Windows 10: How do I run chkdsk

Discus and support How do I run chkdsk in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I keep getting this error message...something to the effect of "something wrong w/D drive and needs to be scanned". I went on line and was told to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Fred22, May 20, 2017.

1. Fred22 Win User

How do I run chkdsk

I keep getting this error message...something to the effect of "something wrong w/D drive and needs to be scanned". I went on line and was told to click win key and x, then select command prompt administrator, then type in D f / r / x. Is this correct or should there be spaces ie f/r/x. I seem to be stuck at this point b/c I'm getting "invalid parameters". Help please and thanks in advance.

:)

Fred22, May 20, 2017

2. chkdsk /r - what is this and how do I run?

There is a detailed step on CMD here:

The following steps outline the steps to fix Windows failing to boot and you can boot to the advanced startup options.

http://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2017/05/fix-win...

Sumit Dhiman2, May 20, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    chkdsk /r - what is this and how do I run?

Hi Celeste,

chkdsk is a Windows utility (Check Disk) to check for errors on your hard drive

When accompanied by /f it is a quick way of repairing simple errors on your hard drive

When accompanied by /r it is a more in-depth way of repairing bad errors on your hard drive

These commands are run in what is known as Command Prompt, there is however a much simpler way to do this

Open Windows file explorer

On the left choose 'This PC'

On the right, right click your hard drive, choose 'Properties'

On the Tools tab of the resulting dialog, click 'Check'

If that hard drive is your C drive, windows cannot check it while your PC is on, so you will be asked if you want to schedule a repair, choose yes and restart your PC

The repair will run when your PC restarts

If you do want to run chkdsk in Command Prompt:

Click your Start Button, type cmd, and hit Enter

Run this command and hit Enter:

chkdsk /r

Please Note, this command takes time to complete, so pick a time that suits you . . .

DaveM121, May 20, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

How do I run chkdsk

How do I run chkdsk [​IMG]

Hi, that's how to find out how to format such commands.

E.g.
    chkdsk D: /F

If you are suspicious of the disk rather than just the file system (and it's worth checking anyway) then try
    Hard Disk Sentinel (trial)
    or
    HDTune

chkdsk simply checks the integrity of your files and file system on disk; it can pass on a physically failing disk. It will not inform you if the disk is failing.

dalchina, May 20, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Chkdsk d: /r /x

More info and the order to use the commands(/r /f /x and so on) and what each command does: Chkdsk

But you can do it in File Explorer too:

Cliff S, May 20, 2017
  6. Fred22 Win User
    Here's what I've done so far but under "properties" D: drive is not listed. In fact I can't find it listed any where.

Fred22, May 20, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    According to that, D: is your DVD drive.

How many physical disks are there in your PC?

Please do this:
    Press the Windows key + X, click on Disk Management, and post a screenshot like this:

dalchina, May 20, 2017
  8. Fred22 Win User

How do I run chkdsk

Will do.

Fred22, May 20, 2017
  9. Fred22 Win User
    Here it is.

Fred22, May 20, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Stupid me! I all too quickly assumed your 1st picture was of your PC- of course, it's just some internet guide...*chuckle

So, you have a clean UEFI Win 10 installation, which I assume is 64 bits as you have 6Gb of RAM.
    Disk 1 should appear as D:

But what puzzles me in your useful screenshot is that it has no drive letter in the upper list, but does have one in the schematic below.

I suggest you use Disk Management to see if you can assign it a drive letter (D).

I guess you don't see that disk in file explorer?

I doubt that has anything to do with your initial problem about the format of chkdsk.

dalchina, May 20, 2017
  11. Fred22 Win User
    I don't see D: anywhere. Is it possible there is no D: ? Another question: The PC is running perfectly and fast as greased lightening. Is it really necessary to perform this operation when the PC is not running erratically?

Fred22, May 20, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Can you confirm you don't see D: in file explorer?

