Windows 10: How do i restore windows to a new SSD from an external HDD

Discus and support How do i restore windows to a new SSD from an external HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone. I have an acer aspire r14 and it only has 1 slot for a HDD. I have bought a brand new SSD, which I am trying to replace the old HDD with.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CuriousOne, Aug 28, 2015.

1. How do i restore windows to a new SSD from an external HDD

Hi everyone. I have an acer aspire r14 and it only has 1 slot for a HDD. I have bought a brand new SSD, which I am trying to replace the old HDD with. I have an external HDD where i have a system image backup of my windows 10. Since there is only one slot on the motherboard for a harddrive, i will have to take out the old HDD and put the SSD instead. Then my laptop won't have any data on it. My question is, how do i restore my windows 10 from the external HDD, on the new SSD. Does it work if i change boot order and just simply restore or is there something more complicated?

:)

CuriousOne, Aug 28, 2015
  2. paldm Win User

Unable to recover - System drive too small

There is only one OS on the 120GB SSD (system drive) at a time.

Using the system image backup option - I backed up both my Windows 7 OS to an external 200GB HDD, and my Windows 10 OS to a separate external 200GB HDD.

When I was running Windows 7, I would periodically create a new image to the 200GB HDD, and I could reload the 120GB SSD from the saved image whenever I wanted, no issues.

Now trying to restore the Windows 10 from the other 200GB HDD to the formatted SSD, I am unable to using the Windows 10 system repair tool on a 16GB USB drive.

Does that help?

paldm, Aug 28, 2015
  3. How do I transfer Windows 10 to new SSD from Hard Drive inside Dell Inspiron 5548 upgraded from windows 8?

I need to make a clean install of Windows 10 on a new 2.5" intel 256 gb SSD

I have an usb HDD external adapter.

Is there a way to install Windows 10 on the new SSD connected to the external adapter, Boot the PC on the SSD and later activate Windows with the activation key from the original HDD?

Thanks!

TuroCastilleja, Aug 28, 2015
  4. Pendaws Win User

How do i restore windows to a new SSD from an external HDD

I would be looking at getting Macrium Reflect. It will allow you to do a backup and, it has provision
    to make a bootup USB drive so you can set it up on your SSD. I was led to believe this can happen
    from a HDD to an SSD and I cannot see why not? at least if it fails, you don't lose your data off the HDD. *Smile

Greatest advantage, this is FREE *Smile Macrium Reflect Free

Pendaws, Aug 28, 2015
  5. lvgandhi Win User
  6. ramram55 Win User
    Agreed with pendaws.
    Step 1 using free macrium software (install it in your current PC), then clone the internal drive to your new SSD.
    Step 2, At this point the ssd should be your twin of the internal HD.
    Step 3, install the ssd to the pc. boot it up, you are in business. After you are happy with the set up. I am sure you will be. You have 2 external HD in your hands, use one to clone with macrium. If you want, every week or month use alternate one (external drive) to clone your ssd. SSD speed will definitely beats your old HD hands down. If not your SSD is not working right.

ramram55, Aug 28, 2015
  7. well the idea is that i already have a backup image of the system. i don't think i need to make another backup since windows 10 has an option to do a backup/system image

CuriousOne, Aug 28, 2015
  8. ramram55 Win User

It is up to you, it is your hd. My opinion is the more backup the better. You can never trust the OS to do the system restore for you should there be disaster. HD price is dirt cheap, since you have 2 in hand, do something about it. Unless you have something in mind.

ramram55, Aug 28, 2015
  9. Bazz Win User
    Yes mate just pop in the rescue disk you made and boot from it and restore your back up.

10. I guess i will just plug in both of the external HDD and the SSD in the USB slots and just restore the windows from the external HDD(where i have the backup and the system image) to the SSD and then just replace the internal HDD of the windows with the SSD. that should do, right?

CuriousOne, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do i restore windows to a new SSD from an external HDD - Similar Threads - restore SSD external

2. Windows from SSD to External HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows from SSD to External HDD: I am attempting to move Windows from a pre-installed m.2 SSD to a new external HDDSeagate in my brother's HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop. The reason for this swap is because he has purchased a new SSD that has more storage than the current one. The PC did not have an internal HDD...
  3. Windows from SSD to External HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows from SSD to External HDD: I am attempting to move Windows from a pre-installed m.2 SSD to a new external HDDSeagate in my brother's HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop. The reason for this swap is because he has purchased a new SSD that has more storage than the current one. The PC did not have an internal HDD...
  4. How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?

How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?: I have taken a backup from my windows 10 laptop and and am trying to setup that backup on my new windows 11 laptop using the WindowsImageBackup folder which was created on my External HDD. I have used the method from the below link....
  5. How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?: I have taken a backup from my windows 10 laptop and and am trying to setup that backup on my new windows 11 laptop using the WindowsImageBackup folder which was created on my External HDD. I have used the method from the below link....
  6. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?: I have two M.2 SSD's. Removing them is a bit of a pain, I'd like to avoid this if possible.On my old SSD, I have created a system image from the backup settings and stored this on my external hard drive.My new SSD also has Windows on it, but it doesn't have any of my old...
  7. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?: I have two M.2 SSD's. Removing them is a bit of a pain, I'd like to avoid this if possible.On my old SSD, I have created a system image from the backup settings and stored this on my external hard drive.My new SSD also has Windows on it, but it doesn't have any of my old...
  8. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. How do I transfer drivers from HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I transfer drivers from HDD to SSD?: I’m currently running a hard disk as a main boot drive. I have all my drivers on it but I wanted to run an SSD for faster boot time and better performance. Is there a way to avoid driver hunting and just move all of my drivers on a boot SSD? submitted by /u/yagop1 [link]...
  10. How do I move windows 10 to an ssd from an hdd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I move windows 10 to an ssd from an hdd?: I just got a new ssd. Currently my boot drive is my old hdd. I want my new boot drive to be my ssd, but i still want to use my hdd for storing things. Do i just have to change my boot drive in bios? Or what do i have to do? submitted by /u/jesseo5804 [link] [comments]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. restore system image to formatted ssd

2. restore windows from external hdd to internal ssd

3. how to restore new sdd from external backup