Windows 10: How do I restore system after it breaks

Discus and support How do I restore system after it breaks in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I'm done with this problem. I've been over it so many times and nothing ever works. I'm on Windows 10 64-bit Home I have 2 drives in my PC. One... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by VixinG, Aug 25, 2016.

1. VixinG Win User

How do I restore system after it breaks

Hi, I'm done with this problem. I've been over it so many times and nothing ever works.

I'm on Windows 10 64-bit Home
    I have 2 drives in my PC. One is 60GB SSD, other one is 500GB HDD.

The SSD has only `C:/` on it, with Windows (System partition).
    The HDD has `D:/` and `E:/` on it, which is "GAMES" and "PROGRAMS".

Yesterday I got a BSOD about memory_management and after rebooting I get a "cng.sys is corrupted" error before boot.

Correct order:
    C: Windows
    D: Games
    E: Programs

Wrong (current) order:
    C: Games
    E: Programs
    D: Windows

I plugged in my Windows 10 bootable USB and tried "repair pc during boot", but it couldn't fix it.
    I tried "sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:" and it found no errors.
    Ugh....
    I entered `diskpart` and changed C: Games to G: Games, D: Windows to C: Windows. Rebooted.
    The same error again: "cng.sys corrupted or not found". Okay.
    At least it's in correct order now. C: is Windows.
    I run repair during boot again, nothing.
    I run sfc /SCANNOW, nothing. Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

What do I do now? Can I just download or replace that `cng.sys` from somewhere? *Nerd

/edit: Bootrec /ScanOS: Total identified Windows installations: 0.

:)

VixinG, Aug 25, 2016

2. How do I get Windows 10 back after system restore. Now on Windows 8.

Yes, you can upgrade again.

Download the Media Creation Tool Now

Right click the MediaCreationTool.exe file then click
    Run as administrator.

How do I restore system after it breaks [​IMG]

Note: How
    to verify if you downloaded or installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Select the option Upgrade this PC now if you want to upgrade right away, of if you want to download a ISO image or create a bootable copy on a USB thumb drive, choose
    Create installation media for another PC then click Next

A new option has been added to the setup screen for users reinstalling Windows 10 on a previously installed and activated system. If your system has a Digital License attached to it, Windows 10 will automatically upgraded:

Andre Da Costa, Aug 25, 2016
  3. lacrumb Win User
    lacrumb, Aug 25, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi VixinG and welcome to Tenforums.

This is a first for me, but perhaps you could download Kyhi's custom boot media, navigate to that corrupt file and replace it with a good copy from a working system?
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Then, if there are still boot issues, open Macrium Reflect (also in Kyhi's boot medai), and select the FixBoot option.

That's about all I can suggest. Perhaps others will post with some ideas.

EDIT: Have you run chkdsk on the OS drive?

simrick, Aug 26, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    Can you boot to Windows Safe Mode? If so, run sfc /scannow from and admin command prompt.

If you can't start Windows then the Macrium repair disc is worth a try.

You could try a repair install - see Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Steve C, Aug 26, 2016
  6. altae Win User
    Have you tried the classic boot repair measures?

Change to the UEFI volume into the boot folder. Depending on the way Windows was installed this path maybe one of the following.
    cd /d E:\Boot\
    cd /d E:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    cd /d E:\ESD\Windows\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    Now we will need to enter three command lines to repair the BCD store. Again depending on the way Windows was installed these may not all be necessary, however
    command lines are are unnecessary will not affect the outcome.

• bootrec /fixboot
    • bootrec /fixmbr
    • bootrec /rebuildbcd
    If the above does not help, maybe you can boot into Windows using the Super Grub Disk? I'd give it a try...

It's also possible that the whole EFI partition is corrupted. In this case you would need to create a new one.

altae, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I restore system after it breaks - Similar Threads - restore system breaks

2. How do I get internet access after system restore?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get internet access after system restore?: Hello! Is someone available to help me troubleshoot? I did a system restore on my ACER, I have Windows 10, it shows the internet is connected but it will not allow me to connect.. tried resetting the Network too. No luck. I have McAfee security....
  3. How do I get internet access after system restore?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get internet access after system restore?: Hello! Is someone available to help me troubleshoot? I did a system restore on my ACER, I have Windows 10, it shows the internet is connected but it will not allow me to connect.. tried resetting the Network too. No luck. I have McAfee security....
  4. How do I get internet access after system restore?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. System Restore on a laptop - how do I know system restore is progressing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore on a laptop - how do I know system restore is progressing: Trying to do a system restore to a few days ago screen hasn’t changed in over 2 hours Please wait your windows files and settings are being restored System restore is restoring the registryHow do I know process is progressing?Can I stop and restart process?How long should I...
  6. System Restore on a laptop - how do I know system restore is progressing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore on a laptop - how do I know system restore is progressing: Trying to do a system restore to a few days ago screen hasn’t changed in over 2 hours Please wait your windows files and settings are being restored System restore is restoring the registryHow do I know process is progressing?Can I stop and restart process?How long should I...
  7. System Restore on a laptop - how do I know system restore is progressing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. How do I perform System Restore

How do I perform System Restore: Split from this thread. How do I restore my computer windows 10 to earlier date? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-perform-system-restore/712bf6f8-c461-4d30-be17-54d5f9663a69
  9. How Long to do System Restore

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How Long to do System Restore: Win 10 Pro v1803 My system currently has 4 restore points totaling about 23GB. I recently successfully did a system restore. At first I didn't think it was going to work because it sat there in the "Initializing..." condition for 45 minutes before I gave up watching and went...
  10. OneDrive breaking Windows 10 System Restore

OneDrive breaking Windows 10 System Restore: Has this serious bug that's been around since at least September been addressed in any updates? I haven't tried using a restore point since Version 1809 was released, but not being able to use System Restore is bad news....