Windows 10: How do I stop Windows from using a partition?

Discus and support How do I stop Windows from using a partition? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone, Here is a picture of my current partition setup: [img] I recently had a different version of Windows on the second Partition.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cj1094, Sep 5, 2016.

1. cj1094 Win User

How do I stop Windows from using a partition?

Hello everyone,

Here is a picture of my current partition setup:

How do I stop Windows from using a partition? [​IMG]

I recently had a different version of Windows on the second Partition. After installing Windows 10 to the last partition, everything on the second partition was deleted. Now the second partition is a System partition. I want to make it so Windows cannot use/write to the second partition, and only use the last. I want to do this because I need to recover files from the second partition, and stopping Windows from using this partition would reduce the number of files being overwritten. Also, I want to ensure anything on the second partition is moved so Windows can still use them.

Sorry if this is this is the wrong section.

:)

cj1094, Sep 5, 2016
  2. Entegy Win User

How do I stop the Speech system from using my Facebook contacts

Say full names or give contacts a nickname and you can use that nickname in speech.

Entegy, Sep 5, 2016
  3. How do I stop the Speech system from using my Facebook contacts

Is the only choice to remove facebook windows 8 and keep it isolated to the Facebook App?

You have answered your own question. Yes, that is the only way for now.

Jay_answers, Sep 5, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. The only sure way is to not use Windows boot from a recovery software CD or Linux CD that's the only way

Samuria, Sep 5, 2016
  5. cj1094 Win User
    Thank you, glad to join the forums. So currently I'm good as long as I don't boot with a recovery CD?

cj1094, Sep 5, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    The partition layout you are having now is quite unusual. The system reserved partition should only be 500MB containing the Recovery Environment (WinRE.wim) and BCD (Boot Configuration Data) instead of 116GB. What you should do is to assign a letter to System Reserved partition and move all personal data from this partition to either D: drive or C: Drive then shrink it to 500MB. Merge all unallocated partitions to D: or C:

The correct partition layout should be: 500MB System Reserved, C: Drive, D: Drive.

topgundcp, Sep 6, 2016
  7. cj1094 Win User
    topgundcp, thank you for the reply. When I assign a drive letter and look inside, there is around 423MB of system files there. Will these files ever change? I need Windows to stop writing stuff there because I can't immediately recover my files using an undelete program.

cj1094, Sep 6, 2016
  8. topgundcp Win User

No, unless there's a major update then Windows usually creates an extra 450MB Recovery partition, normally after C: Drive.

Windows will have no way to write stuff in this partition since this partition will be hidden by not assigning any drive letter to it, not sure why you think it will.

Not to offend any body but I don't understand the reasoning in post #2

topgundcp, Sep 6, 2016
  9. DavidY Win User
    I read it as follows - I've not changed any words but added punctuation to show my interpretation.
    If the aim is data recovery, then not using Windows sounds like a valid approach (although I'm no expert).

DavidY, Sep 6, 2016
  10. cj1094 Win User
    Are partitions isolated from overwriting deleted data? As in, if I write in my last partition, will it overwrite deleted data in the second partition?

cj1094, Sep 6, 2016
  11. topgundcp Win User
    NO. Each partition has its own MFT (Master File Table)

topgundcp, Sep 6, 2016
  12. What was on the 1st partition (19.53 GB | Unallocated)?

You might want to use that space to create a new 500 MB System Reserve (SR) partition, mark it active and run bcdboot to copy the system files there.

If the unallocated space can be used, then you would also want to mark the 2nd Partition inactive

This would allow you to more easily manage the 2nd partition (current SR)

As I understand it, there are files on that partition that were deleted after you installed Win10 on the 4thpartition and you want to try to recover some of those files. You want to limit writing there so that recovering files will be more successful.

You have to be careful - a MBR initialized disk can only have 4 primary partitions or 3 primary partitions + 1 extended partition (4 is the magic number). I only raise the caution because I suggested creating a new SR partition which brings your layout up to 4 partitions.

What is your strategy for the recovery?

