Windows 10: How do I restore the older Photos app?

Discus and support How do I restore the older Photos app? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Is there a download to give me the old (prior to Nov 2016) Photos app? I loved the older version and the new update is terrible. I presume that I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by lbeck, Nov 27, 2016.

1. lbeck Win User

How do I restore the older Photos app?

Is there a download to give me the old (prior to Nov 2016) Photos app? I loved the older version and the new update is terrible. I presume that I can do a restore point, but I'd rather have the photos app as the only reinstall.

:)

lbeck, Nov 27, 2016
  2. garym123 Win User

Windows Phone 10: How do I restore an older backup ?

It will do no good to keep old backups with older versions of the operating system you can not roll back to.

If you reset an 8.1 phone it will be restored to the latest 8.1 update that is available.

Backups of the phone at 8.1 do not work and will give problems on phones with Win 10.

Likewise Win 10 backups to not work well for phones with 8.1

Like I said above, change the name of the phone to prevent overwriting a backup.

garym123, Nov 27, 2016
  3. garym123 Win User
    Windows Phone 10: How do I restore an older backup ?

Backups are stored on OneDrive by device name.

On a Windows 10 phone you can change the device name in settings, system, about.

When you use restore the device name is restored along with everything else. If I want to keep the backup I just used one of the first things I do on the newly restored phone is change the name of the phone.

If you get a phone the way you want, backup it up and change the name.

Right now I have a backup stored for an 830 for 8.1 and 10

Change the name of an 8.1 or a 10 phone by connecting to a PC. In explorer, right click the phone and select rename.

garym123, Nov 27, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 27, 2016
  5. lbeck Win User
    No. That doesn't do it. Maybe I wasn't clear on what I want to do.

Sometime recently - within the past month or two - My Windows 10 "Photos" app was changed. Likely with an automatic windows update. I really liked the older version that came with my Windows 10 upgrade. I have been it using as my default photo viewer and editor for more than a year.

I want to get the older Photos app back. The tutorial that you referenced (dated August 2015) is to make the Photos app (the newer version) my default viewer.

lbeck, Nov 27, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    If I may: The mention of Upgrade suggests it kept the version from Win7, maybe Win8/8.1. I had to get a new computer last week and got the Windows Photo Viewer onto it. I used Option One in Brink's linked page, worked fine. One caveat: using some of the 'old' features may require reinstalling after a Version Upgrade such as 1511 to 1607, maybe even an update will kill them. I see the same in keeping the Win7 games running.

However, it is possible you mean what came with the first/released version 10240. Wish I'd known as my computer came with that version and I could have seen it. I had to go through several hours of Upgrades and updates to get it up to Version 1607 Build 14393.447, the most current. My original computer was Win7 Upgraded to Win10 at first release [think the SATA controller is going bad but it is 6 years old].

Berton, Nov 27, 2016
  7. lbeck Win User
    I guess I'm still not being clear. I don't want to make "Photos" my default app or to reinstall the newer version. What I want is the old (prior to October 2016) version back. Maybe someone who actually uses the app can respond.

I'm presenting two images to illustrate the differences in the original and the revised versions of the app.
    How do I restore the older Photos app? [​IMG]

************************************************************************************

lbeck, Nov 27, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm not sure it's possible to keep using an older version of the "Photos" app, and have it continue to work properly.

Brink, Nov 27, 2016
  9. Helmut Win User
    As far as I know you can't change back to an earlier version.
    However, why not look for another one in the MS Store, or a Desktop Application. Maybe you will find something to your taste.
    Once you install Windows 10 then you are buying in to a developing and changing OS and built in Apps/Applications.

Helmut, Nov 28, 2016
  10. lbeck Win User
    Okay. That's the answer - though not what I was hoping for.

There are lots of users that have posted elsewhere that the change in the Photos app is an unwelcome downgrade. I'll choose one of my other programs for a default picture viewer.

lbeck, Nov 28, 2016
  11. jolly Win User
    please let me know if you find a solution to get back the older version of photo viewer. I am desperately looking for that as the new photo viewer is pathetic.

thanks

jolly, Dec 25, 2016
  12. This may be old news to most, but I only recently discovered that some of the removed functionality (highlights / shadows etc) from the 'old' version of Photos has been quietly reinstated...

markweatherill, Apr 19, 2017
  13. jerriy Win User

Mine is not reinsteated

Can somebody help what in the world is going on please with this Windows 10 Photos app?

