Windows 10: How do i uninstall Microsoft Edge and Cortana

Discus and support How do i uninstall Microsoft Edge and Cortana in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; These seem very, very, very useless to me and i want them off my pc because they cause an annoyance to me >inb4 op, cortana and edge are superior, op,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BillyMays, Jul 31, 2015.

1. BillyMays Win User

How do i uninstall Microsoft Edge and Cortana

These seem very, very, very useless to me and i want them off my pc because they cause an annoyance to me
    >inb4 op, cortana and edge are superior, op, why do you want to uninstall them?

please just tell me how to locate these programs in my registry to get them the hell off my pc. Thanks! *Smile

:)

BillyMays, Jul 31, 2015

2. How do I COMPLETELY uninstall "Cortana" & "microsoft edge"?

You can not prevent somebody to reinstall but they will not install on their own. You can't prevent reset not to install these.

To uninstall Cortana -

Windows Key+X > Windows Powershell (Admin) > Copy the below, paste into Powershell > Enter

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Remove-AppxPackage

Edge is very tightly integrated with Windows OS. Hence, it is recommended we should not tamper with it. I would recommend that you change your default browser to something else.

E for Excel, Jul 31, 2015
  3. AS7734 Win User
    How do I COMPLETELY uninstall "Cortana" & "microsoft edge"?

I do NOT trust microsoft to have my best interests in mind with these 2 programs/apps. I want them TOTALLY REMOVED from my PC, not just disabled or turn off, REMOVED with no way to reinstall themselves again, NOT EVEN DURING A RESET.

AS7734, Jul 31, 2015
  4. bobjoe Win User

bobjoe, Jul 31, 2015
  5. BillyMays Win User
    BillyMays, Jul 31, 2015
  6. serpentxx Win User
    That unfortunately wont get rid of edge or Cortana, they seem to be protected.

Funny enough though you can use this method to uninstall the windows store, you would think that would want to be protected too How do i uninstall Microsoft Edge and Cortana :p

serpentxx, Aug 1, 2015
  7. Gudariak Win User
    True, Edge is protected, how can I override this ?

Gudariak, Aug 4, 2015
  8. CountMike New Member

No like, no use, simple thing. Some parts are deeply integrated in windows, IE for instance, can't get rid of them completely, never ever. Whole of EU tried to get MS to take IE out and all they succeeded is to make MS remove it as default browser and make easier installing and using third party browsers as default browser.

CountMike, Aug 4, 2015
  9. Wynona Win User
    Actually you can do better than that. You can add to his reputation by giving him a "Thumbs Up" at the lower left of his post.

Wynona, Aug 4, 2015
  10. Wynona Win User
    The best way is to tell Cortana, "No, thanks!" And using another browser as your default will take care of Edge. Neither one will bother you again.

Wynona, Aug 4, 2015
  11. DavidG Win User
    Hi bobjoe,

Your link does not have a way to reinstall Microsoft apps.

First I want to give EVERYONE my FREE ADVICE.
    Hopefully you will create a restore point before starting and have already created a Windows 10 Rescue Disc and Recovery USB flash drive. You need these things before attempting any changes to your computer.

Remove Default Apps from Windows 10
    https://thomas.vanhoutte.be/miniblog...ndows-10-apps/

Reinstall Default Built-in Apps in Windows 10
    https://thomas.vanhoutte.be/miniblog...ndows-10-apps/

Do you know that you can not use F8 to boot in Windows 10? That is why the Rescue Disc and Recovery USB flash drive for Windows 10 are VITAL.

DavidG, Aug 6, 2015
  12. CountMike New Member
    Those "programs" you refer to are integrated in OS and are part of whole system, removing them would brake other parts. An example is IE that was part of the system ever since first version. Windows File Explorer, search and other functions are within same engine and none of that would work. You can't just remove part of OS and expect it to work.

CountMike, Aug 12, 2015
  13. mrgeek Win User

mrgeek, Oct 2, 2015
  14. DavidG Win User
    Thanks for letting me know about the bad link in my post, I replaced it. Seems to be working now.

I did find this link to Tenforums Tutorial on removing Apps in Windows 10, this seems more comprehensive than any other link I have found. TENFORUMS tutorials almost always are better than other sites. It's worth a look.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

DavidG, Oct 3, 2015
  15. lynefahm Win User
    I found this from another user, it worked! I would rename (to say, ME and MECP) instead of delete, and if you ever want to reverse the changes, just rename it back to MicrosoftEdge and MicrosoftEdgeCP to what it was originally!

To do the things below, you need to edit the permissions first. Google 'how to access system apps folder in windows' and you'll see articles on how to edit the permission (so that you can change things yourself in the folder).

Navigate to the Windows Apps install location:
    C:\Windows\SystemApps\
    And right-click the Microsoft Edge folder, Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe, and select Properties, where you can set the folder and all its contents to Read-Only (make sure the checkbox shows a checkmark, not a square). This will prevent Windows from making changes to the folder.
    Then, you can open the folder and rename the Microsoft Edge executables (MicrosoftEdge.exeand MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe) and/or delete them. I would rename them.

lynefahm, Oct 9, 2015
Thema:

1. How do i uninstall Microsoft Edge and Cortana - Similar Threads - uninstall Microsoft Edge

2. Cortana = disgusting how do I uninstall this junk?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cortana = disgusting how do I uninstall this junk?: I find it truly sickening that, in a time of high online privacy concerns, Microsoft decides to install spyware on my WORK computer, completely without my consent. I was looking around online for ways to uninstall it, but sites warn that tampering with the Windows registry...
  3. how do i uninstall cortana

in Cortana
    how do i uninstall cortana: how do i uninstall cortana https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-uninstall-cortana/e98d2919-4fca-48d5-af6a-0b5e9dbc2f0e
  4. How do i uninstall edge

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do i uninstall edge: I hate edge and when it updated it almost broke my computer submitted by /u/Beefy-lettuces [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hpes9a/how_do_i_uninstall_edge/
  5. How do I uninstall the Microsoft Edge "Update"

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I uninstall the Microsoft Edge "Update": I have a problem with Adobe Acrobat Pro XI in that it shuts itself down within ten seconds. Adobe Reader does not exhibit this problem. I have read in the Adobe Support Community that the recent update to Microsoft Edge-Chromium, (automagically updated here on 16 JUN 2020),...
  6. How do I uninstall the Microsoft Edge "Update"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I uninstall the Microsoft Edge "Update": I have a problem with Adobe Acrobat Pro XI in that it shuts itself down within ten seconds. Adobe Reader does not exhibit this problem. I have read in the Adobe Support Community that the recent update to Microsoft Edge-Chromium, (automagically updated here on 16 JUN 2020),...
  7. How Do I Uninstall or Disable Cortana

in Cortana
    How Do I Uninstall or Disable Cortana: I appreciate that it exist and understand it has its uses but for me? Not really, I've never found it useful and it just sits in the background hogging ram. If it wouldn't be too much trouble I wouldn't mind being informed of a way to disable Cortana as there is nothing in...
  8. how to uninstall microsoft edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to uninstall microsoft edge: how to uninstall microsoft edge in my laptop windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/how-to-uninstall-microsoft-edge/4396e807-7d62-46bf-9994-cac8abb78daa
  9. How to uninstall Microsoft Edge

in Browsers and Email
    How to uninstall Microsoft Edge: Guides and software to uninstall Microsoft edge, https://news.softpedia.com/news/how-...0-491534.shtml 111947
  10. How to uninstall Microsoft Edge ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to uninstall Microsoft Edge ?: How to uninstall Microsoft Edge ? 12908