Windows 10: How do I shut down my computer? I upgraded to Windows 11 and my settings button is gone,...

Discus and support How do I shut down my computer? I upgraded to Windows 11 and my settings button is gone,... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 - my settings button and my shut down buttons, together with my apps, have disappeared. How do I get them back?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Pauline Schultz, Apr 18, 2024.

1. How do I shut down my computer? I upgraded to Windows 11 and my settings button is gone,...

I have upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 - my settings button and my shut down buttons, together with my apps, have disappeared. How do I get them back?

:)

Pauline Schultz, Apr 18, 2024
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to turn off computer at the Welcome screen using the power button.

Ideally, if no user has logged in to the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, I would suggest you to check the settings for power button. Refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows key + X, and select
      Power Options.
    2. Click on Additional power settings.
    3. Now, click on Choose what power button does from the left pane.
    4. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    5. Select Shut down from the drop down for
      When I press the power button.

If you are using Windows 10 Pro, you may also want to check the Group Policy Settings, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and click on
      OK
    3. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Power Management\Button Settings.
    4. On the right pane, double click on Select the Power button action (plugged in), click on
      Enabled and select Shutdown from the drop down for
      Power Button Action.
    5. Repeat step 4 for Select the Power button action (on battery).
    6. Restart the computer.

If a user has logged in to the computer and then logs off from the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, if a user is logged in to the computer and locks the computer using the
    Windows key + L combination, the power button will not shutdown the computer. You will have to use the power button on the lock screen to shut down the computer.

If you do not see the shutdown button, please refer the article Shutdown:
    Allow system to be shut down without having to log on

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to provide a feedback in the
    Feedback Hub. The Feedback hub lets you tell Microsoft
    about any problems you run in to while using Windows 10 and send suggestions to help us improve your Windows experience.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 18, 2024
  3. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Apr 18, 2024
  4. How do I shut down my computer? I upgraded to Windows 11 and my settings button is gone,...

Can't power off or sleep the computer since upgrade to Windows 10

My computer settings were already set to shut down with the power button. Had to contact HP and have them reinstall a driver.

MelissaS71, Apr 18, 2024
Thema:

How do I shut down my computer? I upgraded to Windows 11 and my settings button is gone,...

1. How do I shut down my computer? I upgraded to Windows 11 and my settings button is gone,... - Similar Threads - shut down computer

2. How do I shut down my computer? I upgraded to Windows 11 and my settings button is gone,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I shut down my computer? I upgraded to Windows 11 and my settings button is gone,...: I have upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 - my settings button and my shut down buttons, together with my apps, have disappeared. How do I get them back?...
  3. I pressed the turn off button on my computer and then forcefully shut it down by holding...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I pressed the turn off button on my computer and then forcefully shut it down by holding...: I pressed the turn off button on my computer and then forcefully shut it down by holding the button for 5 seconds, when i then started my computer the resolution was changed, my background keeps flickering and the mouse is stuck in the middle of the screen and is also...
  4. Computer shut down during upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer shut down during upgrade to Windows 11: During the update installation black screen, percentage counter my laptop shut down and won’t restart. It was plugged in, the battery was most likely charged. Now it’s completely dead, not reacting to anything, not even lighting the battery LED indicator at plugging in. So...
  5. Computer shut down during upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer shut down during upgrade to Windows 11: During the update installation black screen, percentage counter my laptop shut down and won’t restart. It was plugged in, the battery was most likely charged. Now it’s completely dead, not reacting to anything, not even lighting the battery LED indicator at plugging in. So...
  6. I can't shut down my computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't shut down my computer: What do I do? It turns black for a second then takes me back to login. I'm on an aero 15x v8 on a fresh install. This has never happened before. The power button puts it to sleep instead of shutting it off. submitted by /u/therionusz [link] [comments]...
  7. How do I shut down my PC with the power button on my USB Keyboard

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do I shut down my PC with the power button on my USB Keyboard: I have tried using the power settings and make it so that the power button shuts down my PC but it only sleeps. How can I make it so the power button on my keyboard shuts down my PC entirely?...
  8. Sleep button shuts down my computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep button shuts down my computer: Hi, I have recently started encountering a problem whereby my laptop shuts down when I put it to sleep, meaning that files close without saving and I have to start using autorecover and browser closes too. I have checked my power options and no issues there. I am wondering...
  9. Why my computer will not shut down when I clicked on the shut down button?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why my computer will not shut down when I clicked on the shut down button?: My computer using window 10 would not shut down when I clicked on the shut down menu. Please advise thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-computer-will-not-shut-down-when-i-clicked/dd1a9cb1-d312-4110-bc16-463bec48b6de
  10. How do I make my computer shut down (properly)?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I make my computer shut down (properly)?: Since yesterday, I've been trying to find a solution to my PC inability to shut down properly. I've tried to use the (powercfg -h off) to disable hibernation and it did shut down the system but my keyboard stayed on. I guess that the PSU was still giving out power. I recently...