Windows 10: How do I use all my 8gb ram?

Discus and support How do I use all my 8gb ram? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have 8gb ram memory. System info shows it all. Performance monitor shows that I use up to about 3.5gb, but never more. Is that normal? 62669 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pjh, Sep 4, 2016.

1. PJH
    Pjh Win User

How do I use all my 8gb ram?

I have 8gb ram memory. System info shows it all. Performance monitor shows that I use up to about 3.5gb, but never more. Is that normal?

:)

2. AdamK Win User

I don't want to use this -- how do I remove all my information from the website?

I tried the MyPhone beta, but I don't want to use it. I removed the association from my phone, and uninstalled the software there.

However, I still have an account on the website. I would like to remove all the information stored there and no longer have an account.

How do I do this?

AdamK, Sep 4, 2016
  3. Venomrush Win User
    I don't want to use this -- how do I remove all my information from the website?

Delete all the items on the website.

Then navigate to Deleted items and click 'Permanently delete all'

That's to remove all your personal data on the Web Portal.

To close your Live account.

Navigate to Sign in to your Microsoft account login and follow the steps to close the account.

Venomrush, Sep 4, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

It sounds as if you have 32bit version of Windows installed which can only access 4GB (less a bit for hardware).

Can you check on Settings > System > About - it will tell you under "System Type" if you have 32 or 64 bit operating system installed.

If it is 32 bit then you'll need to clean install 64 bit.

lx07, Sep 4, 2016
  5. PJH
    Pjh Win User
    Good thought, but no. About reports installed RAM as 8gb and System type as 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor.

6. Grizzly Win User
    My Laptop has 4GB of RAM on a 64bit system but uses only 3.37GB (its an older Laptop). Even though the mainboard may support the full memory, using it is a different story. I have not figured it out yet why....

Grizzly, Sep 4, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    If you open loads of tabs on your browser what do you have here on task manager and resource monitor?

I have 8GB also and just opened about 20 tabs in edge (do have one VM running as well).

How do I use all my 8gb ram? [​IMG]

Are you still stuck at 3.5GB?

lx07, Sep 4, 2016
  8. PJH
    Pjh Win User

Ahah! No, it creeps up over 4.7GB 57%. So I guess nothing else I'm doing needs the extra ram.

9. lx07 Win User
    So perhaps not a problem?

lx07, Sep 4, 2016
  10. Winuser Win User
    I think your OK. When I checked my computer with two programs running plus any background processes I'm only using 3.8 GBs out of 12 GBs.

Winuser, Sep 4, 2016
  11. LMiller7 Win User
    Post a screenshot of Task Manager - Performance tab showing memory information. But I doubt you have a problem.

The "In use" value doesn't tell you of all memory being used. The screenshot in post #5 shows "In use" memory as 5410 MB, standby as memory as 2517 MB and only 9 MB free (a very good value). This is typical of a system under moderate use. That 2517 MB in standby contains system and application code and data and acts as a kind of cache. This is a major contributor to good performance. In this case only 9 MB memory is actually unused. Total memory usage, unlike "In use", is actually approaching 99.9% which is very good indeed. A low value for free memory is a good thing. The optimum would be 0 at all times but that is currently not achievable.

If "In use" memory were to go much beyond that in the screenshot performance would suffer. If the system had been recently started free memory would be much higher. That is unavoidable. You can't cache data until it is first accessed. In time, depending on how heavily the system is used, the free value will drop to lower levels.

Memory management in any modern OS is VERY complex and not easily understood. Most of the time it works very well. Most apparent problems are only that and due to lack of understanding of how things work.

LMiller7, Sep 4, 2016
  12. PJH
    Pjh Win User
    Thank you all. I understand much better now. Thanks especially to L Miller 7 for a very helpful and clear explanation.

13. lx07 Win User

Well, actually you can. If you know that certain things are often used you can keep a list of them and force them into memory on the assumption that what you'll use this time you boot will be similar to what you used last time.

This is what the Windows process SuperFetch does (and why it is counterproductive to disable it).

14. LMiller7 Win User
    I am quite familiar with Superfetch and how it works. I made a general statement to make a point. And Superfetch does have to access the data in question.

LMiller7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I use all my 8gb ram? - Similar Threads - 8gb ram

2. Can run WSA on 8GB ram, i3 processor and 320GB HDD ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can run WSA on 8GB ram, i3 processor and 320GB HDD ?: i3 processor, 8GB ram and 320GB HDD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-run-wsa-on-8gb-ram-i3-processor-and-320gb-hdd/82ac7295-9df1-498b-aa0e-50db3c7d1cd1
  3. Can run WSA on 8GB ram, i3 processor and 320GB HDD ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can run WSA on 8GB ram, i3 processor and 320GB HDD ?: i3 processor, 8GB ram and 320GB HDD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-run-wsa-on-8gb-ram-i3-processor-and-320gb-hdd/82ac7295-9df1-498b-aa0e-50db3c7d1cd1
  4. High idle ram usage 8gb using 60%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High idle ram usage 8gb using 60%: ive had my laptop for about a year now played only minecraft all of a sudden i keep running out of ram whatever tf i do im idle at 60% usage right as i restart my computer im pissed i tried everything background process that consume most are windows defender got virtual...
  5. High idle ram usage 8gb using 60%

High idle ram usage 8gb using 60%: ive had my laptop for about a year now played only minecraft all of a sudden i keep running out of ram whatever tf i do im idle at 60% usage right as i restart my computer im pissed i tried everything background process that consume most are windows defender got virtual...
  6. High idle ram usage 8gb using 60%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Command prompt states 8gb ram max only , while motherboard specs says 16gb max

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Command prompt states 8gb ram max only , while motherboard specs says 16gb max: So I have a windows 7 home basic activated.....and upgraded it to windows 10 home using the media creation tool.....after everything is done, everything went well....also the windows 10 home I installed is automatically activated idk why...so for that I think ram limit is now...
  8. Command prompt states 8gb ram max only , while motherboard specs says 16gb max

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command prompt states 8gb ram max only , while motherboard specs says 16gb max: So I have a windows 7 home basic activated.....and upgraded it to windows 10 home using the media creation tool.....after everything is done, everything went well....also the windows 10 home I installed is automatically activated idk why...so for that I think ram limit is now...
  9. Command prompt states 8gb ram max only , while motherboard specs says 16gb max

10. why this option is not shwoing what to do my pc specs i5 5th gen 500gb hard disk 8gb ram...

in Windows 10 Customization
    why this option is not shwoing what to do my pc specs i5 5th gen 500gb hard disk 8gb ram...: what to do pls help i want for new win 10 copoillot feature https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-this-option-is-not-shwoing-what-to-do-my-pc/5a312ad1-559f-440a-beb4-ba53c1ec9e94

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i use 8gb ram

2. how to use all 8gb of memory

3. using all 8gb of ram

4. how to use all ram 8gb ram