If not, something needs fixing. And that screenshot appears to show sthg is wrong.

And running chkdsk is just routine maintenance.
    And you might just as well check your disk is ok as I suggested.
    Running Hard Disk Sentinel would be informative.

dalchina, May 20, 2017
  13. Fred22 Win User

How do I run chkdsk

As I said before I don't see D: anywhere. The PC is running perfectly and I've never run chdsk on any computer I've ever owned.

Fred22, May 20, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Then what is disk 1? It appears to be there... and you said you had some message about needing to scan it.

If you have a disk in your PC that you can't access, you might as well stop it wasting a bit of power, take it out and use it as a paperweight....

I'm just wondering- do you also have full backups- or have you just been very lucky and never had a disk fail?

And as your PC is working perfectly... why start a thread?

dalchina, May 20, 2017
  15. Fred22 Win User
    That's a very good question. I started this thread b/c I was getting the message that something was wrong with D: drive and needed to be scanned. I'm wondering the same thing as you. If PC running perfectly why run chkdsk. When you "This Computer" you should see all your drives, correct? On this laptop I see C: and D: (CD drive). I just went to my desktop and it shows C: and E: (also CD drive). I may be wrong on this point but thought that when you ticked the icon you should see all of your drives. Is that correct? Thanks for your response.

Fred22, May 21, 2017
Thema:

How do I run chkdsk

1. How do I run chkdsk - Similar Threads - run chkdsk

2. Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive.: Hi , my hard disk was recently unreadable by my laptop. It showed the D drive is not accessible error. I have checked online and was suggested to do chkdsk on the external hard drive. I have run the chkdsk using CMD with command chkdsk D: /f / r. At stage 4 the laptop went...
  3. Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop went to sleep mode while running chkdsk on an external hard. drive.: Hi , my hard disk was recently unreadable by my laptop. It showed the D drive is not accessible error. I have checked online and was suggested to do chkdsk on the external hard drive. I have run the chkdsk using CMD with command chkdsk D: /f / r. At stage 4 the laptop went...
  4. What should I run first? sfc, DISM or chkdsk?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What should I run first? sfc, DISM or chkdsk?: Ensure the process is clean and perfect, I want to know what I should run first. Is there a correct order?Update: Edited my subject and description to make it neater....
  5. What should I run first? sfc, DISM or chkdsk?

What should I run first? sfc, DISM or chkdsk?: Ensure the process is clean and perfect, I want to know what I should run first. Is there a correct order?Update: Edited my subject and description to make it neater....
  6. What should I run first? sfc, DISM or chkdsk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. CHKDSK runs before I can input the full command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK runs before I can input the full command: Windows 10 Pro updated on 28/12/2023I'm trying to run "chkdsk x: /f /r /x" , The hard drive in question is X .I cannot input the command quick enough, it always starts with the C drive.Can I make it wait untill I press enter.This is nothing to do with Sticky Notes, I cannot...
  8. CHKDSK runs before I can input the full command

CHKDSK runs before I can input the full command: Windows 10 Pro updated on 28/12/2023I'm trying to run "chkdsk x: /f /r /x" , The hard drive in question is X .I cannot input the command quick enough, it always starts with the C drive.Can I make it wait untill I press enter.This is nothing to do with Sticky Notes, I cannot...
  9. Cannot lock current drive, Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process

in Windows 10 News
    Cannot lock current drive, Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process: [IMG]When trying to run the command-line CHKDSK version on your Windows computer, if you receive the error Cannot lock current drive, Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process, then this post will help you. Cannot lock current drive, Chkdsk cannot run...
  10. Running Chkdsk C: /f /r always get stuck on the same file every time I retry

Running Chkdsk C: /f /r always get stuck on the same file every time I retry: My computer has been trying to scan and repair the C: drive every time I have booted up so I decided to run a dskchk however, it has been stuck on one file every time I have tried this I've even tried waiting 10+ hours for this to resolve but it was just stuck on the same...