Windows 10: How do I share a large video without uploading it to a website?

Discus and support How do I share a large video without uploading it to a website? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a large wmv video that I want to share with a friend. How do I go about that without putting it on a USB stick or uploading the whole video to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Alicia J, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Alicia J Win User

How do I share a large video without uploading it to a website?

I have a large wmv video that I want to share with a friend. How do I go about that without putting it on a USB stick or uploading the whole video to a service like Google drive?

:)

Alicia J, Jan 22, 2018

2. unable to send video files

There may be a limit on gmail on how large an attached file can be, often the limit is around 5mb, all you can do is use a file sharing site like dropbox or use skydrive or googledrive to upload the video & then send the link to the file via email.

hth,

Doctor9fan, Jan 22, 2018
  3. How to add description and tags from mobile device

I'm uploading pics and video directly from mobile device to particular album for public sharing (I do it via mobile web page upload on N95, the only convenient way for me).

But how to add description and tags to published file, using only mobile device, without access to PC?

It is quite easy using "Share online" application when uploading files, but it works only for mymedia library. You cannot upload files to albums using Share online.

hubton---01, Jan 22, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

The issue is, and always has been, limits placed on both the sending and receiving ISPs file sizes. By Uploading to a file sharing site 1/2 of the issue is eliminated then the desired user can Download according to the speed/bandwidth allowed by their ISP. Also, and not often mentioned, there are issues with the source/sending computer remaining on and connected for the entire duration of the transfer either Up or Down once started, also applies to attachments to E-Mail messages. Sleep and Hibernation can interfere with that, tend to stop running processes.

I haven't had occasion to try it but TeamViewer, RemoteAccess or LogMeIn may allow direct transfer your computer to their computer.

The quality/resolution of any images or videos affect the file size in turn affecting the time required for the transfer.

Berton, Jan 22, 2018
  5. Clintlgm Win User
    I use go to my PC (log me in) small file transfers go pretty well, larger files can take a long time. A;so your server or client cound time out and disconnect. Currently uploading to a cloud service is the most practical way to do this. Another thing is multiple people can download from your single upload. Otherwise burn it to DVD and snail mail it.

Clintlgm, Jan 22, 2018
  6. cereberus Win User
    Put file on an external drive and setup pc as an ftp file server, with strong password and only access to that folder etc. In the end, I woukd use onedrive as it has to be uploaded once anyway by your friend.

It will probably be much faster for your friend to download from onedrive than upload from your pc.

Also using a cloud service is more secure.

cereberus, Jan 22, 2018
  7. Mooly Win User
    It might be useful to know how large is large i.e. how big is the actual file ?

Mooly, Jan 22, 2018
  8. lx07 Win User

Realistically, you can't.

If you don't physically give them a copy then you need to upload it. Your choices are:

1. Upload it to cloud and they can download it from there.
    2. Upload it to your email provider and they can download it from there (if it isn't too big)
    3. Change your router settings and firewall (or use Teamviewer or some such) so they can directly download it from you. Note that in this case the file still needs to be uploaded from your PC and downloaded to theirs unless you have a cable running directly between your PCs.

In all cases the time it takes will probably depend solely on the upload speed you get from your Internet Service Provider. I'd therefore probably go for option 1 as it is easier and more reliable - unless it is very private perhaps.

9. Samuria Win User
    You can use Google drive one drive YouTube or similar

Samuria, Jan 22, 2018
  10. Alicia J Win User
    It was a 750MB file. I finally decided to upload it to Google drive.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Alicia J, Jan 22, 2018
  11. lx07 Win User
    I uploaded 25GB of music for my son to OneDrive. Took nearly 3 days to upload as my internet connection is slow. Still faster (and cheaper) than putting it on a USB and posting it to another country though.

12. Alicia J Win User
    Yes once it's on the drive it's very convenient to share it.

Alicia J, Jan 22, 2018
  13. skcusime Win User

skcusime, Jan 22, 2018
  14. Alicia J Win User
    I haven't used it before but I'll take a look at your link for future reference. Thanks.

