Windows 10: How do I restrict access to REGEDIT to regular User?

Discus and support How do I restrict access to REGEDIT to regular User? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi.. I have a Windows 10 PC. One account has admin rights and the other is regular user. I've noticed that if I try to access regedit on the admin... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by macster2075, Jul 11, 2017.

1. How do I restrict access to REGEDIT to regular User?

Hi..
    I have a Windows 10 PC. One account has admin rights and the other is regular user.
    I've noticed that if I try to access regedit on the admin account, I get prompted with the UAC window and I have to click Yes to proceed... which is fine.

My problem is that if I log into the regular user account.. I can go straight into regedit without any prompts at all and it has full access.. however, if I try to access gpedit.msc, I am prompted to enter admin password.

I don't know why this is this way and it has been driving me crazy for a few days now and I cannot find a way to restrict access to regedit to the regular user account.. I know I can disable it in gpedit.msc, but I don't want to do that.. I would like for regedit to prompt me to enter the admin password.. I want to be able to access regedit when I am logged in as the regular user account, but I want it to prompt me to enter the admin password.... is this possible?

Thank you.

:)

macster2075, Jul 11, 2017
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Jul 11, 2017
  3. nokia lumia 710 bluetooth plays music but phone does not work on toyota

Thank you for your reply Mark.
    I tried the phone with a bluetooth headset Motorola H700 that works with other phones and it did not work with the Nokia Lumia. I can hear the phone ringing through the ear piece/headset but no conversation can be heard.
    It is a Windows phone 7.5 and the OS version is 7.108773.98
    The car is a toyota corolla 2013 and it has the following bluetooth specifications:
    Ver. 1.1, or higher (recommended: Ver. 2.1+EDR or higher. It supports the following profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, PBAP and OPP that the phone does not support. Phones like Samsung Galaxy works on the car. I never used this phone with bluetooth considering
    that it is my wife's phone.
    I just updated the phone minutes ago and I tried it again but it did not work.
    Thank you so much for your help
    J.E.

how to do it, Jul 11, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

How do I restrict access to REGEDIT to regular User?

pepanee, Jul 11, 2017
  5. Thanks..I've seen that, but that deactivates regedit for everyone..I dont want to deactivate it..I just want it to prompt users to enter the admin password...that way If I am logged in as regular user, I can still access it.

6. What UAC level does the regular user have set?

TairikuOkami, Jul 11, 2017
  7. All the way up.

8. How do I restrict access to REGEDIT to regular User?

Actually, I just created another user account and by default, it grants access to regedit. This is not good at all. I've tried it on another Windows 10 PC and it's the same, regular user accounts have access to it, which is really strange.

macster2075, Jul 12, 2017
  9. aramil Win User
    aramil, Jul 12, 2017
  10. right.. as I mentioned on my previous post. Doing that actually disables access to regedit to everyone including admin accounts. I do not want to do that. I would like for it to prompt me for the admin password when I try to access it when logged in as a regular user...the same way gpedit.msc is setup.... I cannot access gpedit.msc as a regular user unless I enter the admin password.

11. Try to apply this in that user account.
    Code: reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "ConsentPromptBehaviorUser" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "EnableLUA" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Jul 12, 2017
  12. The big question is why is Windows 10 allowing regular users to have access to regedit?
    I have tried on other Win 10 PCs and it's the same way.. what is Microsoft thinking?

13. aramil Win User

You should be able to change the enforcement policy to users only

Policy Enforcement Options

There are two policy enforcement options that influence the behavior of a software restriction policy. The following options define how software restriction policies are applied for all files, including signed files:

Apply software restriction policies to the following: All files. This option includes dynamic-link libraries (DLLs).

Apply software restriction policies to the following users: All users except local administrators. This option prevents the software restriction policies from applying to local administrators.

aramil, Jul 12, 2017
  14. How would do this? and why isn't this done by default?.. regular users should NEVER be allowed to have access to regedit.

15. aramil Win User
    It's in the actual "Software Restriction Policies" folder in GPedit Right click "enforcement" and select properties.

aramil, Jul 12, 2017
Thema:

1. How do I restrict access to REGEDIT to regular User? - Similar Threads - restrict access REGEDIT

2. How do I restrict a user from downloading apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I restrict a user from downloading apps: I need to be able to prohibit my son from downloading apps on the computer. I would appreciate a solution, but before you answer, please consider: 1 I already have administrator status and he is a standard user. Some advice on this platform has said that this would solve the...
  3. How do I restrict a user from downloading apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I restrict a user from downloading apps: I need to be able to prohibit my son from downloading apps on the computer. I would appreciate a solution, but before you answer, please consider: 1 I already have administrator status and he is a standard user. Some advice on this platform has said that this would solve the...
  4. How do I restrict a user from downloading apps

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  5. Restrict Hide access to programs by user

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restrict Hide access to programs by user: We recently installed several new Win10 computers one of which will be shared by several users. More a matter of limited space than anything else.There are a couple programs on the one unit we do NOT want other users to have access to, let alone see in the start menu or as a...
  6. User access restriction to only user profile

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User access restriction to only user profile: Hi Team,How can I restrict a user to only access his profile C:\Users\exampleuser1.Rest everything should be locked such as folders in C drive the user shouldn't be able to create any folders in C drive or any. Standard read or write access to Program Files or Windows should...
  7. How do I restrict the use of an app for a specific user?

How do I restrict the use of an app for a specific user?: There are many user accounts in my PC and I was thinking that I should restrict the use of an app for a specific user. For eg. I am the administrator and I want another user to stop using google chrome. Can I set any specific set of instructions for that? Thanks...
  8. how to I restrict access to a folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to I restrict access to a folder?: Like can I AT LEAST require users to enter an admin password again??? idk why is option is not available. like maybe I want someone to help edit something on my main account but like you know some stuff is off limits....
  9. How to restrict standard user access to folders

How to restrict standard user access to folders: On my secondary hard drive, I have some folders that I don't want standard users to see or access. How can I go about doing this? Thanks! 17727
  10. How do I change environment variables in regular User account???

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change environment variables in regular User account???: (The number of primitive bugs in version 1511 is just imagination-defying.) Open Control Panel. Open User Accounts applet. On the left there's a link that says Change my environment variables. [img] Clicking on that link... does nothing (!!!). The link is simply...