Windows 10: How do I show file extensions?

Discus and support How do I show file extensions? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've just 'upgraded' to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I've noticed that file extensions are not shown when I display the files in a folder. For example... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AlexBell, Oct 25, 2015.

1. AlexBell Win User

How do I show file extensions?

I've just 'upgraded' to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

I've noticed that file extensions are not shown when I display the files in a folder. For example I have a folder containing html files, and all that appears is e.g. Chapter00 when it should show Chapter00.html, ebook shows when it should show ebook.css, content shows when it should show content.opf, and Jane Eyre shows when it should show Jane Eyre.epub. Strangely enough toc.ncx shows as it should.

I've been through all the settings folders I can think of. How do I make Windows 10 show the file extensions as they were shown in Windows 7?

:)

AlexBell, Oct 25, 2015
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Oct 25, 2015
  3. How do I add apps that do not show on the share list and lock screen list to these same lists?

If you go to Settings/email and accounts, is Facebook and Twitter listed in your accounts?

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Oct 25, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 25, 2015
  5. AlexBell Win User
    Thanks for the welcome, but I'm afraid I can't use your response. I have never used Window 8, and have no idea if there is a ribbon in Windows 10 or where to find it. I'm not even sure where the 'start button' is in Windows 10; is it the window icon on the far left of the task bar?

I'm sorry to be a nuisance, but really must ask you to do a detailed list like:
    - Click on start button
    - click on {whatever I should do next, and so on}

I'm afraid my knowledge of computers is very limited.

AlexBell, Oct 25, 2015
  6. Mc Ruff Win User
    Hi Alex

If you click on the yellow folder button (File Explorer) which is next to the start button.

When it opens, click on the view menu which is at the top.

You should then see a check box for File name extensions. Select that

Mc Ruff, Oct 25, 2015
  7. AlexBell Win User
    Thanks. I have it done now.

AlexBell, Oct 25, 2015
  8. linw Win User

And we might all ask why MS persists with the inconvenient and unsafe practice of hiding extensions.

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's been that way since at least Vista.

They're actually hidden to prevent users from mistakenly renaming the file extension and breaking it's association. *Smile

Brink, Oct 26, 2015
  10. linw Win User
    And also to fool people into clicking exe files*Smile

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I would always recommend that folks don't click on or open a file that they didn't know what it was.

Brink, Oct 26, 2015
  12. AlexBell Win User
    Showing the extension is an important part - for me at least - of knowing what kind of file it is.

AlexBell, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I show file extensions? - Similar Threads - show file extensions

2. How do I search for files based on types? not extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I search for files based on types? not extension: Hi. I want to search where I saved my screen record files which I forgetunfortunately, I can't remember in which format it was saved. So I need my search feature to search for any video created by this month.How do I do this? So not just one specific format like mp4/flv, etc,...
  3. How do I add an extension to all the files in a directory.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I add an extension to all the files in a directory.: I found several places where the following is recommended:ren * *.pngBut that gets me the following error:ren : Cannot process argument because the value of argument "path" is not valid. Change the value of the "path" argument and run the operation again. At line:1 char:1 +...
  4. How do I add an extension to all the files in a directory.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I add an extension to all the files in a directory.: I found several places where the following is recommended:ren * *.pngBut that gets me the following error:ren : Cannot process argument because the value of argument "path" is not valid. Change the value of the "path" argument and run the operation again. At line:1 char:1 +...
  5. How do I assign a program to a file extension?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How do I assign a program to a file extension?: Greetings,I would like to change the program that opens for the *.webp picture file format. I click Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type.This brings up a list of all file extensions. I go down to the .webp extension and click on the program that...
  6. How do I assign a program to a file extension?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I assign a program to a file extension?: Greetings,I would like to change the program that opens for the *.webp picture file format. I click Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type.This brings up a list of all file extensions. I go down to the .webp extension and click on the program that...
  7. How do I assign a program to a file extension?

8. How do you "unname" a file extension?

How do you "unname" a file extension?: I recently tried unsuccessfully to install Corel Photo House 4.0 on my Win10 machine.After uninstalling it, it left a lingering ghost behind that I can't seem to exorcize, because it decided to name all .jpg .jpeg, .bmp etc files after itself.I'm not afraid of the registry,...
  9. How do I add extensions to a batch of files

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I add extensions to a batch of files: Back when I used WordPerfect, which could ignore file extensions, I gave all my poems the extension .POM. Word can read these files, but only if I add the extension .DOC. I have more than a hundred .POM files--how do I batch-add the .DOC extension to make them all read...
  10. How do I rename files with muliple file extensions in the name

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I rename files with muliple file extensions in the name: I have been unable to find a quick solution to a simply problem concerning the accidental naming of windows files with quadruple file extensions. Windows 10 will allow someone to name a file test.txt.txt.txt.txt but I am also finding programs that double file extensions.In my...