Slartybart, Sep 6, 2016
  13. How do I stop Windows from using a partition?

Not sure also ....maybe Poster 2 thought OP could scrape that widows data to another drive or healthy partition with Linux but having done that successfully here only with a visible healthy windows partition and not deleted data on a failing windows drive that wouldn't load windows I'm at same thoughts as your question here but I back up anthing important or that I want to keep anyway .......seen too many HDD /PSU and mainboards fail since DOS and Win 3.0 ,ppffttt.....and that's just at home .*really

electronuser, Sep 6, 2016
  14. topgundcp Win User
    Unless I misunderstood the original question that OP was concerned about data will be written on this System Reserved partition and that's why the follow up question was raised in post #8.

To clarify a little bit more on MBR disk. Depending on how you install Windows ie. if you previously format the disk then Windows will put the Recovery & BCD together in C: drive without creating the System Reserved Partition. However, with this configuration, you won't be able to use bitlocker feature. System Reserved partition is needed if you are using bitlocker.

topgundcp, Sep 6, 2016
  15. I could be wrong Dino, but post# 1 sounds like data recovery to me *Cool

How everything got deleted on par 2 doesn't really matter - it got deleted and cj1094 seems to want some of the data back so it can be used by the new install.

That's how I read it at least *Wink

+edit
    Looking at the layout in post# 1, it seems as though cj1094 places a data partition before the system partition. If that held true for the previous install, then the data might have been in what is now unallocated space.

And if that's the case, then Partition Wizard, Partition recovery, might be the best way to recover the data. That's why I asked about it in post# 10

I don't want cj1094 to take any action in post 10 until more information about the data is provided. I believe that's the concern expressed about writing to the partition. If the data was in the 19.53 GB of unallocated space, moving the SR there would overwrite a few hundred MB of data.-edit

Slartybart, Sep 6, 2016
Thema:

1. How do I stop Windows from using a partition? - Similar Threads - stop using partition

2. How do I stop windows from rebooting?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop windows from rebooting?: Hi,How do I stop Windows 10 Professional from rebooting? I need to prevent Microsoft Windows from rebooting after updates and in general.I have projects that need to stay open for months and months that are performing data collection and analysis. I paid for Microsoft Windows...
  3. How do I stop windows from rebooting?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop windows from rebooting?: Hi,How do I stop Windows 10 Professional from rebooting? I need to prevent Microsoft Windows from rebooting after updates and in general.I have projects that need to stay open for months and months that are performing data collection and analysis. I paid for Microsoft Windows...
  4. How do I stop windows from rebooting?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I boot from a partition?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I boot from a partition?: I am dual booting Windows 10 with Arco linux Arch based linux. I burned iso file on a USB. Now in diskmgmt.msc there is new partition which contains installed Arco linux. This is how it looks. How can I boot from that partition?...
  6. How do I boot from a partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I boot from a partition?: I am dual booting Windows 10 with Arco linux Arch based linux. I burned iso file on a USB. Now in diskmgmt.msc there is new partition which contains installed Arco linux. This is how it looks. How can I boot from that partition?...
  7. How do I boot from a partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How do I stop Windows from updating?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I stop Windows from updating?: I've gone through all the answers on YouTube, and STILL I get notices that windows will update Windows 10 now or an a later time. I keep ignoring these because it appears that after some past update my computer can no longer play *.VOB videos on Media Player, and doesn't want...
  9. How do I stop DWM from using GPU?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I stop DWM from using GPU?: Oh man, this thing has going me insane. While playing media the GPU usage of DWM just spikes up leaving me to watch the video with lag and stutter. I've tried fixes like lowering the priority or turning of windows transparency. There's no answer at Microsoft forum too...
  10. How do I stop game controllers from interfering with using Windows?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I stop game controllers from interfering with using Windows?: I have a micro PC, the GPD Win 2, that runs Windows 10. I control the mouse pointer using the built-in thumbsticks using Controller Companion. Previously, this worked great except for UWP apps, which for some reason intercept the thumbsticks and misinterpret the mouse...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to stop programs from writing to recovery partition