Windows 10: How do I save Control Panel in Category view?

Discus and support How do I save Control Panel in Category view? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there a way to save the Control Panel in Category view rather than small icon view? I know how to change it. I just don't know how to save that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by seattle, Sep 19, 2016.

1. seattle Win User

How do I save Control Panel in Category view?

Is there a way to save the Control Panel in Category view rather than small icon view? I know how to change it. I just don't know how to save that change.

:)

seattle, Sep 19, 2016
  2. NikonTim Win User

How do I repair a program in control panel?

....and now it's broken again. Seriously, I spend more time trying to keep my computer working than doing what I start it up to do!!!!!!

NikonTim, Sep 19, 2016
  3. rbardyla Win User
    How do I access Control Panel folder in windows 10?

Try this link to Windows 10 Forum for some added information

Open Control Panel in Windows 10

I have found that if you right click your mouse over the start button will reveal many familiar options.

rbardyla, Sep 19, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, Welcome to tenforums.

I assume you mean once you have selected that view, and close it, you want it to open with the same view.

If so, that's the behaviour I see.

If you don't see that, I suggest you are probably seeing an instance of the age old issue of explorer (the Control Panel is just a special case of using explorer) not remembering a user's last used view.

I'm going to guess you may experience that with any normal folder.

dalchina, Sep 19, 2016
  5. seattle Win User
    Yes, I choose Control Panel and it comes up with small icons. I choose Category view and the next time I go to Control Panel it is in small icon view again.I also have the Home Edition. I understand that with the Pro addition I could use local group policy editor (not available in the Home edition) in Administrator mode and change the defaults. I can create a shortcut icon on the desktop for the Control Panel and when I click that it remembers how I left it. I'd rather just be able to use the Start button menu however. I can't even pin that shortcut to the bottom windows tool bar.I also see that when I go to C drive files and go to Desktop it only shows one shortcut even though I have several there (and I do have hidden files checked so that I can see those). Any idea what is going on there?What do I have to do on here to get the paragraphs to stay. When I press post they all appear as one long paragraph but that's not the way I typed it. Do I have to use some HTML code or something?

seattle, Sep 19, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hello, I'm now lost as to what question you would like someone to answer.

Here are some ways to launch the control panel:
    To create your own hot key, see the first part of this:
    4 Different Ways to Open Control Panel in Windows | Next of Windows

Windows key + X, click Control panel

Type
    Contr
    in Cortana's search box and click the appropriate result

Windows key + R, type 'control panel'

Paragraphing is useful - happy you want to use it. I simply use the 'return' key. You can see I've done that in your text.

Finally, if you use a good start menu (I use Classic Shell, free, which many like) you can do this:

How do I save Control Panel in Category view? [​IMG]

dalchina, Sep 19, 2016
  7. seattle Win User
    Yes, I used the return key as well but it has no effect (for me) on this site.I know how to bring up Control Panel. I just wondered if the setting could be saved but you've answered that...no. *Smile

seattle, Sep 19, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Well, I said I find the view is automatically saved as next time I open the control panel, the view is the same as the last time.

dalchina, Sep 19, 2016
  9. seattle Win User
    I have the answer to the Control Panel issue. When I use Control Panel on the right column of the Start menu it doesn't remember my changes.After I've used it recently and it now shows up in the left column of the Start menu if I use that version it does remember my changes. I think I can pin it to the Start menu so that it will permanently stay there.

seattle, Sep 20, 2016
  10. seattle Win User
    I still don't understand why using a carriage return doesn't show up in my posts in this forum but no where else. Any ideas?

seattle, Sep 20, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, now you've mentioned you were launching the control panel from a tile on your start menu, here's what I see:

1. If I launch the CP from Win key + X or the Run box, then all 3 settings are remembered each time I launch it.
    2. I have now created a tile on my start menu for the CP
    If I launch the CP from that, the settings 'small' and 'large' icons are remembered, but not category view.

