Windows 10: How do I set the priority of an application?

Discus and support How do I set the priority of an application? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 for a machine tool control application. I need several exe files to have top priority. Is there a way to set this in Windows 10?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AndyD, Aug 2, 2016.

1. AndyD Win User

How do I set the priority of an application?

I'm using Windows 10 for a machine tool control application. I need several exe files to have top priority.
    Is there a way to set this in Windows 10?

Thanks,
    Andy*Nerd

:)

AndyD, Aug 2, 2016

2. How do I change the priority order of WiFi networks?

How do I change the priority order of known WiFi networks? At minimum I'd like the same simple 1-2-3 ordering options as on any desktop.

Preferably I'd like an additional switch to "switch to any known network with a stronger signal" that would do just that if it can get an extra bar of tone.

To make three suggestions in one, if a connection doesn't have Internet tone it would also be nice to report that and switch automatically to another known network.

Any of these would solve the issue, all three would make a great launch or update demo (hint hint). Here's my scenario - I have a few hotspots available around home - a primary, a bridge, and a portable LTE hub - mainly for travel - but also for when the
    primary goes out and I'd rather finish what I'm doing than walk two flights to reset the primary. That's the case right now - I've been working on my laptop all afternoon on my portable hub but my phone keeps switching back to the network I configured first,
    which also happens to need a reset. Similar situations exist with office, home and public WiFi networks everywhere. Why shouldn't a SmartPhone be able to roam from zone to zone with data the way we can with cell? Sounds like evolution to me.

Cheers,

-Eli.

Eli Robillard, Aug 2, 2016
  3. angryvoucher, Aug 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Aug 2, 2016
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    I will assume the purpose is to make the processes more responsive. In that case increased priority is a legitimate method. With a quad core CPU more priority will likely do nothing for their performance.

Just be sure you do not go too far with increased priority. Above Normal priority should enough, High at the highest. Real Time priority is dangerous and should not be used unless you REALLY understand what you are doing.

LMiller7, Aug 2, 2016
  6. AndyD Win User
    Yes the purpose is to make the process more responsive. The process has to communicate with the control board. If communication stops, the process is shutdown for safety reasons. With Windows 10 the OS ran another behind the scenes process and the main process closed. I need Windows 10 as lean as possible to give the main process most of the CPU time.

Thanks for the input.
    Andy

AndyD, Aug 2, 2016
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    This was a problem with single core CPUs but with 4 cores you shouldn't have any problems.

LMiller7, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I set the priority of an application? - Similar Threads - set priority application

2. How do i permanently set affinity/priority in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i permanently set affinity/priority in windows 11?: I need the process "audiodg.exe" that is always running the background, to only be using 1 single core. The problem is, out of nowhere completely randomly, it will reset itself and use all cores again. Is there any way at all to make sure that it is ALWAYS using a single core...
  3. How do i permanently set affinity/priority in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i permanently set affinity/priority in windows 11?: I need the process "audiodg.exe" that is always running the background, to only be using 1 single core. The problem is, out of nowhere completely randomly, it will reset itself and use all cores again. Is there any way at all to make sure that it is ALWAYS using a single core...
  4. How do I set my network priority?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I set my network priority?: When I turn windows on it takes a few minutes to connect to the wifi. I suspect this happens because windows is trying to connect to a vpn network which I usually have turned off and only after it gives up it connects to the wifi. I searched online and some tutorials seem to...
  5. How do I set my network priority?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set my network priority?: When I turn windows on it takes a few minutes to connect to the wifi. I suspect this happens because windows is trying to connect to a vpn network which I usually have turned off and only after it gives up it connects to the wifi. I searched online and some tutorials seem to...
  6. How do I set my network priority?

7. How to check an applications priority

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to check an applications priority: I run an application that is very processor intensive. I would like to know if there is a way to check if this application has a higher priority? If so how would I go about lowering its priority?...
  8. How to check an applications priority

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to check an applications priority: I run an application that is very processor intensive. I would like to know if there is a way to check if this application has a higher priority? If so how would I go about lowering its priority?...
  9. How to check an applications priority

10. How do I set affinity and priority for program permanently/automatically

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I set affinity and priority for program permanently/automatically: I have an app that seems to only be stable when given certain cores and a high priority, but each time I open it, I have to manually go into task manager todo this. How do I make it so that its affinity and priority are automatically set to these when I open it?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the priority of application