Windows 10: How do I upgrade to W10 current release and Keep W7 on the same disk?

Discus and support How do I upgrade to W10 current release and Keep W7 on the same disk? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How do I upgrade from W7 to W10 current release and Keep W7 on the same disk? I have mini-partition wizard I have Macrum Reflect free image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by groze, Mar 24, 2015.

1. groze Win User

How do I upgrade to W10 current release and Keep W7 on the same disk?

How do I upgrade from W7 to W10 current release and Keep W7 on the same disk?

I have mini-partition wizard
    I have Macrum Reflect free image backup
    I also have access to Gparted.
    I am downloading the iso now.

I do know I have to restore the Windows mbr using the usb disk I create from the iso. Otherwise, it won't install with grub loaded. Here is a screen shot of mini-partition wizard.

How do I upgrade to W10 current release and Keep W7 on the same disk? [​IMG]

That last time I tried this, I couldn't get windows 7 to boot at all, it had a bunch of errors. I was able to switch partition to get back to windows 10. There was something I did wrong or windows 10 did wrong. I am thinking that Windows 10 was using windows 7 mbr and that why I couldn't loaded windows 7.

:)

groze, Mar 24, 2015
  2. xbxjunkie Win User

When the upgrade is released, will I upgrade to W10 Ultimate from Windows 7 Ultimate

Original Title: W7 ultimate to W10 question

Currently running W7 Ultimate on my laptop. When the upgrade is released, will I upgrade to W10 Ultimate, being I'm running an Ultimate version now?

xbxjunkie, Mar 24, 2015
  3. TomF37380 Win User
    replace recovery partition on upgraded desktop

My HP desktop came originally with W7, which I upgraded to W8.1, then W10. My understanding is that the recovery partition on that computer (on DHow do I upgrade to W10 current release and Keep W7 on the same disk? :) is still at the W7 level. How do I replace that, so I can recover to W10 if I have a problem? And can I
    recover to the then-current level of W10 (including apps, settings, and files), or will I go back to a basic W10 level?

TomF37380, Mar 24, 2015
  4. How do I upgrade to W10 current release and Keep W7 on the same disk?

When you install Win10 on the same physical drive as Win7 or Win8, it will overwrite the boot loader info to replace the earlier stuff with Win10 stuff -- at least, that's what has happened in my cases. You might be able to create a Win7 Repair CD using the Backup function in Win7 -- but there is the possibility that it's going to create that CD from the boot loader files that have already been replaced.

Mark Phelps, Mar 24, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    Did you try to create a new partition and install Win10 on that?? It worked for me.

BunnyJ, Mar 24, 2015
  6. badrobot Win User
    You are trying to triple boot. It's doable but it won't be a walk in the park. Yours is more of a Linux forum topic and not windows. If that linux isn't there, it will be easier.

badrobot, Mar 24, 2015
  7. groze Win User
    I haven't install windows 10 yet.

Here is what I did that last time. (Some steps may be missing or not complete)
    Windows 7 boot disk, restore the windows 7 boot manager
    Ran mini-partition wizard. Deleted the Linux swap partition, so windows won't have a cow in seeing over four partitions and so I could reboot or partition wizard could reboot if needed.
    Shrunk the partition to around 30 gigs
    rebooted
    Copied the partition to the empty space
    moved 2nd partition, so the 2nd primary partition would be around 100 gb
    Created the Linux swap partition back.
    Resized the windows 7 partition back using windows disk manager
    switched to 2nd primary partition and upgrade windows 7 copy to windows 10,
    Windows 10 installed and was working,
    Windows 7 was still installed but not working.
    I re-installed grub, that still didn't fix the issue.

If I am understanding you correctly,

I need to do this before I install windows 10.
    bootrec /fixboot using the windows 7 rescue cd
    bootrec /fixmbr

Then after windows 10 install,
    Run the windows 10 installation again
    I think hit shift+f10 when the install dialog pops up.
    the do
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr

That should restore the windows 10.

Now reboot using the windows 7 disk
    Activate the windows 7 partition and then do
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr

Please, correct me if there is a better way.

groze, Mar 24, 2015
  8. groze Win User

Yes, bunnyj that works but what I want to do is an upgrade but at the sametime keep windows 7. I just wanted to test all my software I have installed.

@Brink
    Am I allowed to link to this thread over at pchelpforums? Should I ask there?

groze, Mar 24, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    @groze,

Of course. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I upgrade to W10 current release and Keep W7 on the same disk? - Similar Threads - upgrade W10 current

2. Upgrading from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  3. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  4. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  5. BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade

BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade: I'm looking to help someone upgrade a fairly new desktop PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the MCT method. When we installed Windows 7 on this machine I recall going into the UEFI BIOS and changing the Boot > Safe Boot > OS Type setting from the default "Windows UEFI...
  6. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  7. Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?: I don't want to update to W10 yet and I have read that I cannot keep my current W7 installation along with a free upgraded a W10 from the same W7 key. So, if I do the free upgrade from W7 to W10 and then go back to W7, will I keep the free upgrade on this PC if I install W10...
  8. Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade

Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade: I'm trying to do an upgrade, but it keeps on stopping on this error: 0xC1900101-0x4000D. Can someone point me to a solution? 26379
  9. VIDEO: Upgrading W7 to W10 9926 (and rolled back to W7)

VIDEO: Upgrading W7 to W10 9926 (and rolled back to W7): For those who are thinking about upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10, here's how I did it. I upgraded WIn 7 to Win 10 and then I rolled it back to Win 7 again. Warning: 16mins video from start to finish (you can fast forward at will). Total upgrade and rollback time is about...
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...