Windows 10: How do i select a drive letter so that windows assigns dynamically?

Discus and support How do i select a drive letter so that windows assigns dynamically? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, Ive just created a New Simple volume on a USB flash drive using Disk Management. My laptop has only got drive C: and drive D: dvdrw. I noticed at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sportsfan148, Jan 8, 2018.

1. How do i select a drive letter so that windows assigns dynamically?

Hi,
    Ive just created a New Simple volume on a USB flash drive using Disk Management. My laptop has only got drive C: and drive D: dvdrw. I noticed at the far left in the lower half of the screen it said Disk 1, Removable and it had the drive letter E: attached to it. To the right was unallocated space because I had deleted the volume which was previously Drive E:
    I want the drive letter to be assigned dynamically by windows each time I insert it into my laptop so when the wizard asked for a drive letter for the drive I didn't change the option the wizard suggested which was Drive F: and then formatted etc. So far so good..everything was fine. I thought when I had selected Drive F: that the ;letter would be dynamic. That isnt the case.
    When I remove the flash drive and re-insert it it stays as drive F: whereas it should be drive E: if its dynamic as I only have Drives C: and D: as I explained above. Can anybody explain what Ive done wrong?

:)

sportsfan148, Jan 8, 2018

2. Windows 10 bug - USB Drive vs NAS drive mapping conflict

Hello Hector,

NAS Drivers were assigned drive letters using the Command prompt with the /persistent:YES flag.

Internal SDD/HDD/CD/DVD were assigned drive letters using diskmgmt.msc.

My question is not, how to assign drive letters, but, why Windows 10, assigns a currently assigned drive letter (although not connected) to a USB drive, which then can't be seen ?

e.g. H: is assigned to \\HOME\MyUserId

the HOME NAS server isn't online, so the H: drive icon is shown with a Red x, indicating that it's unable to connect to that drive.

I now plug in a USB Drive. The drive is automatically given the drive letter H:, but because H: is already mapped to a NAS drive, the USB Drive isn't displayed until I delete the NAS drive mapping.

Why can't Windows 10, select the next available free drive letter ?

Are there any registry settings involved with the assignment of drive letters to external USB drives ?

EnglishmanInJapan, Jan 8, 2018
  3. Windows 10 doesn't recognise DOS drive

Hi Simon,

Have you assigned a drive letter to your DOS partition yet? If not, follow these instructions on how to assign a drive letter in Windows 10:

1. Right-click on the Start menu and select Disk Management to open the console.

2. Right-click on the volume (DOS partition) where you'll assign the drive letter.

3. Select Change Drive Letter and Paths.

4. Press the Change button.

5. Choose from a list available drive letters.

6. Click Ok.

7. Select Yes if you're asked if you're asked if you really want to do this.

8. Close the Disk Management console and restart your PC.

Let us know how it goes.

Rolando Vil, Jan 8, 2018
  4. How do i select a drive letter so that windows assigns dynamically?

Caledon Ken, Jan 8, 2018
  5. Is there no way of setting up a dynamically assigned drive letter for the USB flash drive from within Disk Management? I know you can change drive letters in there.

That link was on a thread I started. I'm not too familiar with Diskpart so I was bit unsure. It said Select Disk 1, Select Partition 1 and Assign. I wasn't sure if in my case it should have been Select Volume # and Select Assign. I'm not sure what the difference is between a partition and a volume. And it really confused me in Disk management when Id deleted the volume. As expected it changed to Unallocated Space with drive letter removed. But the drive letter on it shifted over on to the Disk on the far left of the screen i.e Disk 1 Removable Drive E:

Ive posted on the Microsoft Community as well. Someone on there has said the first time you insert a mass storage device such as a USB flash drive into the laptop that a drive letter is assigned and that the letter is then fixed. Do you know if that's correct? I thought that Windows was supposed to automatically assign flash drive letters dynamically?

sportsfan148, Jan 9, 2018
  6. Layback Bear, Jan 9, 2018
  7. spunk Win User
    Partition and Volume are basically the same just called different name depending on the situation.
    You can use the word Partition or Volume in Diskpart,
    Start a Command Prompt as Admin, type Diskpart press enter
    (ie) DISKPART> here type List Volume, the various Volumes (Partitions) are listed with Volume numbers. Now type
    Select Volume (#) where you type the number of the Volume you want to select., then press enter. The Volume has an asterisk next to it showing it is the selected volume.
    Now type Assign and press enter. Diskpart will dynamically assign the next available drive letter.
    Type Exit to leave Command Prompt.

spunk, Jan 9, 2018
  8. How do i select a drive letter so that windows assigns dynamically?

I'm wondering if I'm misunderstanding how dynamic Drive Letter Assignment works. In my case where F was assigned in Disk management but my next available drive letter is actually E...what would happen if another flash drive was inserted at the same time that had also been assigned F Would one of them be dynamically assigned another drive letter or would there be a conflict where one of the drives wouldn't be recognised?
    Or to put it another way..disk management set up letter F on the drive. I'm thinking that it is fixed because it didn't revert to drive E when I unplugged and re-inserted it. Is it actually a dynamic letter F but it will only actually change now if I insert another flash drive in my laptop before it that has that same letter F ?

sportsfan148, Jan 9, 2018
  9. Sorry I didn't really look through thread, just remember Bree had posted instructions.

I guess I never paid that much attention to the drive letter. I just use explorer to locate drive by its label and then do what I need to do. If the drive isn't there I open up Disk management and assign it a letter out of list.

Caledon Ken, Jan 9, 2018
  10. Thanks very much for your guidance

sportsfan148, Jan 10, 2018
  11. Thanks Ken. I think I might label the drives clearly and do the same

sportsfan148, Jan 10, 2018
  12. sportsfan148, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How do i select a drive letter so that windows assigns dynamically?

1. How do i select a drive letter so that windows assigns dynamically? - Similar Threads - select drive letter

2. How do I assign a drive letter to an empty volume in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I assign a drive letter to an empty volume in Windows 10: So I have the two drives displayed above in my computer, but when I right click them the only option I get is 'Delete Volume...'I would love to know how I can make these drives options to 'Mark Partition as Active' or 'Change Drive Letter and Paths...' active....
  3. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  4. How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?: I assigned a permanent drive letter K: to a USB drive that I use for backups (the drive letter is hard-coded in the backup script). I bought a new larger-capacity USB drive to replace it. So I need to un-assign K: to the old drive and re-assign to the new drive. I want to be...
  5. How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I remove a permanently-assigned drive letter?: I assigned a permanent drive letter K: to a USB drive that I use for backups (the drive letter is hard-coded in the backup script). I bought a new larger-capacity USB drive to replace it. So I need to un-assign K: to the old drive and re-assign to the new drive. I want to be...
  6. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  7. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  8. Cannot Assign Drive Letter

Cannot Assign Drive Letter: Normally when a drive has no drive letter, I can assign one in disk manager but not this time. Disk Manager does not provide the option of assigning a drive letter so I cannot use the drive??? [img] 111481
  9. USB flash drive --assign drive letter back to dynamic from static

USB flash drive --assign drive letter back to dynamic from static: Hi, I have a USB flash drive that the Media Creation Tool messed up when it was formatting it to create installation media. Ive worked out how to fix the flash drive. I just have to use disk management to create a new simple volume on it, I then have no option but to assign...
  10. Cannot assign a drive letter

Cannot assign a drive letter: Hi folk. I have an external drive where the electronics of the case has failed. I have switched the drive into my pc so that I can use it as an internal drive. The drive is still operational but I cannot see it listed in my drives. Opening up disk manager shows the drive is...