Windows 10: How do I transfer win 10 license to new computer? Upgrades involved

Discus and support How do I transfer win 10 license to new computer? Upgrades involved in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm wondering if anyone knows how to successfully transfer a win 10 license to a newly built custom pc? Let me explain my situation: I have an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sdsubball, Jul 21, 2016.

1. sdsubball Win User

How do I transfer win 10 license to new computer? Upgrades involved

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to successfully transfer a win 10 license to a newly built custom pc?

Let me explain my situation:

I have an old desktop that I built and upgraded some parts over the years that initially had win XP on it. I don't remember if it was OEM or retail, may have been OEM. (When I checked recently using some method or software, it said I had a retail copy of win 8.1 pro or win 10 pro). Then I think around 2013, I bought Win 8 pro upgrade for a big discount provided by Microsoft themselves. Ended up updating to 8.1 pro later on. Then recently I finally upgraded my old pc to win 10 pro 64-bit from 8.1 32-bit. Everything went well as far as upgrading on my old pc.

Now recently I built a new pc and have been wanting to transfer the windows license from my old pc to my new one. I tried deactivating my license on my old pc and then entering the license on my new pc for activation, but it said the license was currently being used on another pc or something like that.

I then tried calling MS tech support and they tried some things with me, but didn't a work, got the same issue so they escalated the issue to another Dept. They called me back and I didn't have time for them to help me with them connecting remotely to my pc and I didn't want them to anyway. The tech support rep did tell me to try installing win 8 on my new pc and then upgrading to win 10. I tried installing win 8 pro and after installing the activation didn't want work. It said the key is being used by another pc.

I plan on trying something else soon, but does anyone know if there's a way to transfer my old license to my new pc in light of my circumstances? I feel like all that needs to be done is my old pc needs to be taken off MS's activation servers and the license needs to be allowed to be activated on my new pc. Not sure if it works that way.

:)

sdsubball, Jul 21, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Jul 21, 2016
  3. Saltgrass Win User
    Is it true that upgrades to 10 from Win 7 do not support license transfer to new hardware?

Win 10 will not transfer to new equipment. If you have a retail version of a previous OS you can install to new equipment using the retail license. But that was for the free upgrade... Now it may take a retail Win 10 License.

To be honest, I have not done this....

Saltgrass, Jul 21, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Assuming your 8.1 pro is retail status as you think, you would need to reinstall 8.1 pro on new pc and use telephone activation to transfer it.

Problem here is you have a pro upgrade key not a full install key, and afaik, you cannot reinstall 8.1 pro on new pc and use 8.1 pro key to activate it, or use telephone activation (worth a try though). So I cannot see way of transferring 8.1 key.

However, you have a digital licence on old pc as you have upgraded to 10 pro, and if you update to Redstone in August 2nd, yiuy may be able to sort your problem.

This has the ability to transfer digital licence to a new mobo but it is not 100% confirmed it will work for a total new pc (I have tested it works between vms but not between two pcs), but it does look like it will work.

cereberus, Jul 21, 2016
Thema:

1. How do I transfer win 10 license to new computer? Upgrades involved - Similar Threads - transfer license computer

2. How do I transfer a digital license for Windows to a new computer?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I transfer a digital license for Windows to a new computer?: I bought Windows 10 Pro a few years ago and installed in on my personal desktop computer. Well that computer has since died and I have a new one, but it has Windows 10 Home Edition.How do I transfer the license that I purchased to this new computer?...
  3. How do I transfer a digital license for Windows to a new computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I transfer a digital license for Windows to a new computer?: I bought Windows 10 Pro a few years ago and installed in on my personal desktop computer. Well that computer has since died and I have a new one, but it has Windows 10 Home Edition.How do I transfer the license that I purchased to this new computer?...
  4. How do I transfer Win 11 Pro license to my new computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I transfer Win 11 Pro license to my new computer?: My new computer has Win 11 Home OEM installed, but my old computer has Win 11 Probought from the Microsoft Store.How do I transfer my Pro version over to my new computer?...
  5. How do I transfer Win 11 Pro license to my new computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I transfer Win 11 Pro license to my new computer?: My new computer has Win 11 Home OEM installed, but my old computer has Win 11 Probought from the Microsoft Store.How do I transfer my Pro version over to my new computer?...
  6. Transfering Win 10 license to a new computer

Transfering Win 10 license to a new computer: Hi, I have two questions about licenses of Win 10. So I have two computers right now, mostly using the newer one. Both of them are digital licenses linked to my MS account and both of them are updated from windows 7. One of them being Windows 10 Pro the newer PC and the...
  7. Transferring a Win 10 Pro License to a new computer.

Transferring a Win 10 Pro License to a new computer.: Just got a new i710700 computer to do audio and video work. This one came with Windows 10 home pre-installed. My old computer will be used only for office stuff now and it has Win10 pro on it. Can I transfer the pro license to the new computer and just have win 10 home on...
  8. How do I transfer my Microsoft License to a new computer?

How do I transfer my Microsoft License to a new computer?: How do I transfer my Microsoft License to a new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-transfer-my-microsoft-license-to-a-new/e161d5fd-5521-401d-ae3e-cf3bf096e8fd
  9. Transfering win 10 license to new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfering win 10 license to new computer: Hello! So I felt it was about time to build a new gaming rig as my current one has passed 9 years already and has seen better days. And for my final touch, I want to transfer my win 10 license if possible to my new computer. I've looked around the webs and I understand that...
  10. Transferring a Win 10 to a new PC, with a free upgrade license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring a Win 10 to a new PC, with a free upgrade license: This may already have been answered, but I haven't seen it answered in a way that I thought captured the significant details. Scenario: I have a PC with a retail copy of Win 8.1 Pro installed and activated. I get the free Win 10 Pro upgrade by download. I create an .iso...