Windows 10: How do I upgrade small SSD to larger SSD for C drive?

Discus and support How do I upgrade small SSD to larger SSD for C drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I need to upgrade my C drive from 256GB to 1TB. (both are SSD) I want to use Macrium Reflect Free Edition. Can I just create a system image onto... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by orlando1974, Nov 28, 2017.

1. How do I upgrade small SSD to larger SSD for C drive?

Hi, I need to upgrade my C drive from 256GB to 1TB. (both are SSD)
    I want to use Macrium Reflect Free Edition.
    Can I just create a system image onto an external drive, swap the drives, and reboot to restore the 256GB image onto the new 1TB drive? (instead of having both drives connected at the same time)
    Also, do I need to check all current partitions or just the primary one as shown in the screenshot? (remember, I am going from SSD 256GB to SSD 1TB)

How do I upgrade small SSD to larger SSD for C drive? [​IMG]

:)

orlando1974, Nov 28, 2017

2. Expanding C drive partition

Hello. My SSD drive, where C is found, is too small now so I bought I larger SSD and cloned C. Now I need to expand the partition to take advantage of all that extra space on my new drive. How, please?

EdisonStewart, Nov 28, 2017
  3. Move Windows 10 from a small SSD to larger SSD

Very helpful, Andre. Thanks!

I'll post back after I get this to work.

Lee Batchelor, Nov 28, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

How do I upgrade small SSD to larger SSD for C drive?

Yes, image to an external drive, then restore to the new SSD, resizing the System (C*Smile partition in the process. When you do the restore, you might have to drag and drop each partition, and when you drag and drop the System (C*Smile partition is when you can resize it. Don't forget to leave room for the 450MB partition that will be behind it. You need to image and restore all of the partitions. You could probably leave the last 450MB partition off, though, if you wanted.

NavyLCDR, Nov 28, 2017
Thema:

How do I upgrade small SSD to larger SSD for C drive?

1. How do I upgrade small SSD to larger SSD for C drive? - Similar Threads - upgrade small SSD

2. How to clone ssd to a larger ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clone ssd to a larger ssd: I am trying to clone my OS and everything on my current ssd to a new ssd, but the software I tried using minitool wizard partition kept trying to get me to upgrade to a pro version even though I had a trial of it....
  3. How to clone ssd to a larger ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clone ssd to a larger ssd: I am trying to clone my OS and everything on my current ssd to a new ssd, but the software I tried using minitool wizard partition kept trying to get me to upgrade to a pro version even though I had a trial of it....
  4. How to clone SSD C drive to larger SSD D drive, then run Windows from the bigger drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to clone SSD C drive to larger SSD D drive, then run Windows from the bigger drive: We have a 512GB PCIe SSD as C drive running Windows 11 and a new empty 1TB SSD as D drive. We want to have the operating system be on the larger drive and become the system and boot drive - but we want the 1TB drive to become C drive after cloning. Then we will erase...
  5. How to clone SSD C drive to larger SSD D drive, then run Windows from the bigger drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clone SSD C drive to larger SSD D drive, then run Windows from the bigger drive: We have a 512GB PCIe SSD as C drive running Windows 11 and a new empty 1TB SSD as D drive. We want to have the operating system be on the larger drive and become the system and boot drive - but we want the 1TB drive to become C drive after cloning. Then we will erase...
  6. How to clone SSD C drive to larger SSD D drive, then run Windows from the bigger drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Migrating OS from a small SSD to a larger SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating OS from a small SSD to a larger SSD: I have purchased a larger SSD to replace the existing one that I am using for my OS. I have downloaded a couple of different kinds of software to handle this but I have some issues. For one which is called "Minitool Partition Wizard Free 11.6" there is an option to Migrate...
  8. Question Re Replacing M2 ssd C Drive With Larger ssd

Question Re Replacing M2 ssd C Drive With Larger ssd: I am replacing my ASUS GL552 laptops SSD C drive with a larger one and want to make sure I am doing it correctly I have made a macriun image of the old ssd that I will restore on the new replacement When I boot from the ASUS rescue thumb drive will the laptop start normally...
  9. Upgrade to larger ssd problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrade to larger ssd problem: I used Macrium Reflect to close my ssd boot drive. To test it I changed BIOS to look at usb drive first in boot order. But when it boots it fails. This is a new HP laptop. Is there something I need to do other than clone before it would boot? 100888
  10. How can I clone my small ssd to a larger ssd?

How can I clone my small ssd to a larger ssd?: I know that the answer is in tenforums somewhere, but I can't find it. I'm buying a 500GB SSD to replace my 120GB ssd and need to know how to clone the smaller ssd to the larger one. Is there a tutorial here? Thanks. 82865

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to upgrade to a larger SSD drive primary C drive

2. how to upgrade existing ssd c drive in pc with larger ssd

3. how to upgrade to bigger ssd c: drive

4. swap ssd drive for larger ssd,
  5. samsung 860 partition c drive is too small,
  6. drive c; ssd too small for installation,
  7. Upgrade boot drive with larger SSD,
  8. ssd drive replacement for larger ssd,
  9. go from small ssd to large ssd c drive,
  10. replace small ssd with larger ssd