Windows 10: How do I stop nVidia from auto-downloading updates?

Discus and support How do I stop nVidia from auto-downloading updates? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I understand downloading updates helps patch up security holes, add features, etc.., but I don't have the greatest of internet connections because of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by BrokenDaily, Mar 22, 2018.

1. How do I stop nVidia from auto-downloading updates?

I understand downloading updates helps patch up security holes, add features, etc.., but I don't have the greatest of internet connections because of where I live and how much money I earn. Lately, I see that geforce experience, or some other nVidia related file/program is downloading updates to my display drivers and Geforce Experience without my consent, and all attempts on what does this and how to stop this has been fruitless for me. I don't want to hit my data cap so early before the end of the month and deal with even slower internet, so I ask you tenforums

is there some registry setting I can use, some file I can delete/modify to stop this and still have full use of what I already got, or is this this just permanent and stop resisting it?

:)

BrokenDaily, Mar 22, 2018
  2. NadiaIy Win User

How do I stop my NVIDIA driver from automatically updating without turning off windows updates?

Just as the title states.

My problem:

The latest NVIDIA driver is not working well. Everything looks blurry so that there is eye-strain while reading on-screen text. I'd like to continue using the older driver which worked wonderfully. Whenever I roll back the driver, however, Windows 10
    automatically updates it to the latest blurry driver.

What I'm asking for help with:

I'd like to stop this one particular driver from updating. I'd like to have all other updates occur automatically.

I am using Windows 10 Pro.

Thank you for your time.

NadiaIy, Mar 22, 2018
  3. How do I stop my NVIDIA driver from automatically updating without turning off windows updates?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community. I understand the inconvenience caused and will certainly assist you with the issue.

In Windows 10, your device is always kept up to date with the latest features and fixes. Updates and drivers are installed automatically, with no need to select which updates are needed or not needed. In rare cases, a specific driver or update might temporarily
    cause issues with your device, and in this case you will need a way to prevent the problematic driver or update from reinstalling automatically the next time Windows Updates are installed.

You cannot stop Automatic Windows updates on Windows 10 but you can block certain updates for any particular driver.

I suggest you to refer the steps provided by Rohit Chettri on the below thread link to block update of a driver software.

How to block automatic reinstall of a driver or update from Windows Update

Hope this helps. Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Swathi Ravichandran, Mar 22, 2018
  4. Faith Win User

How do I stop nVidia from auto-downloading updates?

Best advice I would give you is to uninstall GeForce Experience and update the nvidia drivers maually through their website instead when needed. If that's not an option for you then there should be a setting in the GeForce experience app where you can uncheck "download drivers automatically". It should be fairly easy to find under your profile. As for stopping GeForce experience to update itself, you can't. There are a few reg edits you can perform but they are just temporary workarounds. GFE will always try to stay updated without permission.

Faith, Mar 22, 2018
  5. Plankton Win User
    Yep, totally agree....GeForce experience is unnecessary....just update manually. It's what I do.

Curious; what brand is your Nvidia GPU?

Plankton, Mar 22, 2018
  6. DooGie Win User
    DooGie, Mar 22, 2018
  7. AddRAM Win User
    Yep, just go into GE settings and un check automatically download driver updates, it`s that simple. This way you`ll just get an exclamation point on the icon in the taskbar, letting you know there`s a new driver available.

But as suggested, just uninstall GE and you can check for nvidia updates once a month, just make sure you un check Geforce Experience if you install a new driver.

Actually if all you need is the graphics driver and the PhysX driver, you can un check everything else during an install.

AddRAM, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How do I stop nVidia from auto-downloading updates?

1. How do I stop nVidia from auto-downloading updates? - Similar Threads - stop nVidia auto

2. how do i stop Microsoft store from stopping downloads

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i stop Microsoft store from stopping downloads: Whenever I try and download something The Microsoft store stops the download saying that this app isn't in the Microsoft store and I don't know how to stop this from happening....
  3. how do i stop Microsoft store from stopping downloads

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i stop Microsoft store from stopping downloads: Whenever I try and download something The Microsoft store stops the download saying that this app isn't in the Microsoft store and I don't know how to stop this from happening....
  4. How can I stop auto updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I stop auto updates: Stop my computer from automatically updating when I don't explicitly say yes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-stop-auto-updates/d7941bb2-6382-4c15-800f-a1b165c42bcc
  5. How can I stop auto updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I stop auto updates: Stop my computer from automatically updating when I don't explicitly say yes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-stop-auto-updates/d7941bb2-6382-4c15-800f-a1b165c42bcc
  6. How do I stop Windows from auto updating my driver to DCH?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I stop Windows from auto updating my driver to DCH?: I installed a Standard Nvidia driver over a DCH not realizing you shouldn't do that. It then auto updated back to a DCH driver and it messed with my PC. Couldn't open the Control Panel and couldn't right click as it would just keep loading. Also couldn't press the start...
  7. How do I stop auto save to OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I stop auto save to OneDrive?: I need these files to be on my computer as opposed to one drive, but it seems to automatically save it to one drive and I can't do anything about it. There must be a way to turn this off but I don't know how to do it. Any ideas? submitted by /u/fruitbowl99 [link]...
  8. How do I stop auto updates to windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I stop auto updates to windows 10: I just dropped of my computer at best buy to restore the PC after a failed auto update. It will cost around $200 Canadian to restore it. When I get it back I do not want it to happen again. How do you disable auto updates. I do not trust Microsoft to get it right next time....
  9. How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating?: I'm having a hard time making Windows REALLY stop updating without consent. The idea is that when I'm turning on my laptop for the first time in a while I'm usually in a place where I'm hotspotting with my mobile phone. Needless to say I need to limit my data flow making...
  10. How do I stop update from downloading

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I stop update from downloading: It keeps downloading and installing and I don't want it cause it causes my start menu from displaying. I need it to stop installing. [img] 113111