Windows 10: How do I search for the % character

Discus and support How do I search for the % character in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I would like to name some folders with a unique prefix that makes finding them easier. I chose %C as the folder name prefix. In my little test, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kjshort, Jun 18, 2017.

1. kjshort Win User

How do I search for the % character

I would like to name some folders with a unique prefix that makes finding them easier. I chose %C as the folder name prefix.

In my little test, I created some of these folders, and then attempted to use windows search to pull them all up. I find that windows search doesn't look for the % character. I will find another naming system, but can anybody explain this limitation, and whether there is any method to search for that character? - I don't understand why it doesn't work.

thanks v much in advance.

:)

kjshort, Jun 18, 2017

2. How do you search for and replace a character in multiple filenames?

Thank you!

KevinAdamsTMG, Jun 18, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    How do you search for and replace a character in multiple filenames?

This command should do the trick in Powershell:

Dir | Rename-Item –NewName { $_.name –replace "#","" }

DaveM121, Jun 18, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

As the name says, special characters are used for various special purposes, for instance the % sign you mentioned is used to mark environment variables. You can try it yourself to see how it works:
    • Type %userprofile% on File Explorer addessbar, hit Enter to open your user folder
    • Type %windir% on File Explorer addessbar, hit Enter to open Windows folder
    • Type %localappdata% on File Explorer addessbar, hit Enter to open Users\Your_Username\Appdata\Local folder
    • Type %appdata% on File Explorer addessbar, hit Enter to open Users\Your_Username\Appdata\Roaming folder
    To search files and folders containing these special characters use filename:*X (filename followed by : and * plus the character you are searching) replacing X with actual character. For instance to find all files and folders with % sign in name, search for filename:*%.

To find all files and folders with string &Test in file / folder name search for filename:*&Test.

5. Bree New Member
    As Kari explained, % is a special character. Another example of its use is to type this in a command prompt...
    for %n in (3...,2...,1...,zero!) do @echo %n

Try the $ character instead of %. That should have no such problems. Indeed, it's one that Microsoft themselves use for 'unique' folder names (like the $Windows ones that a windows install uses).

6. zbook New Member
    You may be able use third party software to find files on internal and external drives and use the % character. For example on one out of two computers typing % displayed a few files:
    %appdata%
    %temp%

The software is everything search or search everything. It will index all files on your drives. It displays search results instantaneously. The more characters you type the narrower the search results.

zbook, Jun 19, 2017
  7. pepanee Win User
    A good third party search app, which is very nice and simple, is called "Everything". (zbook said search everything / everything search. He's referring to this app, it's only one word: Everything)

By using the app, I just tried searching for the percent sign, and it worked; it found files with the percent sign % in their file name.

pepanee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I search for the % character - Similar Threads - search character

2. Search for "$" character from a bunch of files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search for "$" character from a bunch of files.: I have a bunch of outlook files.eml, which they are in a folder, not on Outlook. I want to search into all the files, all emails that contains the character "$". The searching it´s on Windows searh tool, I´m looking only on the specific folder.I tried to use "$", "*$", *$......
  3. Search for "$" character from a bunch of files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search for "$" character from a bunch of files.: I have a bunch of outlook files.eml, which they are in a folder, not on Outlook. I want to search into all the files, all emails that contains the character "$". The searching it´s on Windows searh tool, I´m looking only on the specific folder.I tried to use "$", "*$", *$......
  4. Microsoft To Do: App slows/freezes when typing just a few characters in search bar

Microsoft To Do: App slows/freezes when typing just a few characters in search bar: This has been happening to me for a long time, but it's intermittent. Windows 11. Microsoft To DoIn side of Microsoft To Do, if I type just one or two characters and don't type a whole word quickly, it will start to search, and then I can't do anything else inside of the app....
  5. Microsoft To Do: App slows/freezes when typing just a few characters in search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft To Do: App slows/freezes when typing just a few characters in search bar: This has been happening to me for a long time, but it's intermittent. Windows 11. Microsoft To DoIn side of Microsoft To Do, if I type just one or two characters and don't type a whole word quickly, it will start to search, and then I can't do anything else inside of the app....
  6. File explorer search characters deleted while typing in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer search characters deleted while typing in windows 11: Hi Team, When I want to search my file in File Explorer I notice some of the characters are deleted. It only happens in the search File Explorer only....
  7. File explorer search characters deleted while typing in windows 11

File explorer search characters deleted while typing in windows 11: Hi Team, When I want to search my file in File Explorer I notice some of the characters are deleted. It only happens in the search File Explorer only....
  8. folder search cannot do Japanese word or character search; please make this possible when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    folder search cannot do Japanese word or character search; please make this possible when...: When trying to search for a word on the files or even within the text files, result is nothing. Unlike for searching English language within the text pad.It does not seem to recognize the Japanese character I entered. Please make this possible and I do not know why you had to...
  9. folder search cannot do Japanese word or character search; please make this possible when...

folder search cannot do Japanese word or character search; please make this possible when...: When trying to search for a word on the files or even within the text files, result is nothing. Unlike for searching English language within the text pad.It does not seem to recognize the Japanese character I entered. Please make this possible and I do not know why you had to...
  10. The new Windows 11 media player lacks search capability beyond the first character in the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The new Windows 11 media player lacks search capability beyond the first character in the...: Music Search ExampleI am also having trouble pasting album art. Is there some trick to this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-new-windows-11-media-player-lacks-search/a1678d86-f5aa-440d-8a84-0737b182e760