Windows 10: How do I utilize OneDrive for freeing up storage space?

Discus and support How do I utilize OneDrive for freeing up storage space? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a lot of photos on Dropbox and wanted to switch them over to OneDrive, as my Dropbox was full and I have unlimited OneDrive space so I may as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Abc123, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Abc123 Win User

How do I utilize OneDrive for freeing up storage space?

I have a lot of photos on Dropbox and wanted to switch them over to OneDrive, as my Dropbox was full and I have unlimited OneDrive space so I may as well utilize it, but after moving everything over, all the photos are showing up in the OneDrive folder in Windows Explorer. The folder is taking up the same amount of space as what I had saved to Dropbox. What is the point of OneDrive cloud space if I have to download everything to my desktop anyway? Please help, there has to be something I'm missing

:)

Abc123, Nov 5, 2015

2. [Q] How to delete camera roll all at once in Windows 10 Mobile?

Microsoft really leave a big black hole at managing OneDrive space vs. local phone storage. I'm losing hours trying to find out how to free local space WITHOUT losing my photo's on OneDrive. I've ended up deleting photos from OneDrive, including deleting
    them from the Recycle Bin on OneDrive. The photos finally disappear from my phone, but free storage space isn't going up. The storage setting for photos is This Device. I need to clear space on my device for the system update. Please help.

Siem Eikelenboom, Nov 5, 2015
  3. Windows,

How should a pc with two Hard drives be set up to use one of the Drives for windows and the other for Storage for a home Media storage. Would this be a good alternative to OneDrive due to the recent decrease in free OneDrive Storage. My office subscription
    expires soon and not sure where to go with my files.

KeithSimpsonRR, Nov 5, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Once everything is uploaded to OneDrive you can right click on the onedrive icon in your taskbar and select "settings". Open the "Account" tab then "choose folders" and deselect the folders you want only in the cloud. This will delete them from your PC but leave them on OneDrive.

How do I utilize OneDrive for freeing up storage space? [​IMG]

It would probably be a good idea to make a local copy also.

See this though regarding unlimited storage... MS Downgrades free Onedrive storage, ends unlimited for Office 365 - Windows 10 Forums

lx07, Nov 5, 2015
  5. Kari Win User
    Right click the OneDrive icon in notification area, select Settings:

Select the Account tab, click Choose folders:

Unselect Sync all files and folders in my OneDrive, then manually select only those folders you want to keep synced under Sync these folders only. Leave all unselected if you do not want any of the OneDrive content being synced to your local computer:

Kari, Nov 5, 2015
  6. Abc123 Win User
    Thanks guys!!!

What would happen if I chose "unlink onedrive"? Could I not then use onedrive from my browser like a separate entity?

Abc123, Nov 5, 2015
  7. Kari Win User
    Exactly the opposite: you could then use OneDrive only from browser. If you are sure you will never sync your files to local PC, this is a good option.

Kari, Nov 5, 2015
  8. Abc123 Win User

Great, this is what I will do, thanks so much

Abc123, Nov 5, 2015
  9. pparks1 Win User
    The point is two fold.

First, you end up with a second copy of your data, one on your computer and one in the cloud. So, its like a backup.

Second, having the second copy locally means that you can edit files and such even when you are not online.

In your case, if saving space is what you need, then doing what is suggested above is the right way to accomplish that task.

pparks1, Nov 5, 2015
  10. topgundcp Win User
    This is exactly what I did. So might as well disable onedrive from Startup in your PC: one less process to run a startup.

topgundcp, Nov 5, 2015
  11. Abc123 Win User
    Good idea, thanks a lot

Abc123, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I utilize OneDrive for freeing up storage space? - Similar Threads - utilize OneDrive freeing

2. free up space in onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    free up space in onedrive: OneDrive is using up most of the storage on my HDD and I'd like to change that. I've already done "free up space" in the OneDrive app and that didn't do anything. I uninstalled the OneDrive app, but it still left the OneDrive folder on the pc and I no longer had the OneDrive...
  3. free up space in onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    free up space in onedrive: OneDrive is using up most of the storage on my HDD and I'd like to change that. I've already done "free up space" in the OneDrive app and that didn't do anything. I uninstalled the OneDrive app, but it still left the OneDrive folder on the pc and I no longer had the OneDrive...
  4. How do I free up Space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I free up Space?: Back then I downloaded steam and filled up my C drive. I tried YouTube tutorials on how to free up space but it only freed up 200MB, please help me free up space especially on my C drive.And about steam, I deleted it through control panel, reinstalled it, and did not occupy...
  5. Onedrive and Free up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive and Free up space: Hello,Using Onedrive to back up folders on my W10 desktop.In order not to double up storage usage on my desktop, I am right clicking on the Onedrive folders and selecting Free up space which then grays out that option.But the next day when I go back to those folders, the Free...
  6. How can I free up storage space?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I free up storage space?: Hi, I am trying to free up some storage space, and when I view the properties of my users folder it says (after counting all the files for some seconds) that the size on disk is 202GB. When I go into the folder, adding up the size of each folder within the users folder gives...
  7. Free up storage space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Free up storage space: Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place, but I just wasn't sure where else to put this. My laptop has barely any storage space left, and that's because 174 gigabytes of it are being used by apps. The problem is, I don't have many apps with large sizes, I just have tons of apps...
  8. Onedrive Free up space

Onedrive Free up space: Hi I wanted to Free up laptop space so I selected my Photos folder onedrive and hit free up. PC grinds away and hey presto blue cloud next to all my photo folders, Job done. However....About an hour later I get a notification saying I had deleted a large number of files...
  9. how do I free up space?

how do I free up space?: I need to free up space, I've inserted a 64GB SD card but don't know what to do now https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-free-up-space/88ef11e4-00c1-413e-b55e-70076bc46680
  10. Effective Onedrive free storage space

Effective Onedrive free storage space: I understand that each Onedrive account has free 5 g storage space. For each file stored in Onedrive, when editing is done, Onedrive will create a "File History" for that file. Also, if a file is deleted, it will go to the "Recycle bin" My question is that would the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to utilize all camera roll storage on onedrive