I just noticed mine has NONE of those functionalities - no highlights/Shadows/Strengthen and so forth

How do I get it back?

jerriy, Nov 10, 2017
  14. Here's where Microsoft has hidden those functions (1709 version of Windows).

Open an image with Photos. In the top right you'll see a drop-down menu 'Edit & Create'. Choose 'Edit'. It opens up 'Crop & Rotate' with 'Enhance' and 'Adjust' headings. Choose 'Adjust'. Now you'll see 'Light' and 'Colour'. Click on the '>' in front of each to open up the desired adjustments.

Now, I'm sure there used to be more under 'Colour' but I'm not sure. I certainly wish the UI would keep still. Just a symptom of what's wrong with Microsoft's attitude to Windows overall!

However, I now trust Photos only to make quick fixes to snapshots. It is nice and fast, but at the expense of accurate rendering of your photos. I have the free version of ON1 Effects for more serious 'quick' editing.

markweatherill, Nov 13, 2017
  15. jerriy Win User
    OK thanks I saw it - they decided to hide it

I cannot imagine the motivation behind that "self sabotage" but anyway I've given up on Microsoft. They seem to be in winding down mode whether they know it or not -- just morphing into another IBM (high profile consumer brand turned into a mundane business-to-business dime a dozen company). So this is probably my last Windows - I will finally migrate to Apple next time cuz there's no way I will ever get used to this extremely dumped down carcass. I think literally half the features of Windows 7 have now been hidden/removed/tucked away/shoved under etc etc (from readily available menu options) and are now only accessible via cumbersome registry tweaks. Oh and one more thing: I love photos but I hate filters (filters seem to be the only "addition" into this degenrate app

jerriy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I restore the older Photos app? - Similar Threads - restore older Photos

2. How to restore the Photos Legacy app on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    How to restore the Photos Legacy app on Windows: Microsoft launched a new Photos application for Windows some time ago. It replaced the previous version of the Photos app, which Microsoft now calls Photos Legacy. Some features of the legacy app were dropped in the new Photos app. These include video editing features,...
  3. How can I restore my photos app?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I restore my photos app?: At some point whenever I tried to open it, an error message would pop up, eventually I deleted the app, but whenever I tried to reinstall it through the Microsoft store, that resulted in an error message as well. I tried to reinstall it via Microsoft PowerShell as one of the...
  4. How can I restore my photos app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I restore my photos app?: At some point whenever I tried to open it, an error message would pop up, eventually I deleted the app, but whenever I tried to reinstall it through the Microsoft store, that resulted in an error message as well. I tried to reinstall it via Microsoft PowerShell as one of the...
  5. older version of photos

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    older version of photos: where can I download older version of windows photos https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/older-version-of-photos/bb8781e9-3a4d-4a7b-bcc2-e34f2a979061
  6. How do i downgrade to a older version?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do i downgrade to a older version?: Ever since they forced me to upgrade to 1903, i am suffering from huge amounts of input lag, the performance of my games have dropped significantly aswell. I tried upgrading to 1909 with the same results. I was completely fine on 1709 until they forced me, i want to try 1809...
  7. How do I restore removed apps?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I restore removed apps?: How do I restore removed apps, after an update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-restore-removed-apps/cfb09564-d20f-4f76-9c12-3bb5d56d9fec
  8. How do I open the Photo App that includes photo editing?

How do I open the Photo App that includes photo editing?: How do I open the Photo App that includes editing? I know how to open Photos, but there is not any editing available. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-the-photo-app-that-includes-photo/a9341ecf-badc-43bc-a314-a22a3ff4e7b3
  9. In Photos App, how do I disable Collections?

In Photos App, how do I disable Collections?: I have lots of photos that I've organized in folders by subject, date, other, or combo. I prefer not to have the timeline of photos constantly available or constantly managed. How do I disable this process?...
  10. How do I restore Start Menu Apps

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I restore Start Menu Apps: Over time, I've deleted almost all the Apps that showed in the Start menu. Now I'd like to put them all back and set the Start Menu so it shows all the original Apps. I've run this command from a Elevated Power Shell several times and it runs to completion then stops and...