Windows 10: How do I stop Windows 10 Assist Updates

Discus and support How do I stop Windows 10 Assist Updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been a long supporter of Windows and its brand since I purchased my first computer in the early 90's. With the affordability and being able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ChasityZwicker, Jul 15, 2018.

1. How do I stop Windows 10 Assist Updates

I have been a long supporter of Windows and its brand since I purchased my first computer in the early 90's.

With the affordability and being able to build a computer that suits your needs, it was great!

I had never, never been swayed to use a different platform (Apple) til now!!!!

My custom machine worked wonderfully with Windows 8, and even with the first set of Windows 10HOME updates...Not a hiccup or issue, but these automatic updates with the Windows 10 Update Assistant have be brutal!!!!

I rely on my computer for my home business, it is a vital part of my everyday workflow....and it have it "update" in the background for my convenience is great...til it reboots and leaves a Blank screen until I am forced to do a cold boot.

It then reverts back to the previous version.... I have been through the help forums, and did all that was suggested with the exception of re-installing Windows...which I am sorry, that is not a fix, that is a "sorry, not sorry" you need to start over.

Short of disconnecting my computer from the internet (and creating a glorified desk paper weight), is there a way to say, I do not want the update to continue because it doesn't work on my system?

Any help would be GREATLY Appreciated!

Computer Information

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)i5-6400 CPU @2.70GHz 22.70 GHz

RAM: 32.0 GB

64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor

:)

ChasityZwicker, Jul 15, 2018
  2. R-T-B Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

That doesn't stop windows update from grabbing them on next run, at least it didn't back in the RTM days. It simply stops a secondary process from installing them immediately.

R-T-B, Jul 15, 2018
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jul 15, 2018
  4. RCoon Win User

How do I stop Windows 10 Assist Updates

Windows 10 Tweaks

How to stop Windows 10 from automatically installing new and updated drivers constantly (particularly for GPU users with stable drivers)

• Right click "My Computer"
    • Click "Properties"
    • Click on "Hardware" tab
    • Click "Device Installation Settings"
    • Tick the "No, let me choose what to do"
    • Tick "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

RCoon, Jul 15, 2018
Thema:

How do I stop Windows 10 Assist Updates

1. How do I stop Windows 10 Assist Updates - Similar Threads - stop Assist Updates

2. how do i stop windows updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i stop windows updates: I am running many server programs on my pc and I want constant uptime, however, my copy of windows 10 keeps trying to install updates and failing, this causes my server to not shut down properly and corupt every time. I have been stuck on the same backup for a while and just...
  3. how do i stop windows updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i stop windows updates: I am running many server programs on my pc and I want constant uptime, however, my copy of windows 10 keeps trying to install updates and failing, this causes my server to not shut down properly and corupt every time. I have been stuck on the same backup for a while and just...
  4. how do i stop windows updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. how do I get update assistant in windows 10 s mode

how do I get update assistant in windows 10 s mode: I want the update assistant and other apps in windows 10 s mode and I don't want to switch out of windows 10 s mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-update-assistant-in-windows-10-s-mode/dd4a5d77-2714-422d-ba50-382f92da085a
  6. HOW DO I STOP WINDOWS UPDATES

HOW DO I STOP WINDOWS UPDATES: HOW DO I STOP ALL UPDATES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-windows-updates/056d7540-c968-4346-bd0f-b16f49def3e8
  7. How do I stop Windows Updates?

How do I stop Windows Updates?: [IMG]I don't have a stable internet connection right now, and when my computer tries to update, it always fails and has to undo what it did, which takes ages. I've been waiting this time for about 30 minutes, all for an update that started without my knowledge or permission...
  8. How do I stop automatic update in windows 10?

How do I stop automatic update in windows 10?: I am using windows 10 home on my laptop and I am bored of those annoying updatesin windows 10. They are just coming and making computer slow if im not updating....
  9. How do I stop auto updates to windows 10

How do I stop auto updates to windows 10: I just dropped of my computer at best buy to restore the PC after a failed auto update. It will cost around $200 Canadian to restore it. When I get it back I do not want it to happen again. How do you disable auto updates. I do not trust Microsoft to get it right next time....
  10. How do I stop Windows 10 Resume Updates!!

How do I stop Windows 10 Resume Updates!!: I was trying to get info on the latest Window 10 update since I've heard so many bad things about it and now see that it's been delayed till Microsoft figures out a better way Thing is I was poking around on my PC and and clicked "check for updates" not knowing it would...