Windows 10: How do I stop strange "Windows" sound?

Discus and support How do I stop strange "Windows" sound? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Here's the issue, every 30 minutes or so a sound plays through my speakers. I have identified it as the "Windows Background" sound. If you right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dumark, May 24, 2017.

1. dumark Win User

How do I stop strange "Windows" sound?

Here's the issue, every 30 minutes or so a sound plays through my speakers. I have identified it as the "Windows Background" sound.

If you right click on the volume icon and click on sounds, it's the sound used for a number of different items, including the "Default Beep" "Asterisk" "Exclamation" "Low Battery" and "System Notification."

Here are the fixes I had tried to date...

1) Changing my sound scheme to "No Sounds"
    2) Opening up the volume mixer and muting System Sounds
    3) Unplugging all USB peripherals and using a different keyboard/mouse
    4) Disabling Windows defender and turning off all system notifications
    5) Unplugging all cords attached to the motherboard, clean and reattach
    6) Monitoring system events in the event viewer
    7) Clean install of Windows 10

The repeating sound will not stop. If you know of a fix, I will be immensely grateful.

Thanks so much in advance *Smile

:)

dumark, May 24, 2017
  2. 93tid Win User

How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

My favourite is MP3Tag, google it.

93tid, May 24, 2017
  3. pichs Win User
    How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

What are third party tag editors?

pichs, May 24, 2017
  4. dumark Win User

Not sure if this is a fix, more of a bandaid solution...I deleted the "Windows Background" sound from the C>Windows>Media folder. Is there any harm in doing that, apart from not hearing that sound for certain notifications?

*EDIT - Deleting the "Windows Background" sound did not work *Sad

dumark, May 24, 2017
  5. sml156 Win User
    I don't know the answer to your question but in the future instead of deleting files you think are a problem you should rename them or move them just in case things go horribly wrong.

sml156, May 24, 2017
  6. AndreyT Win User
    Did you try to find this sound in the currend Windows sound scheme? I.e. Control Panel -> Sound, then Sounds tab.

AndreyT, May 24, 2017
  7. dumark Win User
    Yes, it's the "Windows Background" sound which is used for the "Default Beep" "Asterisk" "Exclamation" "Low Battery" and "System Notification."

dumark, May 24, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

Consider creating a bootable ubunto flash drive or creating a partition on the drive for Ubuntu. Then use Ubuntu to see whether it is related to Windows or related to the hardware.

zbook, May 24, 2017
  9. dumark Win User
    Assuming it is hardware, what could it be? A bad motherboard perhaps?

dumark, May 24, 2017
  10. dumark Win User
    Thanks, I did make a copy of the "Windows Background" sound in case I ever needed to restore. Good to know for future reference though.

dumark, May 24, 2017
  11. zbook New Member
    The problem that you described was not fixed by a clean install. Sometimes the term is used generally for many things. But if you deleted partitions, formatted the drive, made it an unallocated drive and then installed a fresh operating system you did a clean install. There should not be any unusual windows noise after a clean install. It is puzzling. Switching to another operating system allows you to rule in or rule out the operating system. If you have noise while using Ubuntu then it is more likely to be the hardware. If you have no noise while using Ubuntu then it is more likely to be the Windows operating system. It may not be 100% but it seems like this would be close to it. If you use the identical driver then it is not 100%. Once you pass this fork in the road you can focus your energy on troubleshooting one or the other.

zbook, May 24, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    What is the make and model of your computer? And what is the make and model of your speakers?
    Open device manger and view audio inputs and outputs, and sound, video and game controllers.
    Uninstall and reinstall drivers once again from your computer manufacturer's web site for your computers configuration and operating system.
    Run through this link and repeat or perform any steps that may have been missed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...sound-problems

or https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-fix-solutions

Let us know if any problems were discovered or fixed. If there were no changes with the above, keep us informed about your progress with Ubuntu and testing for the same sound problems.

zbook, May 24, 2017
  13. dumark Win User

When doing a clean install, I deleted the partitions, but did not format and unallocate the drive. I'll try doing that first before testing Ubuntu.

Regarding your other question, my computer is a custom build (I filled out the specs here).

dumark, May 24, 2017
  14. dumark Win User
    I did another clean install of Windows 10, reformatting and un-allocating the SSD. After booting up, I installed all the updates, restarted multiple times and then used the computer for a couple hours without issue. I've been slowly installing programs and waiting a few hours each time to see if the sound would come back.

Today, I was able to replicate what I believe originally caused the issue. I tried accessing one of the folders on my hard drive and it gave me the "You don't currently have permission to view this" message. I clicked continue and after I was given access to the folder, maybe 5 minutes later, the sound came back.

I then followed this tutorial and changed the "owner" of the folder to my user. Currently waiting to hear if the sound comes back.

Any thoughts why the sound might be playing due to a permission issue?

dumark, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I stop strange "Windows" sound? - Similar Threads - stop strange sound

2. How do I stop the windows sound when I type?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop the windows sound when I type?: When I open an app afterwards when I type I keep hearing the windows sound it can be temporally fixed by minimizing pushing keys then clicking. This most often happens when I play games, could it be a navigation thing because it mainly happens when I try to use wasd....
  3. How do I stop the windows sound when I type?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop the windows sound when I type?: When I open an app afterwards when I type I keep hearing the windows sound it can be temporally fixed by minimizing pushing keys then clicking. This most often happens when I play games, could it be a navigation thing because it mainly happens when I try to use wasd....
  4. how do i stop this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i stop this?: This is pretty recent, but Everytime I move my cursor out of the window program space it automatically disappears and it becomes a hassle to use it again because after clicking on the program from taskbar I have to instantly move the mouse to the program to use it.How do I...
  5. windows randomly plays error sound. how do i stop it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows randomly plays error sound. how do i stop it: it started today. i dont know why https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-randomly-plays-error-sound-how-do-i-stop/d83e2415-736a-4b0c-8a0b-27b9de8bcc28
  6. A strange problem with the sound

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A strange problem with the sound: Due to a problem the sound disappeared from Windows and red mark appear in the sound icon, I tried a lot to download drivers, but no one succeeded, although the sound works normally in Ubuntu, but after I downloaded realtek the red mark disappear but still ccant hear anything...
  7. HOW DO I STOP KEYBOARD MAKING SOUNDS WHEN I TYPE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HOW DO I STOP KEYBOARD MAKING SOUNDS WHEN I TYPE: FOR SOME REASON MY KEYBOARD STATRED MAKING A SOUND WHEN I PRESS ON KEYS TO TYPE.HOW DO I STOP THISN https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-keyboard-making-sounds-when-i-type/0a429486-d3b8-4f67-bee9-32927d816bf3
  8. Strange Sound problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Strange Sound problem: Hello , So I was trying to watch this video on YouTube when suddenly there was no sound coming from my laptop. I am on Windows 10 using Dell as a laptop. When i go to the sound in the bottom right corner , It says that Speakers/Headphones are connected to the device. When...
  9. Strange sound issue

Strange sound issue: I honestly have no clue how to deal with this issue other than restarting and it's really started to get on my nerves. This problem has been ongoing for about a year now on my Asus F402B. Basically, sound will inexplicably stop working. Usually, the PC will not work with...
  10. Strange Sound problem

Strange Sound problem: I have just done a fresh install of Win 10 (not an upgrade) I have noticed that no windows sounds are working. I can play music , listen to youtube everything seems fine but I do miss the little sounds that re-assured me my usb stick was just plugged or unplugged etc. I...