Windows 10: How do I transfer files between two laptops, one with no screen?

Discus and support How do I transfer files between two laptops, one with no screen? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two laptops and one has no working screen and I need to connect them together so I can download a lot of files to my new laptop. I do have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jayhawk714, Nov 11, 2016.

1. How do I transfer files between two laptops, one with no screen?

I have two laptops and one has no working screen and I need to connect them together so I can download a lot of files to my new laptop. I do have a cross-over ethernet cable and am running windows 10 on both laptops.

:)

jayhawk714, Nov 11, 2016
  2. jolhoss Win User

Transfering data between two laptops

Hello,

I'm a newbie at this. How does one transfer data/files/content between two laptops ? The old laptop is a Dell Vostro 1500 running Windows 7 and the new laptop is a HP 15 running Windows 10.

Thank you and best,

jolhoss, Nov 11, 2016
  3. garym123 Win User
    Cannot Pair Lumia 822 Windows Phone 8 With Windows 7 Laptop

That may be an indication of a problem but pairing is not required to transfer filles between the phone and PC.

Have you tried transfering files between the two?

If the laptop generates the code I always confirn that on the other device, don't know if that makes a difference.

garym123, Nov 11, 2016
  4. Adalwar Win User

How do I transfer files between two laptops, one with no screen?

1) Try connect the 2 with LAN and see if you can do the job.
    2) Attaching an external Monitor , could be a nice idea.
    3) Other possibility is removing the HDD and put it in an external enclosure.

Adalwar, Nov 11, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    Depending upon your area and availability, you could get an Ethernet Cross-over cable and connect the 2 computers. Personally, I frequently use one of the adapters available for installing the drive and plug into a USB port. I also keep on hand a couple of the External USB cases for installing a drive, works just like a WDC Passport drive but with drives I have to work with, different cases for the PATA and SATA type drives.

Berton, Nov 11, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    If the files were not previously shared on the old laptop, then you are going to have to connect a monitor to it in order to set up the sharing. In addition in order to connect the two laptops together with just an ethernet cable between them and no router you will have to manually setup the IP addresses.

So, unless you already had all the required networking setup on the old laptop:

So your best bets at success are:
    1. Attach an external monitor to the old laptop and hope it picks it up automatically when you boot it so you can setup peer to peer networking.

2. Remove the hard drive from the old laptop, connect it to the new computer with a USB adapter/enclosure.

NavyLCDR, Nov 11, 2016
  7. Thanks for all the help! I ended up connecting the screen-less laptop to my TV using a HDMI cable and a cross-over cable between the two laptops. No problem getting the files off my old laptop.

jayhawk714, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How do I transfer files between two laptops, one with no screen?

1. How do I transfer files between two laptops, one with no screen? - Similar Threads - transfer files between

2. How do I transfer files between a windows laptop and a Mac laptop if there even is a way

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I transfer files between a windows laptop and a Mac laptop if there even is a way: I'm a youtuber...at least trying to be My equipment is quite low quality and old but ik trying to Make due. Now I typically record my videos with my 2015 MacBook pro however recently for unknown reasons, my encoding has been severely overloaded and I'm recording my videos in...
  3. How Do I Sync Between Two Laptops

in Windows 10 Customization
    How Do I Sync Between Two Laptops: Other people on this list are either having trouble or the post is fairly dated. I was wondering if someone could tell me the correct steps to sync between two laptops. I want them to stay in sync all the time but I don't want to sync with OneDrive. I have searched with Bing...
  4. How to sync a folder between two laptops?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to sync a folder between two laptops?: Hi everyone, I have two laptops, Laptop A and Laptop B. I use Laptop A for working from home and Laptop B is mainly for Netflix as it also works as a tablet. Is it possible to sync my work from Laptop A to Laptop B? OneDrive doesn't work on Laptop A so I am unable to use...
  5. LAN file transfer very slow between two PCs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LAN file transfer very slow between two PCs: I'm trying to transfer videos and photos from my old PC to the new but the transfer rate is very slow. I have a gigabit router and both PCs are wired. Sometimes it gets to around 900Mbps then drops down to 50Mbps or even zero. Both PCs are on Windows 10 Pro 1809. So far I...
  6. Transferring OS between two SSDs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring OS between two SSDs: Hello all I built a small home server a year or so ago. As i had a spare key lying around, I have used Windows 10 as my OS and simply connected all my other devices to it. It’s obviously not a bespoke server solution but it works well enough for my purposes. I used a...
  7. Transferring data between two computers.

in Windows 10 Support
    Transferring data between two computers.: Hello, I have recently bought a new laptop and I want to transfer all the data from my Personal Computer to laptop. Which option should I use, disk image or clone creator? Is transferring all the data in order to make my laptop the same as my computer even possible? Both...
  8. Transferring files between two windows 10 installations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring files between two windows 10 installations: So, i have a new HDD with Win 10 installed. What i'm wonderering is: Can i transfer files between my old HDD with win 10 (home) and my new HDD with win 10 (pro). I know that tranferring files between win 7 and 8 creates problems. But is that the case here too? 30908
  9. How do I share everything between two laptops?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I share everything between two laptops?: I have two laptops both running Windows 10 and I need to be able to access ALL data from either one via WiFi. One laptop is my main one that I use everyday in my house. The other laptop I need to use is in my workshop, however, I need to be able to access all...
  10. So, I am planning on doing some transferring between two computers...

in Windows 10 Support
    So, I am planning on doing some transferring between two computers...: I am transferring files from my old Windows 7 computer to my new Windows 10 computer, but I am kind of new at this whole transferring thing. I have some questions: What cable do I need? What software do I use to do the transfer? Do both computers have to be on at the same...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. transfering data from old laptop to new one with usb flash player