Windows 10: How Do I Specify Windows Update Repair Source in Registry?

Discus and support How Do I Specify Windows Update Repair Source in Registry? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Good morning and Happy New Year! Within my organization's environment, we have a small number of machines that occasionally fail to install updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by wkizzlejr, Dec 31, 2017.

1. wkizzlejr Win User

How Do I Specify Windows Update Repair Source in Registry?

Good morning and Happy New Year!

Within my organization's environment, we have a small number of machines that occasionally fail to install updates as a result of missing assembly files (error code: 0x80073701). When this occurs, the Windows Update agent - in some cases, but not all - will attempt a repair (still unclear as to why this inconsistency exists). When attempting repair, it tries to locate a repair source in order to run a process that appears similar to DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. However, because the repair source is currently not configured in our environment, it attempts to use Microsoft's Windows Update servers by default. Our firewall is not set to allow this and so the process reports that it is unable to resolve the repair source.

Now, I am aware that this can be configured using Group Policy (Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Specify Settings for optional component...). However, I am curious as to whether or not this can also be configured in the registry?

Additionally, I have a related question: When using a WIM file as a repair source, must that WIM first be mounted? I think that it has to, but wanted to verify as the last time I ran DISM's restorehealth feature, I pointed it to an unmounted WIM file. The process completed successfully but didn't appear to repair anything.

Thank you!

:)

wkizzlejr, Dec 31, 2017

2. Error: 0x800f081f, "The source files could not be found." after performing DISM command

I've run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth with the following results:

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077

When I go to the suggested link
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077
    this what I see:

Choose a Repair Source

You can use Windows Update to provide the files that are required to restore a Windows feature or repair a corrupted operating system. You can also configure Group Policy to gather the required files from a network location. Multiple source locations can
    be specified in the Group Policy.

To use Windows Update to restore optional features and repair Windows images

•Windows Update will be used by default if it is allowed by the policy settings on the computer.

•If you want to use Windows Update as a primary or backup source for files that are used to restore optional features or repair Windows images, you should make sure that your firewall is configured to allow access to Windows Update.

It really doesn't tell you how to designate a repairs source. How do you do that?

Original title: How do I designate a Source for DISM Restorehealth

KennethLang, Dec 31, 2017
  3. Drag and drop to Firefox web browser upload function broke after Windows 10 upgrade (Edge does not work either)

Thanks for the info. I received this error after running "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"
    and it reached 100%. Now some items are missing from my start menu and the task bar search is not functioning, could have other issues now too. Any idea on why I get this error?

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

I found this info which states that Windows Update is the source used by default unless the specify a different source. I have verified that Windows Update is functioning properly.

To use Windows Update to restore optional features and repair Windows images

• Windows Update will be used by default if it is allowed by the policy settings on the computer.

• If you want to use Windows Update as a primary or backup source for files that are used to restore optional features or repair Windows images, you should make sure that your firewall is configured to allow access to Windows Update.

TheToneman, Dec 31, 2017
  4. hawkman Win User

Hi wkizzlejr,

That error code is an identifier that a "building block", for want of a better description, is missing/corrupt within a PREVIOUS update that the current update needs to access, and becaue of this the new update fails.
    Allthough W10 is a new system parts of previous OS's have been carried over; the Update process is one of them.
    Within an update, there are Packages and inside of these are even more sublayers
    KB123456 > Packages > Cat/Mum
    Thats not all tho
    All updates migrate thru CBS and CSI, and within the CSI operation even more pre-update processing takes pace, and
    inside these
    Components > Payload
    Your problem will be within
    Cat/Mum/Components or Payload.

The CBS log should point towards the problematic Update and the errors within it.
    (not sure if the DISM log does, the old SURT did, and could be fixed using it)

Post the logs.

As for the restore health command was the latter
    /Source:wim:E:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess
    Where wim:E is the repair source, DVD/USB/ISO from another GOOD machine

MS ITPro - DISM tutorial

Add or Remove Packages Offline Using DISM
    Not sure if the term package in this scenario actually relates to a Windows update package.

I do know of another tool that will identify and can insert/replace the missing/corrupt entries,
    BUT as your running behind a Server with GPO restrictions!!!,

If all the affected machines have IDENTICAL errors that would infer that this group of received a Bad server patch, or that their GPO's are slightly different from the unaffected machines.

Roy

hawkman, Jan 2, 2018
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Good morning, and Happy New year @wkizzlejr

Yes the image (ISO) should be mounted first, with the mount command or opened with Explorer (both right-click context options). System will assign drive letter. Example command line here. Sub the mounted drive letter for "G".

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:G:\sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How Do I Specify Windows Update Repair Source in Registry? - Similar Threads - Specify Update Repair

2. Absolutely can not Repair via DISM because it "can not find source" Even though, I specify...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Absolutely can not Repair via DISM because it "can not find source" Even though, I specify...: I've tried sfc /scannowand corrected whatever it asked to repair. It finished repairing.When i run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealthI get, "The Component Store is repairable".Ok...I try: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\wim\install.wim <--- this is...
  3. how to repair registry

how to repair registry: how to repair registry https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-repair-registry/f54f86e3-1f26-4025-9a94-db63de51a39b
  4. how to repair registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to repair registry: how to repair registry https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-repair-registry/f54f86e3-1f26-4025-9a94-db63de51a39b
  5. how to repair registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. DISM Source Not specified?

DISM Source Not specified?: Whenever i do sfc scan it says "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation". Then whenever i do dism health check it says to specify a source. I tried that also with both .esd and .wim file by specifuing it but still it is saying to specify the...
  7. How do I repair Windows Update components?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I repair Windows Update components?: It also says, " One or more Windows Update components are configured incorrectly." My year-old Surface Pro does not have a DVD drive, nor did it come with a Win 10 OS disk with which to repair it. I need a tool to repair it from the net....
  8. registry repair

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    registry repair: Looking for a registry scanner that checks and repairs the Window 10/Microsoft programs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-repair/80aca8a6-5e84-4589-b70d-38345be2272c
  9. Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify..

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify..: Hi all.. Im trying to help a friend out, his laptop packed it in the other day. Its a ~6 month old Asus laptop, Win10 Home (10.0.17134.1).. Fault is upon booting, the ASUS logo and spinning circle come up .. and then once enough time has passed and you'd expect a login...
  10. Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify..

in Windows 10 Support
    Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify..: Hi all.. Im trying to help a friend out, his laptop packed it in the other day. Its a ~6 month old Asus laptop, Win10 Home (10.0.17134.1).. Fault is upon booting, the ASUS logo and spinning circle come up .. and then once enough time has passed and you'd expect a login...