Windows 10: How do I solve the 'Thumbs.db in use' when trying to delete folders?

Discus and support How do I solve the 'Thumbs.db in use' when trying to delete folders? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Whenever I try and delete a folder, or multiple folders, I get an error message stating that the Thumb.db file is in use. It is very frustrating. Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Diwedd, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Diwedd Win User

How do I solve the 'Thumbs.db in use' when trying to delete folders?

Whenever I try and delete a folder, or multiple folders, I get an error message stating that the Thumb.db file is in use. It is very frustrating. Is there a relatively easy way to solve this problem?

How do I solve the 'Thumbs.db in use' when trying to delete folders? [​IMG]

How do I solve the 'Thumbs.db in use' when trying to delete folders? [​IMG]

Many thanks

:)

Diwedd, Dec 2, 2016

2. When will micro$oft fix Thumbs.db bug?

It's the can't delete a folder, there is a file in use bug [Thumbs.db]. Extremely aggravating when you are trying to clean up highly used file shares and these pesky files are in there. Windows will not delete Thumbs.db if there are no picture files in
    the folder. Workaround, you can drop a new jpg file in the folder and then you can delete thumbs.db, then delete the jpg. alternately you can edit your GPO and have your workstations refrain from creating the thumbs.db. But seems like simpler fix would
    be if windows code is doing a recursive loop through the file system deleting files that if there is a thumbs.db to delete that first before other files. Or patch windows so thumbs files are not on file shares altogether and cached locally.

Rich Samford, Dec 2, 2016
  3. {KellyD} Win User
    Can't delete empty folders if there is a thumbs.db file in it in Windows 10

I used to able to delete folders containing thumbs.db files in Windows 7, but not in Windows 10. When I try now (in Windows 10), I get a warning that says "The action can't be completed because the file is open in Windows Explorer" even though neither
    the folder or thumbs.db file are open.

{KellyD}, Dec 2, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Just tell it to skip. It is keeping the folder settings in that file. Deleting it sets the folder at a default setting.

bro67, Dec 2, 2016
  5. Diwedd Win User
    Skipping it doesn't help. It gives me the second error message [see above].

Diwedd, Dec 2, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Check the "Do this for all current items" checkbox in the first error screen and it should complete OK. It may leave the thumbs.db files behind but you can use a tool like Unlocker to get rid of them.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 2, 2016
  7. Diwedd Win User
    I have tried that too. It makes no difference. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Diwedd, Dec 2, 2016
  8. pepanee Win User

Get and install LockHunter
    Right click on the file "What is locking this file?"
    Follow the steps from there

pepanee, Dec 3, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    If it is in the list of things to delete, you need to hold down the Ctrl key and then click on it to not delete. Or when it comes up about it, check the box that states "Do this for current items", then click on Skip.

bro67, Dec 3, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Windows locks it, because it holds the folder settings and file settings in that file.

bro67, Dec 3, 2016
  11. johnpd Win User
    It's very simple. Open a CMD prompt using "Run as administrator". Enter "del /a:s thumbs.db". If you have subfolders involved, you can do "del /s /a:s thumbs.db" to remove all of the thumbs.db in a folder structure. Then you can remove the folders themselves.

JohnD

johnpd, Dec 3, 2016
  12. Sounds like Thumb.db is corrupted (which might be why you want to delete it)

If you haven't already, try this
    Thumbnail Cache - Clear and Reset in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If that fails try it in Safe Mode
    Safe Mode - Start Windows 10 in - Windows 10 Forums

Good luck *Smile

FrillyBits, Dec 3, 2016
  13. How do I solve the 'Thumbs.db in use' when trying to delete folders?

Thumbs.db does NOT hold folder settings. It's an image database, containing thumbnails of any image files in the folder.

Reading the OPs request ... it seems he wants to delete the folder. In that case, skipping the delete of Thumbs.db doesn't meet his needs. The file must be unlocked.

If the picture files get deleted, then the lock will (eventually) be released. You can wait for it, and then delete Thumbs.db (and the folder).

Not sure you can release the lock. Lock Hunter shows that it's being locked by System! So you're stuck with the lock, I think. Just wait a while and the lock will go away.

margrave55, Dec 3, 2016
  14. pepanee Win User
    there is an option to attempt to delete it after a computer restart. that should do the trick

pepanee, Dec 3, 2016
  15. Diwedd Win User
    Diwedd, Dec 3, 2016
Thema:

1. How do I solve the 'Thumbs.db in use' when trying to delete folders? - Similar Threads - solve 'Thumbs use'

2. How to solve error 0x800705aa when i try to do any update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to solve error 0x800705aa when i try to do any update: Windows 10 updates are failing with error code 0x800705aa and I ran the update troubleshooter several times without any success in resolving these errors so I decided to try repairing the component store and system files, but I'm getting error 1450: "Insufficient system...
  3. How to solve error 0x800705aa when i try to do any update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to solve error 0x800705aa when i try to do any update: Windows 10 updates are failing with error code 0x800705aa and I ran the update troubleshooter several times without any success in resolving these errors so I decided to try repairing the component store and system files, but I'm getting error 1450: "Insufficient system...
  4. How to solve error 0x800705aa when i try to do any update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I delete this folder?: Yesterday, I copied Windows Folder, but I'm stuck. How do I delete this?On DATA D: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-this-folder/72e9625d-cc3e-4d1a-bbea-8a663de7576f
  6. How do I delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete this folder?: Yesterday, I copied Windows Folder, but I'm stuck. How do I delete this?On DATA D: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-this-folder/72e9625d-cc3e-4d1a-bbea-8a663de7576f
  7. How do I delete this folder?

8. How Do I Delete Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Do I Delete Folders: Greatings, today I was cleaning up my gear and then I saw that it has some folders of programs that i was uninstalled recently, some of this files wasn't able to delete as the normal ways like just clicking delete button or SHIFT + Delete. I dont have a clear ask for this but...
  9. How Do I Delete Folders

How Do I Delete Folders: Greatings, today I was cleaning up my gear and then I saw that it has some folders of programs that i was uninstalled recently, some of this files wasn't able to delete as the normal ways like just clicking delete button or SHIFT + Delete. I dont have a clear ask for this but...
  10. How do I delete residue folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I delete residue folders?: Hello, I installed a game through Xbox (beta) on my second HDD disk. After I decided to delete it, some folders appeared there and they cannot be deleted. [ATTACH] Even after I switched the settings back. [ATTACH] It's really annoying because the files eat 80GB of my...