Windows 10: How do I set default app for filetypes not listed?

Discus and support How do I set default app for filetypes not listed? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have an editor VIM which I'd like to set as the default app for .bat files. Actually it doesn't have to be THE default app, but preferably I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bertilak, May 31, 2023.

1. Bertilak Win User

How do I set default app for filetypes not listed?

I have an editor VIM which I'd like to set as the default app for .bat files. Actually it doesn't have to be THE default app, but preferably I would like it listed as an ap that can be used for that file type.Unfortunately, the setting for assigning default apps does not list the .bat file type. Hoe can I do what I want to do?

:)

Bertilak, May 31, 2023
  2. dalchina Win User

Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

Hi, I don't have Acrobat installed. With Sumatra as my default pdf reader, that hyperlink to a pdf docoument opens in.. yes.. Sumatra. Changing to Edge:

How do I set default app for filetypes not listed? 227173d1552483448t-unable-change-default-app-protocol-filetype-snap-2019-03-13-13.25.01.png

the hyperlink opens in... yes.. Edge.

If, as seems the case, Bluebeam is correctly associated with pdf files, I can't say why the hyperlink fails. Your guess about the protocol may be right- I don't know. If you could make any change to that to test that theory, as you suggest, that would help.

If you wish to view the relevant registry key, a convenient way to get there is via free Filetypesman - a rt click option.

How do I set default app for filetypes not listed? 227175d1552481452t-unable-change-default-app-protocol-filetype-snap-2019-03-13-12.51.15.png

dalchina, May 31, 2023
  3. dalchina Win User
    Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

Hi, just considering what is shown in the Open With options, for example:

How do I set default app for filetypes not listed? 227072d1552402754t-unable-change-default-app-protocol-filetype-snap-2019-03-12-14.57.25.png

Here you can see Sumatra is my default reader.

How do I set default app for filetypes not listed? 227073d1552402839t-unable-change-default-app-protocol-filetype-untitled.png

Here you can see Sumatra and Chrome are added to the Open With list, + Edge, a system default.

The choice presented to you for .fdf, .pdfxml, .pdx for example, should depend on whether Bluebeam has correctly registered itself in the appropriate place as capable of handling those extensions.

So, for example, is Bluebeam shown in the Open With list for those extensions?

It is not enough that a program is installed that is potentially capable of handling a file type (e.g. via an Open dialogue) but that it be so registered. That is up to the author to specify.

Application Registration - Windows applications | Microsoft Docs

How do I set default app for filetypes not listed? 227081d1552404017t-unable-change-default-app-protocol-filetype-snap-2019-03-12-15.18.40.png

This opens in Sumatra, my default.

Unfortunately this option in the Control Panel now opens in Settings:

How do I set default app for filetypes not listed? 227082d1552404550t-unable-change-default-app-protocol-filetype-snap-2019-03-12-15.28.26.png

and does not allow you to do what it claims.

dalchina, May 31, 2023
  4. fpefpe Win User

setting default app for filetype

Hello --

What did I miss here?

I wanted to change the default app to process a zip file ---

So I when to the screen to set the default apps, selected the option to set the

app by file type

I then scrolled down the list an found .zip

clicked on it and I got to see all the apps that could process a zip file -- but,

then one I wanted to use was not listed there -- so I was looking for the "browse" option, but it was

not there!!! --- I could have when to the MS store, but that is NOT what I wanted to do

I had to resort to using the commands ftype and assoc to get this to work

what did I miss here?

fpefpe, May 31, 2023
Thema:

1. How do I set default app for filetypes not listed? - Similar Threads - set default app

2. How do I set default app for filetypes not listed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set default app for filetypes not listed?: I have an editor VIM which I'd like to set as the default app for .bat files. Actually it doesn't have to be THE default app, but preferably I would like it listed as an ap that can be used for that file type.Unfortunately, the setting for assigning default apps does not list...
  3. Settings: 'Choose a default app by filetype'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings: 'Choose a default app by filetype': I am trying to set a default app for an extension but the default apps list won't show the app even though it is operational, listed under 'Apps and features' and valid. How can I select this app?...
  4. Set default list in Microsoft To Do

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Set default list in Microsoft To Do: Is it possible to have To Do open to a custom/user defined list? If so, how is that done? NOTE: I checked https://todosupport.helpshift.com/a/microsoft-to-do/?p=web but there was nothing there on this topic. Thanks for any help you can offier....
  5. setting default app for filetype

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    setting default app for filetype: Hello -- What did I miss here? I wanted to change the default app to process a zip file --- So I when to the screen to set the default apps, selected the option to set the app by file type I then scrolled down the list an found .zip clicked on it and...
  6. Can't set default apps to open filetypes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't set default apps to open filetypes: It is completely impossible for me to change or set a default program for any files. The "Open With" window doesn't function and the "Choose default apps by file type" just freezes and doesn't change any time I set a default program....
  7. Failed to set default program for a .sai filetype

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Failed to set default program for a .sai filetype: Hello, I don't know why but every time I set the default program (sai.exe) to open a .sai file, it doesn't applied. The file type is still unknown to windows and need to use "Open with" every time I want to open it. I checked the "default program by file type" in the...
  8. How do I add an app to the list of applications for setting file "open with" defaults

How do I add an app to the list of applications for setting file "open with" defaults: I just installed DesignCad on my Windows 10 PC which creates a file with the extension .dcd. I have used this program on other Windows PCs and have never had a problem opening these files from the file explorer. Now, I'm getting the message that Windows doesn't know which...
  9. How do I add an app to the list of applications for setting file "open with" defaults

How do I add an app to the list of applications for setting file "open with" defaults: I just installed DesignCad on my Windows 10 PC which creates a file with the extension .dcd. I have used this program on other Windows PCs and have never had a problem opening these files from the file explorer. Now, I'm getting the message that Windows doesn't know which...
  10. Default apps in settings is not on the list

Default apps in settings is not on the list: I have a relatively new acer aspire, bing has sneaked into being my default browser but I can't change it because there is no Default apps in settings, it's not on the list. What can I do?...