try to change it ten times, then the 11th time would let you change it back to your preferred one because it would be removed from the buffer.

Please notice that this is not something I know for sure, it's just something I remember reading a few years ago.

Kari, Mar 5, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    Yes, I vaguely remember something along those lines...

But I have just tried it on one of my local accounts (Windows 10 Home) changing the password once, then back to the original - there were no objections.

Perhaps the OP is using a Microsoft Account and the rules are different?

Or perhaps I turned off 'password history' years ago and had forgotten *Smile
    For Home, only Option Two can be used (the command prompt one).

Enforce Password History for Local Accounts in Windows 10

EDIT: reading further down Brink's tutorial it says....
    ...so perhaps we are talking about a Microsoft Account after all.

Bree, Mar 5, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Ah @canislobo19, I see you've fixed it. If you wish, you can make it so that no passwords are remembered. See the tutorial link in my previous post.

Bree, Mar 5, 2018
  7. EdTittel Win User
    For the record, the official terminology for this stuff is "password history." Here's an article from the Windows IT Pro Center on this topic entitled "Enforce password history." The default policy is now set at 24 passwords, but I dimly recall that at one time (in the Windows NT era, if memory serves), indeed the password history was set at 10 entries. Great article, and thanks for helping me remember/re-learn this bit of Winadministrivia.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How do I reset my Win10 password to something it previously was

1. How do I reset my Win10 password to something it previously was - Similar Threads - reset Win10 password

2. How do I reset this password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I reset this password?: Hi, I got this pc for Christmas before covid and used it for some games like Minecraft but shortly after it kept getting viruses that wouldn’t let windows start up properly during covid so after a few trips to the local computer shop after lockdown was lifted, it’s finally up...
  3. How do I reset this password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I reset this password?: Hi, I got this pc for Christmas before covid and used it for some games like Minecraft but shortly after it kept getting viruses that wouldn’t let windows start up properly during covid so after a few trips to the local computer shop after lockdown was lifted, it’s finally up...
  4. How do I reset this password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. how do I reset my password for facebook

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    how do I reset my password for facebook: how do I reset my passwors for facebook https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reset-my-password-for-facebook/d637c2d5-401e-45f6-8021-026f4adf2e14
  6. how do I reset my password for facebook

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I reset my password for facebook: how do I reset my passwors for facebook https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reset-my-password-for-facebook/d637c2d5-401e-45f6-8021-026f4adf2e14
  7. how do I reset my password for facebook

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How do I reset my Windows password?

How do I reset my Windows password?: I used to use a password to log in. I changed it to a PIN. For a long time I have been able to access my computer without using the PIN. That probably happened when I took the computer to a repairman to install a new hard drive. Today I realized that I no longer remember my...
  9. How do I reset my password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I reset my password: Alright so, I wanna get my password back but the Account Recovery Request doesn't work well since if you tried to take a guess its gonna be unabled to verify. Using the code thingy doesn't work since it uses my old number. Please tell me how to get my password back? Also deez...
  10. How do I change my Win10 password?

How do I change my Win10 password?: I thought this would be easy, my son has been misbehaving and I want to change the password so that I can control how often he logs onto the computer. However, this has proven to be a difficult challenge. I am the administrator on my Win10 machine. I went into Control...