Windows 10: How do I tell if a process/application is running on headless server?

Discus and support How do I tell if a process/application is running on headless server? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'll try to make this as un-convoluted as possible. I have multiple machines in my home. One of which, is a headless media server which runs Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by burgertime, Oct 7, 2017.

1. How do I tell if a process/application is running on headless server?

I'll try to make this as un-convoluted as possible. I have multiple machines in my home. One of which, is a headless media server which runs Windows 10. This machine stays on 24/7 and runs various tasks, not the least of which is holding all of my media, and serving PLEX. What I want is for this machine to *always* be connected to a VPN. I have a VPN subscription, and on this machine, I have installed OpenVPN gui client. I can open the OpenVPN client and connect to the VPN just fine. Trouble is, I want this machine to *always* be connected.

OK, now that the scenario has been built... The best way I could figure on doing this, was to create a task using Task Scheduler. I've got the task all set up as follows:

GENERAL> "Run whether user is logged in or not" / "run with highest privileges"
    TRIGGERS> "At system Startup"
    ACTIONS> "start a program" - <path to .exe and arguments>

My problem is that when I manually click "run", nothing happens, or at least, the program does not start. However, if I change the general setting to use a user account instead of "run whether user is logged in or not", when I click run, the program launches.

Here's the conundrum I'm confronted with: If I have this task set to "start at login", how do I know the task is starting by itself? If I remote into the server machine(which is how I connect to it), then once the desktop loads, I would imagine OpenVPN is loaded, but I also just logged in! How can I tell if this process is running without my having to log in?

Wow, that was really convoluted. I hope someone can help!

Thanks in advance!

:)

burgertime, Oct 7, 2017

2. How do I tell if a text I received is a group text?

How can I tell if a text I received went to any other recipients, and who they were?

Oceannotdesert, Oct 7, 2017
  3. Entegy Win User
    How do I tell if a Nokia Lumia 635 I bought from a work friend is stolen?... Please help! Asap!

Stolen phones may have been blocked from the carrier's network via the IMEI number.

If you suspect your "friend" stole the phone, turn it into the police. Note that they will likely want info on the seller however.

And if you really suspected it was stolen, I don't think it was smart to buy it in the first place.

Entegy, Oct 7, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

How do I tell if a process/application is running on headless server?

Samuria, Oct 7, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    You cannot unless you can get in with WinSCP or Putty.

bro67, Oct 9, 2017
  6. Barman58 Win User
    Does this startup scheduled task create an entry in the Event log? either directly or indirectly - if so checking this log entry should give the assurance you are seeking. If it does not then adding a call to a batch file that creates a basic log file entry to the task should serve purpose

Barman58, Oct 9, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Barman58, I was thinking of maybe setting something to do a trigger to send a request for a small smtp mail server that could send a message out. There are some free SMS services out there that could be used to send a text message if the server goes down or comes back online, or even switches to UPS. Only problem is that if you lose Internet, they would have to have a way to send a alert from the server through a SMS broadcast.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How do I tell if a process/application is running on headless server?

1. How do I tell if a process/application is running on headless server? - Similar Threads - tell process application

2. Any server users - How do I enable the store application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any server users - How do I enable the store application: Hi there I'm trying to to change the theme with something from Ms but it needs some "application" any ideas anybody --I'm testing the W2k22 server so it's probably similar to W2K19 server if anybody has experience on that one. [img] Cheers jimbo 174069
  3. Any server users - How do I enable the store application

in Windows 10 Support
    Any server users - How do I enable the store application: Hi there I'm trying to to change the theme with something from Ms but it needs some "application" any ideas anybody --I'm testing the W2k22 server so it's probably similar to W2K19 server if anybody has experience on that one. [img] Cheers jimbo 174069
  4. Guide to run windows 10 pro headless please??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Guide to run windows 10 pro headless please??: I will be getting a new machine with I3-10100 no dedicated GPU either ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI motherboard 16gig ram and 4 x16tb drives. Mainly as home file server/torrent and stuff My house hold is filled with android phones,dells and chromebooks, in rare cases mac from work. Is...
  5. Application running as a background process.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Application running as a background process.: I am trying to use JDA Space Planning Plus. Yesterday it was working just fine, then a random restart on my Windows 10 PC happened. Now when I try to run the program, no window opens. When I open the task manager, it is taking up significant CPU and memory running as a...
  6. How do I tell the server not to save email copies?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I tell the server not to save email copies?: My business email mailbox gets filled up and I can't receive new emails. My website host just cleared 50 MB out for me and says I need to change the mailbox settings so that the server doesn't save a copy. I can find no place in the settings dialog box that addresses...
  7. ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM: Hi folks. Nothing wrong in virtualising servers these days. anybody tried this one yet on a VM -- looks quite good for things like NAS servers --small and very fast. You just run it from a webui so it works 100% headless - normally that's what you want a NAS server to...
  8. How to check/change resolution of headless pc /4k fit headless dongle

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to check/change resolution of headless pc /4k fit headless dongle: Folks, I have win 10 pro on a headless pc that has evga 1080ti that I pretty much use as a media server. When I rdp into it from my win 7 pro I cannot see any details of the monitor or change any resolution of the win 10 machine. Under display options there's a message that...
  9. RDP to Headless Media Server

RDP to Headless Media Server: Not sure which area of the forum to post this, and thought the networking was probably the most relevant. I've built a home media server using a little AMD 5350 on a mini ITX board. I installed Windows 10 on it this week as I couldn't get my head around Linux at all....
  10. NAS or Headless Linux box for multimedia server etc

NAS or Headless Linux box for multimedia server etc: Hi there I know loads of people here use NAS boxes one way or another. I'm torn between getting a standard NAS box or using a home build Linux headless server for similar --using Linux LVM makes creating Logical data spaces out of multiple physical HDD's a doddle. NAS...