Windows 10: How do i restore a registry value?

Discus and support How do i restore a registry value? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I was having problems with how Win 10 handles metadata on my mp3's. I found a post here that seemed to address the problem. Is Windows 10's File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by BobHalverson, Dec 23, 2016.

1. How do i restore a registry value?

I was having problems with how Win 10 handles metadata on my mp3's.
    I found a post here that seemed to address the problem.

Is Windows 10's File Explorer able to read ID3 v2.4 tags on MP3s?
    I think post #7 is the critical one for this question.

I followed the instructions correctly, but it turned out not to solve the issue for me.
    In fact. i had some serious operational problems after doing this.
    So ...... I wanted to put things back the way they were.

My problem was only with mp3's, so I deleted just the mp3 value from the registry key -- how do i restore it?I tried using Windows Restore to revert to a system a few days earlier, but it failed.(said there were files it could not access, most likely due to my virus protection program)(I can make my kaspersky protection inactive, but it is still running and apparently in the way)
    (I've been working with them to see if I can get restore to work, but not sure if that will be successful or not)
    Is there a way to restore just the registry key for mp3? What data do I put in there?

I posted something on the original thread earlier this morning, but my question got lost in the 22 other responses.
    Any help with this w/b appreciated!

:)

BobHalverson, Dec 23, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 23, 2016
  3. how do I restore Windows Sockets registry

Since updating to Windows10 the Windows Sockets registry required for network connectivity are missing. How do I restore them?

CathyDavis60, Dec 23, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

How do i restore a registry value?

Find the System Restore point before you made this change.

bro67, Dec 23, 2016
  5. How did you start restore? Did you try restore from the trouble shooting, Advance Options, accessed through boot?

I guess another way if you are sure kaspersky is in the way you could uninstall it. Make sure you have your license handy or kaspersky account password (not sure how they validate you on re-install.). Do your restore and re-install.

Before changing your registry you should always to a backup, which they call export of the section you are changing. Google backing up registry and I'm sure there are tutorials in the forum.

I would strongly recommend you look into Macrium Reflect. It is free to home users. Restoring from their backup Image is quick and a lot less stressful. This product is used and recommended by several forum members.

It may even be worth making a Macrium Reflect image backup before you go much further trying anything.

Caledon Ken, Dec 23, 2016
  6. Your suggestion to use settings, update & security, trouble shooting, Advance Options, access through boot ... worked!
    Thanks for the help!

BobHalverson, Dec 23, 2016
  7. Great. You likely know this but if you hold shift key down and do a restart it will take you into trouble shooting.

Caledon Ken, Dec 23, 2016
  8. Barman58 Win User

Always remember when contemplating a change or changes to the registry - regedit allows you to export any key or entry ( from a single key to the complete registry), just by using right Click - Export
    do this before you make any changes, of course *Wink if you need to reset you just double click on the .reg file you created and the job's done

Barman58, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do i restore a registry value? - Similar Threads - restore registry value

2. How do I copy the value of a Registry Key, or part of the value, using a .reg file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I copy the value of a Registry Key, or part of the value, using a .reg file?: I want to set up a .reg file for restoring all my customizations when I reinstall or move to a new computer, but I do not have certainty that the file structure or registry values will be the same. So, I need modify some keys with imperfect information about their values. For...
  3. How do I copy the value of a Registry Key, or part of the value, using a .reg file?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I copy the value of a Registry Key, or part of the value, using a .reg file?: I want to set up a .reg file for restoring all my customizations when I reinstall or move to a new computer, but I do not have certainty that the file structure or registry values will be the same. So, I need modify some keys with imperfect information about their values. For...
  4. How do I copy the value of a Registry Key, or part of the value, using a .reg file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. I want to restore some REGISTRY values

in Windows 10 Customization
    I want to restore some REGISTRY values: I've used registry file to allow me to disable auto arrange in the folders like the desktopBut, it changed the shape of folders to worse and I want to undo this*not talking about the icons*So if anyone can help with me posting the default values or tell me eaier way to...
  6. How do I find all existing values for registry?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do I find all existing values for registry?: I Am tweaking my system for minimum latency. I go to registry a lot. But I Am very careful and not doing any changes, which I don't understand. I usually find what value does, by googling it and find it on microsoft docs, or elsewhere. But sometimes I can't google it, or find...
  7. invalid value for registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    invalid value for registry: I can't open videos or photos, I've check solutions to this problem but none worked. [ATTACH] one of the websites that I've checked said that I should have Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe. registry but when I checked it in registry editor I didn't see any....
  8. How do I reset registry colors to default value?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I reset registry colors to default value?: submitted by /u/AltaiAurelius [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/izqe4o/how_do_i_reset_registry_colors_to_default_value/
  9. How do I fix the registry error: "Invalid value for registry mp4"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I fix the registry error: "Invalid value for registry mp4": Would like to know how to fix the registry error: "Invalid value for registry mp4" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-the-registry-error-invalid-value-for/d9423e8b-f61c-4a1f-b5cf-bbd213f3ea59
  10. Invalid value for registry.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Invalid value for registry.: Hi, I would like to know if there is a possible way to disable the Windows auto update function indefinitely. Eventough I keep disabling them in the Windows Update Settings, somehow the computer end up updating windows again which results being a problem. I am a Windows...