Windows 10: How do I upgrade from 32 to 64 bit?

Discus and support How do I upgrade from 32 to 64 bit? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, i've followed the tutorials on how to do this but I am really confused. My pc supports 64 bit but it just doesn't work after I restart my pc. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Filip47, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Filip47 Win User

How do I upgrade from 32 to 64 bit?

So, i've followed the tutorials on how to do this but I am really confused. My pc supports 64 bit but it just doesn't work after I restart my pc. I've downloaded the media creation tool and installed the setup on a flash drive. But, as I said, when I restarted my pc, it didn't work. I also configured the bios setup so it would read my flash drive first. I am also curious about what does 'upgrade this pc now' do and if it can help me with this problem. Thank you.

:)

Filip47, Feb 27, 2018

2. how do i upgrade from 32 bit to 64

• Switching to Windows 10 64 bit is free, you don't have to pay for it. As long as you have a qualifying Windows 7 or 8 or Windows 10 license, you are entitled to use it.
    • Switching requires that you perform a new installation, that means files, applications and settings will be deleted.
    • You will have to reinstall applications and native 64 bit drivers.
    • Backup before migrating: How
      to: Create a system image in Windows 10

Step 1: Download Windows 10 64 bit then create a bootable copy:

How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2: Boot from the 64 bit Windows 10 install media, then perform a custom or clean install:

Andre Da Costa, Feb 27, 2018
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    how do i upgrade from 32 bit to 64

You can *not* do this. The only way to change the "bitness" of any version of Windows from 32-bit to 64-bit, or vice-versa, is by doing a clean installation.

Why do you want to do this? It may not be necessary.

Ken Blake, Feb 27, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you cannot upgrade linearly from 32 to 64 bit. To install a 64 bit OS in place of a 32 bit OS you would have to clean install one - that is, boot from the appropriate 64 bit installation medium, and delete all partitions related to your existing OS.

Upgrading - e.g. Win 7 to Win 10 (build 1709), Win 10 build 1703 to build 1709. Both must be 32 bit OSs or 64 bit OSs.

dalchina, Feb 27, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @Filip47

What do you mean 'didn't work'? Do you mean you can't boot from the usb?

You cannot upgrade a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system. It has to be a clean install of 64-bit Windows 10. To do a clean install you have to boot from the usb install media.

That is an option in the Media Creation Tool, it will upgrade the existing system to the latest version of Windows 10. It's an upgrade, so cannot change it from 32 to 64 bit. Only a clean install can do that.

Use the MCT to 'make media for another PC' and make a bootable usb for 64-bit Windows 10. Boot from that to do the clean install. Have you see our TenForums tutorials yet?

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

Clean Install Windows 10

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I upgrade from 32 to 64 bit? - Similar Threads - upgrade bit

2. My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...: My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code 0x000000f also saying the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. Can anyone help?...
  3. My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...: My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code 0x000000f also saying the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. Can anyone help?...
  4. My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. What do I do if I can't get upgrade my pc from 32 bit to 64 bit EVEN if it has a 64 bit...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What do I do if I can't get upgrade my pc from 32 bit to 64 bit EVEN if it has a 64 bit...: What do I do if I can't get upgrade my pc from 32 bit to 64 bit EVEN if it has a 64 bit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-do-i-do-if-i-cant-get-upgrade-my-pc-from-32/b58b19aa-5d54-4d7f-bd3e-8f1b6c2c8eeb
  6. What do I do if I can't get upgrade my pc from 32 bit to 64 bit EVEN if it has a 64 bit...

What do I do if I can't get upgrade my pc from 32 bit to 64 bit EVEN if it has a 64 bit...: What do I do if I can't get upgrade my pc from 32 bit to 64 bit EVEN if it has a 64 bit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-do-i-do-if-i-cant-get-upgrade-my-pc-from-32/b58b19aa-5d54-4d7f-bd3e-8f1b6c2c8eeb
  7. What do I do if I can't get upgrade my pc from 32 bit to 64 bit EVEN if it has a 64 bit...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. How to upgrade an old version of windows 7 32 bit to an a new version?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to upgrade an old version of windows 7 32 bit to an a new version?: I nead some help with windows 7, how to upgrade my window to an a new version? how to download and install it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-upgrade-an-old-version-of-windows-7-32-bit/f27015da-aec3-4ded-b99f-ae2575b9ce1f
  9. How to upgrade an old version of windows 7 32 bit to an a new version?

How to upgrade an old version of windows 7 32 bit to an a new version?: I nead some help with windows 7, how to upgrade my window to an a new version? how to download and install it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-upgrade-an-old-version-of-windows-7-32-bit/f27015da-aec3-4ded-b99f-ae2575b9ce1f
  10. can I upgrade my all in one 1.0 gh processor and 4 bit and 1 terabyte system windows 8 to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I upgrade my all in one 1.0 gh processor and 4 bit and 1 terabyte system windows 8 to...: I have an Acer Aspire Z all in one its capabilites are 4 and a tarabyte. its has a 1.90 gh processor. it runs windows 8.1 can i jump immeidiately to windows 11....