I guess that's yet another reason for me not to use Win 10's start menu..!

Sorry, no ideas as to your text formatting-- what happens if you type some text with line spacing in, say, notepad or wordpad and paste that in?

dalchina, Sep 20, 2016
  12. seattle Win User
    I typed this in Notepad using the return key to make a new paragraph. In Notepad this was two sentences formatted as two paragraphs.

seattle, Sep 20, 2016
  13. seattle Win User

I solved the formatting problem. I was using the "ScriptSafe" extension in Chrome and didn't hit "allow" for this site.

I'm now able to have sentences that don't run into each other. *Smile

seattle, Sep 20, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    Well done.. alas sometimes it seems we have to live with MS inconsistencies- the minor ones that is- or find ways to avoid them.

dalchina, Sep 20, 2016
  15. ARYLIOA Win User
    I have the same annoying problem, using Classic Shell. Why there are two different instances of Control Panel is a puzzle, and aside from pinning another pathway to the start menu, there doesn't seem to be an easy edit to point to the proper instance since the link on the right-side of the menu will not display its Properties. I would prefer it on the right side to keep "production" applications separate from services, but no joy so far.

I suspect there is a Registry edit someplace that could be set, but have no idea where.

ARYLIOA, Nov 4, 2016
Thema:

1. How do I save Control Panel in Category view? - Similar Threads - save Control Panel

2. Control Panel view

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Control Panel view: How do I restore Windows view in Control panel from Classic? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-panel-view/e8746c43-4729-477d-b527-5e6acc5230a0
  3. How Do I Launch SRS Control Panel

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How Do I Launch SRS Control Panel: When I installed a set of new speakers (Creative Pebbles), the SRS Control Panel (see photo) popped up. Now I wish to use it to change settings, but cannot find it in my files or audio settings. How do I access it? Is it possible to create a short cut to it? Windows 10 Pro V...
  4. Runtime Errors as a Result of Opening Control Panel in Category View

in Windows 10 Customization
    Runtime Errors as a Result of Opening Control Panel in Category View: Version 1909 the Runtime Error discussed at the following: https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/145996-runtime-errors.html was opened on the 9/12/2019 and appears they discovered a work around to resolve the errors being generating in Control Panel. There's been 2...
  5. Change control panel categories icons

Change control panel categories icons: In this tutorial explains how to change control panel icons, but some of them are missing, (all in categories list) Change Default Control Panel Icons in Windows 10 [img] How to change them? 146282
  6. SearchUI.exe and RuntimeBroker.exe crash when opening Control Panel in Category View

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SearchUI.exe and RuntimeBroker.exe crash when opening Control Panel in Category View: Hey everyone first post here on the windows subreddit. I have tried searching for my issue and while I found many answers regarding SearchUI.exe, Cortana, and the Control Panel I haven't found anything specific to what I am experiencing. I've run into a strange issue that I...
  7. Control Panel Applets (Category View)

Control Panel Applets (Category View): Hello All, I was just wondering if anyone knows where or how I can get hold of the CLSID (GUIDs) for the Control Panel Applets in Category View in the image below: [img] Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you. Regards, Andrew 139570
  8. how do I open Control Panel

how do I open Control Panel: Where is Control Panel? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-control-panel/57000368-e1aa-43db-94b3-06f0e8ca9bec
  9. The Control Panel (Category View)

The Control Panel (Category View): Hi Guys, Does anyone know the GUIDs for the Control Panel (Category View) applets: [img] I'm trying to customise these icons without using a third party software. Appreciate any advise / guidance. Regards, 129497
  10. Control Panel - can't save Large icons view - defaults to original

in Windows 10 Support
    Control Panel - can't save Large icons view - defaults to original: Hi there I still prefer using the control panel rather than go hunting around in settings / right mouse click etc etc --especially if Ms have renamed some of the options. The control panel is still there in W10 CU edition (1703 X-64 Pro) however if I change the view to...