Alicia J, Jan 23, 2018
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks

I think you are attacking this the wrong way

presumably if it's a video / audio file then you could simply get your user to view it via streaming -- if you know how to share a directory over a network then at the remote end (the client) could simply view or listen with KODI or equivalent -- this would easily work so long as the multi-media Internet stream doesn't drop below around 3 - 4 Mb/s on any end of the connection. On most ISP's download is mega faster than upload but there's only a stream needed in this case. If the end user wanted to keep the file then while playing the end client could use a video capture device or simply record the audio.

Another way would be to load it up as a torrent -- torrents don't always have to include illegal things or have "nasties in them. Also you share the load on your PC so the actual transfer would be better at the download time - and once you've seeded the stuff you can logoff.

The problem of torrents is that in loads of countries the bigger torrent sites are blocked - these are the sites with the most users so less load on your PC. However if you know about TOR and "Onion" addresses then all these blocks are ineffective -- even that site which has an image of a ship flying The Skull and Cross bones is accessible. Both parties though will need access to the same torrent site.

For TOR

Download Tor

For more detail on some of the sites use

DUCKDUCKGO as search engine here :
    DuckDuckGo

Snail mail is also reasonable these days -- a DVD doesn't cost much to post from almost any two countries in the planet -- difficulty is that some computers don't have CD/DVD drives any more.

My preferred method would be the Server route. Share the file and let the end client play it via KODI etc on the remote piece of equipment.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I share a large video without uploading it to a website? - Similar Threads - share large video

2. Windows 11 crashes during large file/video uploads

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 crashes during large file/video uploads: Hey,I am running Windows 11 on my new PC. When I'm running an application and uploading files in the background, the PC crashes. Usually it will simply freeze up, but recently I got a very brief "Your computer ran into a problem" message with the large ":" before the computer...
  3. Windows 11 crashes during large file/video uploads

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 crashes during large file/video uploads: Hey,I am running Windows 11 on my new PC. When I'm running an application and uploading files in the background, the PC crashes. Usually it will simply freeze up, but recently I got a very brief "Your computer ran into a problem" message with the large ":" before the computer...
  4. large video file sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    large video file sharing: I have several large 25GB video files on an external drive attached to my W10 PC. Instead of uploading them to a cloud folder, is there a way to share them over a WiFi home network with another PC or device? How will the other device locate/discover a shared link? Must the...
  5. large video file sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    large video file sharing: I have several large 25GB video files on an external drive attached to my W10 PC. Instead of uploading them to a cloud folder, is there a way to share them over a WiFi home network with another PC or device? How will the other device locate/discover a shared link? Must the...
  6. large video file sharing

7. How do I generate thumbnails for large VR videos?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I generate thumbnails for large VR videos?: submitted by /u/ak102615 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lvqp7r/how_do_i_generate_thumbnails_for_large_vr_videos/
  8. Britec Uploaded a new video, Thought I would share it with you.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Britec Uploaded a new video, Thought I would share it with you.: Britec Is one of my favorite Youtubers and he never disappoints. This will come in very handy! What do you think. [media] 169295
  9. How do I upload folder to OneDrive Without Repeating Files already Uploaded?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I upload folder to OneDrive Without Repeating Files already Uploaded?: I have a folder with 95k files 35Gb which I tried to upload earlier today. It took all day to upload half of it, then it froze. I want to upload the rest, but I'm afraid it might overwrite the ones already there and waste more time. How do I make sure it only uploads the...
  10. How do I share a large video on my computer without uploading it?

How do I share a large video on my computer without uploading it?: I am wondering if there is a way to share a video on my computer, without uploading it. I have FreeMake Video Converter but can't seem to figure out how to make a link to share it. I have read about using an HTML file but have no idea how to go about that. Any suggestions?...