Windows 10: How do i short stroke a mechanical hard drive?

Discus and support How do i short stroke a mechanical hard drive? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I was doing research and found something about short stroking a hard drive, i read that your supposed to use hd tune and pay attention to where the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by smirk24, Jan 18, 2017.

1. smirk24 Win User

How do i short stroke a mechanical hard drive?

I was doing research and found something about short stroking a hard drive, i read that your supposed to use hd tune and pay attention to where the blue line drops or something but i never figured out how id configure how much room id take from my hard drive so that i have the most optimal setting. And then i read subtract 15,20 or 25 percent of the space from the volume capacity?

So which way is best when short stroking a mechanical hard drive?

:)

smirk24, Jan 18, 2017

2. Mechanical Hard Drive A:\

I have two drives, an SSD with the operating system (Windows 10) and other drivers on it, and a mechanical hard drive with everything else. This morning I got on and attempted to run steam but ran into problems such as steam client being unable to run and
    eventually everything closing and leaving a black screen with just my mouse. When I restarted my computer it showed the steam shortcut on my home screen as a white piece of paper. When I went to look for it in my A: drive (the mechanical drive), it couldn't
    even find the drive. I then went to go and check its partitions and it was shown as Unknown and Not Initialized, and when I tried to Initialize it using the MBR partition style I got an error saying the system could not find the specified file. I then shut
    it off and came back later to turn it back on, and when it came on it found my A: drive, but I still could not run steam and the same thing happened. I restarted it to find that once again my mechanical A: drive was not being read, although this time it at
    least showed up with a blue question mark on it. Do I need to get a whole new drive or can I do something to fix this? Let me know if I have not given enough information.

Jackson13509, Jan 18, 2017
  3. Bill Duda Win User
    Remove num lock icon windows 10 Lenovo B590.

Num lock icon used to fade after a few seconds. Currently must stroke num lock to use numerical keypad. Num lock icon stays on until key is stroked again. Tried many on-line and forum suggestions, short of installing hotkey driver.

Bill Duda, Jan 18, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Google can find quite a few good explanations, such as this one.
    How to Partition Your Hard Drive to Optimize Performance | PCWorld

But it also finds this cautionary opinion...
    Tech ARP -
    Modding A Barracuda 7200.11 Into A VelociRaptor Rev. 1.2

So, thank you @smirk24 for asking. In researching this I finally know why so many OEM systems (like my Toshiba) put two partitions on their machines: a C: drive for the OS and a D: drive labelled 'Data' (been puzzling me for years).

5. smirk24 Win User
    I hope i understand this wrong but are you saying that in order to get the safe performance gain id have to make the 2 partitions before the install of windows? Because i tried the 20% and my sequiential reads went from 105 to 115? Lol faster is better so im all ears lol

smirk24, Jan 18, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    Whole idea is to make disk look smaller to OS so it doesn't place files all over the disk but only on smaller part of it. That requires a partition smaller than whole disk so arm with the head has shorter way to travel (stroke), therefore "Short stroke". That requires making C: partition just right size to take OS and most important programs on with at least 10GB empty so OS can function properly. You can chose partition size while installing OS or repartition it after, effect is same.

CountMike, Jan 18, 2017
  7. smirk24 Win User
    That makes since thank you. So that means i didn't have to use 20% of my 500gb hard drive though wich is my fault obviously lol.

smirk24, Jan 18, 2017
  8. CountMike New Member

Can you show a picture of your disk management ?

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do i short stroke a mechanical hard drive? - Similar Threads - short stroke mechanical

2. How do I stop this feature of seeing key strokes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop this feature of seeing key strokes?: I can see everything I type at the bottom of my screen, how do I turn this off. Started out of nowhere. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-this-feature-of-seeing-key-strokes/1732d095-7730-425b-8160-ac253f9823b1
  3. How do I stop this feature of seeing key strokes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop this feature of seeing key strokes?: I can see everything I type at the bottom of my screen, how do I turn this off. Started out of nowhere. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-this-feature-of-seeing-key-strokes/1732d095-7730-425b-8160-ac253f9823b1
  4. How do I unformat a hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I unformat a hard drive?: My PC has two operating systems on a C and E drive. I formatted my E drive by mistake when I was trying to format a flash drive. A friend told me there's a way to unformat it. How do I do it? Both drives have Windows 10 Pro....
  5. Hard drive short dst check failure.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive short dst check failure.: So my comput I would constantly say preparing for automatic repair then get stuck on a black screen forever. İ powered it on and immediatly pressed down on esc. This took me to a page were i pressed system diagnoistic. After thag i tested mt hard drive and said this. Hard...
  6. Mechanical sata hard drive with jumper setting?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mechanical sata hard drive with jumper setting?: I have a sata hard drive "samsung sp2004c" and i noticed the hard drive causing a problem such as my system taking longer to startup and using crystal disk info where it says if the drive is good it says unknown and is greyed out. Is there something im not doing right? Ps:...
  7. How do I reformat the Hard drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I reformat the Hard drive?: I want reformat the hard drive on an old Laptop I can't seem to be able to get anywhere the boot will not recognize the CD drive nor a external floppy. I am trying to permanently remove Win 10....
  8. Hard Drive short DST check: Failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard Drive short DST check: Failed: Hi all, My hp laptop (bought in 2016) suddenly ran to problem "Your PC couldn't start properly" and i cannot reboot it again. When i ran the component test it shows Hard Drive short DST check: Failed. I have contacted the local hp service center. They were informed like...
  9. short cut key strokes turned on - need to turn off

in Windows 10 Customization
    short cut key strokes turned on - need to turn off: I have some how turned on some shortcut key strokes and don't know how to turn them off. 1) Frequently when I press the back arrow - instead of the cursor moving backwards, my screen will go back wards - mainly when I'm in my google email program but it has happened other...
  10. Hard Drive Short DST Check Failed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive Short DST Check Failed: So my laptop HP 14-ac136tu has been performing very slow for the last few months and so I decided to reset it but failed. When I turned it on again, it shows the hp logo then shows a black screen without cursor. I tried pressing the F2 before the logo starts and it directed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to do short stroking in hard disk