Windows 10: How do I turn off automatic updates in Win 10?

Discus and support How do I turn off automatic updates in Win 10? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I would really like to know how to turn off Win 10 updates as this has cause some issues with my systems in the recent past. If i can't turn them off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by eqaerye, Nov 24, 2016.

1. eqaerye Win User

How do I turn off automatic updates in Win 10?

I would really like to know how to turn off Win 10 updates as this has cause some issues with my systems in the recent past. If i can't turn them off how do i set them to where I have to go in and check for updates myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

:)

eqaerye, Nov 24, 2016

2. How do I turn off Automatic Wndows Updates in Windows 10?

I don't know about the Enterprise version, but here's how to put a leash on Microsoft Update and control this nonsense (for now).

If you are using Windows 10 Pro, you can squash automatic forced updates using the Group Policy Editor.

• In the search bar, type "gpedit".
    • Open the group policy editor and navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
    • Find the policy setting "Configure Automatic Updates". Double Click to Open.
    • Set this policy to "Disabled" and you will then have to manually check for updates. Windows won't scan for them automatically.
    • Alternately, you can set this to "Enabled" and then set "Configure automatic updating" to Option 2: Notify for download and notify for install. This will automatically scan for available updates but won't download or install them. It will notify you that
      updates are available and then you'll have to manually download and install them.
    If you are using the Home version, you basically have two options.

• If your internet connection is wi-fi, set it as a metered connection. Non-security updates won't download and install over a metered connection. Note that if you connect to the same router or modem with a cable, you can't set it as metered even if it really
      is metered. What moron at Microsoft thought that was a good idea?
      • Open "Settings".
      • Click "Network & Internet".
      • Under your wi-fi connection, click "Advanced Options".
      • Under the "Metered Connection" option, push the slider to "On".
    • If the above doesn't work for you, the only way to stop automatic forced updates is to completely shut down the Windows Update Service. I don't recommend this except in extreme circumstances because it will probably cause some of your apps to act flaky
      and you won't be able to download or update apps from the store (if you find anything useful in there anyway).
      • Type "Services.msc" in the search bar.
      • Open the services console from the Start Menu.
      • Find the "Windows Update" service and right click.
      • In the context pop-up menu, click "Properties".
      • Under Service Status, click "Stop".
      • After the service has stopped, select "Disabled" under Startup Type.
      • Click the Apply Button then OK.
      • Windows now can't update itself. You will want to turn this service back on when you are ready to update Windows, Store Apps, or download any apps from the store.

I sincerely hope this helps anyone who needs to take back control of Windows Updates.

Note to the Windows Team: I follow one of your Facebook groups and I see that the comments are going at least 3 to 1 against what you are doing with Windows 10. You may want to sit up and take notice of that. On my primary laptop, Windows 10 is fully under
    my control and 100% Cortana Virus Free with no background process still running.

Byron Knight, Nov 24, 2016
  3. How do I turn off Automatic Wndows Updates in Windows 10?

I certainly request Microsoft to stop doing this for Home users--it causes massive download costs.

Brian B

BrianBecconsall, Nov 24, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 24, 2016
Thema:

1. How do I turn off automatic updates in Win 10? - Similar Threads - turn off automatic

2. How do I turn off automatic updates of microsoft edge win7_32bit?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I turn off automatic updates of microsoft edge win7_32bit?: How do I turn off automatic updates of microsoft edge win7_32bit?I have searched the answer on internet,but it doesn't work. I can't find Microsoft Edge edgeupdate/edgeupdatem....
  3. How do I turn off automatic updates of microsoft edge win7_32bit?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I turn off automatic updates of microsoft edge win7_32bit?: How do I turn off automatic updates of microsoft edge win7_32bit?I have searched the answer on internet,but it doesn't work. I can't find Microsoft Edge edgeupdate/edgeupdatem....
  4. How do I turn off automatic update for windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I turn off automatic update for windows 10: So I wanted to know how to turn off automatic update because when I update cumulative update 21H1, I got a bug that made my screen turn black after sign in so and when I don't install it after a few weeks it crash my pc and install cumulative update 21H1...
  5. How do I turn off automatic update for windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I turn off automatic update for windows 10: So I wanted to know how to turn off automatic update because when I update cumulative update 21H1, I got a bug that made my screen turn black after sign in so and when I don't install it after a few weeks it crash my pc and install cumulative update 21H1...
  6. How do I turn off automatic update for windows 10

7. how to turn off automatic updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to turn off automatic updates: how to turn off windows automatic updates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-off-automatic-updates/582cc4a2-708b-4b43-a1eb-38bd4781877e
  8. How do I turn off automatic updates?

How do I turn off automatic updates?: Windows 10 operating system. HP pavilion g series laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-off-automatic-updates/d1b87c4f-dfe1-4049-ab3a-bb89136e0468
  9. how to turn off automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how to turn off automatic updates?: I'm having a laptop with eMMC with only 32GB of storage.I had 18 GB of free space and last night I recived some updates which left me only 10 GB of free space.I want to turn off option of auto updating if there is any. I switched meter connection to ON.Is there anything...
  10. How do I Turn Off Win 10 Notifications?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I Turn Off Win 10 Notifications?: Hey! How can I disable the notifications I keep getting (and persistently showing on up my Desktop)? [img] I, myself, am pretty thorough and I really don't need these 'reminders' - whether for email or news or app updates, etc. Can't I just disable this feature...