Windows 10: How do I set up a cable modem?

Discus and support How do I set up a cable modem? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Motorola SURFboard SB5101 modem which I'm trying to set up as a backup internet connection. When I plug it into the cable and the computer,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gregyurkon, Aug 11, 2016.

1. How do I set up a cable modem?

I have a Motorola SURFboard SB5101 modem which I'm trying to set up as a backup internet connection. When I plug it into the cable and the computer, the LEDs indicate that it's connected to the internet and communicating with the computer, but I can't figure out how to get the computer to connect through the modem. Every option I try in the "Setup a new connection or network" part of Control Panel seems to be the wrong one. Can someone tell me what to do?

:)

gregyurkon, Aug 11, 2016

2. HOW DO I SET UP MY EMAIL WITH TIME WARNER CABLE TO BE A SHORTCUT ON MY DESKTOP?

Hi Rachel,

I would like to isolate this issue that you're having right now with your Email setup. Does your email provider has an app that you can install on your device? Normally for this process, you can use your Mail app for you to organize your email accounts.
    You can also contact your email provider for the settings needed to set it up on your device.

Regards.

Leviozar Gam, Aug 11, 2016
  3. HOW DO I SET UP MY EMAIL WITH TIME WARNER CABLE TO BE A SHORTCUT ON MY DESKTOP?

I AM COMPUTER ILLITERATE AND I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO SET UP MY GRANDPARENTS COMPUTER FOR THIER TIME WARNER CABLE EMAIL TO BE A SHORTCUT ON THIER DESKTOP PLEASE.

RachelBurnett1, Aug 11, 2016
  4. SoFine409 Win User

How do I set up a cable modem?

Hi gregyurkon, Not to be flip but wouldn't your ISP have step by step instructions for you to follow? Maybe I'm not understanding your question.

SoFine409, Aug 11, 2016
  5. I'm pretty sure, based on the LEDs, that the modem connects to the internet, but I can't get Windows to acknowledge the modem and go online.

gregyurkon, Aug 11, 2016
  6. Most ISPs limit the models they allow to connect to their cable network. Even if you have a model that is allowed by the ISP, you still have to contact them to provision the device on their network.

Contect your ISP and have them walk you though the process, they will confirm that the settings are correct and then make the necessary changes on their side to allow the device (modem) to connect. This is the way ISPs protect their network resources - a rogue modem might wreak havoc.

Good luck.

Slartybart, Aug 11, 2016
  7. SoFine409 Win User
    Much better explanation than my response. Well done.
    Bob

SoFine409, Aug 11, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Are you paying an internet service provider for a second internet connection? You have to pay them to have them connect the modem to their network. It's like a cell phone. It will still pick up cell signal and show signal bars, but you can't make a phone call unless you are actually paying someone for the cell service.

As long as the modem is one that is compatible with your ISP, you can usually switch modems for free - so if your primary modem fails, you connect the backup modem to the cable and call the ISP to switch your internet service to it. You will need the MAC address of the modem off a label on it.

NavyLCDR, Aug 11, 2016
  9. topgundcp Win User
    As NavyLCDR stated above. You cannot hook up another Cable Modem and expect it to work since each modem has its own MAC Address on the bottom. You must call your ISP and give them the MAC ID of the modem so they can register it in your account database, set up the speed which you subscribe for.

If the modem given to you from your ISP, for example: Comcast, there's a monthly fee of ~$7 + tax as long as you have the service, call them up and give them the MAC ID of your SB5101 (DOCSIS2.0) so they can activate it, return the modem to them so you would not have to pay the extra fee. All brand modems will either have DOCSIS 2.0 or DOCSIS 3.0 (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) depending on what kind of speed you subscribe for.

DOCSIS 2.0 (1 Channel) – 38 Down; 27 Up (Might have IPv6 support)
    DOCSIS 3.0 (1 Channel) – 38 Down; 27 Up (Must support IPv6)
    DOCSIS 3.0 (4/4 Channels) – 152 Down; 108 Up (38 x 4 and 27 x 4)

topgundcp, Aug 11, 2016
  10. Thanks for the info. (I should have responded sooner.)

gregyurkon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I set up a cable modem? - Similar Threads - set cable modem

2. how do i set up yahoo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i set up yahoo: oooooo https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-set-up-yahoo/c83dd1e4-96e3-4baa-b901-d4b5d7caafde
  3. How do I set up a PIN?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set up a PIN?: Can’t login using nmy password. Help trying to login. Need a PIN and it won’t let me A1B2C3 won’t work!!!’ HELP!!! Yhis id my 3 time but it refuses to let me login. This is RIDICULOUS!!! Why can’t I use my PASSWORD?????...
  4. I have an internet issue not related to the modem or cables

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have an internet issue not related to the modem or cables: I've been surfing sites mostly on Mozilla Firefox and pages are slow to download. Oddly, Amazon and YouTube work well...I have no idea why these two are okay.Sometimes, my browser brings up a blank screen, or one with an error message like the following saying Secure...
  5. I have an internet issue not related to the modem or cables

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have an internet issue not related to the modem or cables: I've been surfing sites mostly on Mozilla Firefox and pages are slow to download. Oddly, Amazon and YouTube work well...I have no idea why these two are okay.Sometimes, my browser brings up a blank screen, or one with an error message like the following saying Secure...
  6. I have an internet issue not related to the modem or cables

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I have an internet issue not related to the modem or cables: I've been surfing sites mostly on Mozilla Firefox and pages are slow to download. Sometimes, it just brings up a blank screen, or one with an error message. This has happened in Microsoft Edge and Chrome, so I don't think I turned off or on anything in Firefox. The problem...
  7. Modem setting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Modem setting: Hi! Whenever I enter 192.168.1.1 to access my modem setting, my browser shows nothing and say it's connection issue! what should I do now?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/modem-setting/eb6ca333-df21-4661-a819-9348bf694725
  8. Cable Modem/router + Personal router

Cable Modem/router + Personal router: My cable company provides a box that is a modem & router. I also use my own router attached to the cable modem. I have done nothing to the cable box except attach a cable from my router to it. Do I need to "Bridge" the cable router or can I use the WiFi from it along with the...
  9. issues setting up a connection into a 3g modem

issues setting up a connection into a 3g modem: im trying to connect to a remote 3g/4g modem that has a visualisation webserver connected to it - but i cannot seem to set up a dial into connection properly - any tips...
  10. Unable to connect to Cable Modem

Unable to connect to Cable Modem: I have an issue with my Windows 10 PC not connecting to my cable modem by ethernet cable. I connect the PC to the modem and all I get is "unidentified network - no internet", yet my laptop connects to the modem by ethernet (I'm using it now) just fine. I've tried everything I...