Windows 10: How do I transfer empty space from (D:) to (C:)?

Discus and support How do I transfer empty space from (D:) to (C:)? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a TON of empty space in (D:) and my (C:) is getting filled up constantly. So I looked up some stuff online to try and transfer the storage. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jabbie, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Jabbie Win User

How do I transfer empty space from (D:) to (C:)?

I have a TON of empty space in (DHow do I transfer empty space from (D:) to (C:)? :) and my (CHow do I transfer empty space from (D:) to (C:)? :) is getting filled up constantly. So I looked up some stuff online to try and transfer the storage. I opened up disk management and shrunk the size in (DHow do I transfer empty space from (D:) to (C:)? :). However, (DHow do I transfer empty space from (D:) to (C:)? :) is on Disk 1 and (CHow do I transfer empty space from (D:) to (C:)? :) is on Disk 0 and it won't let me transfer the storage space from disk to disk.

How do I transfer empty space from (D:) to (C:)? [​IMG]

Here's what my disk management looks like, and here's the greyed out "extend volume..." on (CHow do I transfer empty space from (D:) to (C:)? :) when I free up space from (DHow do I transfer empty space from (D:) to (C:)? :)

Anyone know of a way to transfer some of that space? Some of these newer games take up A LOT of space. Looking at you, Shadow of War. If it matters I'm on an MSI GE62VR Apache Pro.

:)

Jabbie, Nov 27, 2017

2. Disks and Drives on Windows 10

Ok so basically I want to allocate more space from my "D:" drive to my "C:" drive. My "D" drive has a lot of empty space that I can utilize. However, both Drives are on different Disks. I have Disk 0 and Disk 1. Disk 0 has drive "C". Disk 1has drive "D".
    I've tried everything to allocate more to drive "C" which needs more space. Is it even possible to do so?

Also, my "D" drive is empty but says 1% used?

Deacan Gomez, Nov 27, 2017
  3. rendul Win User
    Windows 10 - Delete partition System D on C Drive - what will happen?

A tech added a primary partition on my C drive, calling it System D, which is taking a large amount of memory from my C drive. I have tried to expand C, didn't work. If I empty this partition and just delete it, what happens to the space D drive used?
    Does it automatically add the space back to C or do I end up with a bigger unallocated space or another unallocated space? I have nearly 300 GB of unallocated space that I need on my drive C. How do I allocate the available space to my C Drive and extend
    my C Drive? This certainly has become difficult to manage without knowing the resulting impact.

rendul, Nov 27, 2017
  4. MrNeeds Win User

Hi Jabbie, welcome to the forums

It's impossible, unfortunately, short of creating a RAID configuration, which wouldn't work very well with an SSD and a mechanical hard drive, the easier option would be to install your games and non essential programs to the D drive.

MrNeeds, Nov 27, 2017
  5. Jabbie Win User
    That's what I was afraid of. Thanks very much for confirming it though!

Jabbie, Nov 27, 2017
  6. MrNeeds Win User
    No problem Jabbie, sorry we couldn't help further, but in general, games rarely make use of an SSD's speed, so you'll not notice much difference apart form loading times in games, all my games are installed on the second data drive in my system and they run perfectly fine.

MrNeeds, Nov 27, 2017
  7. Why would you shrink the size of the D drive?

I would just manually move over files and reinstall games onto the D partition.

Masterchiefxx17, Nov 27, 2017
  8. How do I transfer empty space from (D:) to (C:)?

You can't transfer empty space from one disk to another disk. You can however use that free space by replacing C with D for example, if you are installing a program, when you are asked for the location where you want to install the new program just change C to D where it asks you what location to install to. You could also make a folder on the D drive called "D:\downloads" for file downloads or "D:\music" for music files, no quotes. Most programs or file downloads default install location is "C:\*****", so, just change the C to a D and that way you can get use of all that free space you have. I hope that makes sense to you.

mfmathis75, Nov 27, 2017
  9. MrHudson Win User

Do a clean install will free up disk. I done that.

MrHudson, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I transfer empty space from (D:) to (C:)? - Similar Threads - transfer empty space

2. I want to transfer some space from my D drive to C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to transfer some space from my D drive to C drive: Whenever I create a partition from D drive and i right click on C drive to extend it the extend drive option is just grayed out. I tried softwares like EaseUs and Aomei but nothing worked. I have given a screenshot of my create and format disk partitions page. You you want to...
  3. I want to transfer some space from my D drive to C drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to transfer some space from my D drive to C drive: Whenever I create a partition from D drive and i right click on C drive to extend it the extend drive option is just grayed out. I tried softwares like EaseUs and Aomei but nothing worked. I have given a screenshot of my create and format disk partitions page. You you want to...
  4. windows transfer from disk D: to C:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows transfer from disk D: to C:: I noticed that I have windows on disk C and Dwhen I tried to boot windows from C it didn't work, my guess is that I run windows on disk Dhow can I transfer windows from D to C without data loss or any other problems...
  5. windows transfer from disk D: to C:

windows transfer from disk D: to C:: I noticed that I have windows on disk C and Dwhen I tried to boot windows from C it didn't work, my guess is that I run windows on disk Dhow can I transfer windows from D to C without data loss or any other problems...
  6. windows transfer from disk D: to C:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. how do i transfer hard drive capacity from the d drive to the c drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i transfer hard drive capacity from the d drive to the c drive?: I have tried altering partitions but I cannot increase the capicity on the c drive. I have 900gb of storage on the d drive but only 100gb on the c drive which is full....
  8. how do i transfer hard drive capacity from the d drive to the c drive?

how do i transfer hard drive capacity from the d drive to the c drive?: I have tried altering partitions but I cannot increase the capicity on the c drive. I have 900gb of storage on the d drive but only 100gb on the c drive which is full....
  9. how do i transfer hard drive capacity from the d drive to the c drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Transferring files from C: to D:?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring files from C: to D:?: Hello all. I need to free up some storage on my C drive and I was wondering if it is safe to transfer files from the C to D drive. If so, what files would be good to transfer from my c to d? Program files? NVIDIA driver files? Not sure what would be safe to transfer from one...