Windows 10: How do I search for dedicated folders and speedup the search engine

Discus and support How do I search for dedicated folders and speedup the search engine in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; a) search for dedicated folders e.g. music folders using explorer. b)speed up the awful win 10 search engine so I do not have to look at an expanding... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by meditek, Oct 13, 2019.

1. meditek Win User

How do I search for dedicated folders and speedup the search engine

a) search for dedicated folders e.g. music folders using explorer.

b)speed up the awful win 10 search engine so I do not have to look at an expanding ribbon for what seems ages.

Thank you, I very much hope I will not be directed to starting windows with a clean boot and all the other rubbish that accompanies many 'answers' to questions here. I have been programming using the Windows OS since the 1980's and have tried all these lame suggestions which simply delay providing an effective solution. Simply can it be done or not?

:)

meditek, Oct 13, 2019
  2. LCRT Win User

search engine

windows xp advice for a windows 10 query. with registry fiddling. great advice.

anyway, the answer is very simple:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-the-default-search-engine-in-microsoft-edge

"

When you enter something in the address bar in Microsoft Edge, you’ll see results from Bing. Microsoft recommends Bing for the best performance with Windows 10. Bing gives instant help for Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge (just like this). And Bing links search
    results with some Windows 10 apps. But Microsoft Edge uses OpenSearch technology, so you can change the default search engine. Here’s how:

• Enter the search engine’s website and browse to it.

• Select More actions (...) > Settings and then scroll down to select View
      advanced settings. In the list under Search in the address bar with, choose Add new.

• Select the website and then select Add as default.

• Note: Only search providers that support the OpenSearch standard will appear in this list. If they don’t support it yet,here's how
        they can."

3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. How do I search for dedicated folders and speedup the search engine

Set Default Search Engine in Google Chrome Search Engine Settings

How to Change Default Search Engine in Google Chrome in Windows

In Google Chrome, you can use the address bar (omnibox) as a search box. It automatically uses Google by default, but you can set another default search engine instead.

The search box on the New Tab page in Google Chrome will also use what you set as the default search engine.

This tutorial will show you how to set a default search engine you want to use in Google Chrome for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Set Default Search Engine in Google Chrome Search Engine Settings
    • Option Two: Set Default Search Engine in Google Chrome Manage Search Engines Settings

How do I search for dedicated folders and speedup the search engine [​IMG]
    OPTION ONE
    Set Default Search Engine in Google Chrome Search Engine Settings
    1. Open Google Chrome.
    2. Click/tap on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3 dots) button
    , and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. In the Search engine section, select the search engine (ex: "Google") you want to use in the Search engine used in the address bar drop down menu. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close the Settings tab if you like.

OPTION TWO
    Set Default Search Engine in Google Chrome Manage Search Engines Settings
    1. Open Google Chrome.
    2. Click/tap on the Customize and control Google Chrome (3 dots) button
    , and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

*note If you like, you can copy and paste chrome://settings/searchEngines into the address bar and press Enter to go directly to the Manage search engines settings page in step 3 below.

3. In the Search engine section, click/tap on Manage search engines. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now perform the following actions you want to set your default search engine: (see screenshots below)
    A) Under Default search engines,
    • Click/tap on the More actions button
      . to the right of the search engine (ex: "Bing") you want to use, and click/tap on Make default.
    OR

B) Under Other search engines,
    • Add: To the right of "Other search engines," click/tap on the Add button. Fill out the text fields and click/tap on Add.
    • Set as default: To the right of the search engine, click/tap on the More actions button
      , and click/tap on Make default.
    • Edit: To the right of the search engine, click/tap on the More actions button
      , click/tap on Edit, edit the text fields, and click/tap on Save.
    • Delete: To the right of the search engine, click/tap on the More actions button
      , and click/tap on Remove from list.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

How do I search for dedicated folders and speedup the search engine

1. How do I search for dedicated folders and speedup the search engine - Similar Threads - search dedicated folders

2. How do I change the search engine of the search bar to a different thing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the search engine of the search bar to a different thing: I use google as my browser, as I have been using it for a long time and feels normal. how do I make it so that the search boxpicture below opens the search in google chrome, or a different appI don't just mean change the default browser of edgeI am on windows 11...
  3. How do I change the search engine of the search bar to a different thing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the search engine of the search bar to a different thing: I use google as my browser, as I have been using it for a long time and feels normal. how do I make it so that the search boxpicture below opens the search in google chrome, or a different appI don't just mean change the default browser of edgeI am on windows 11...
  4. search engine

in Cortana
    search engine: pretty interesting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-engine/b4e24788-6491-449b-9baa-ff6b35bd2bc2
  5. How do I remove Yahoo, as search engine?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I remove Yahoo, as search engine?: Since i did a reinstall, yahoo has popped up, not by choice as my search engine and I want to remove it. I have trid recommendations and removed under settings but it reappears. . I use Window 10 Pro, with edge as browswer & all security and intelligence up to date. I...
  6. search engine

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    search engine: google search was replaced by yahoo search, how to restore google search? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-engine/3b31887b-e6d9-4320-9337-54dae9602e63
  7. Search Engines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Engines: All my 'pc' life I have used Google but recently have been observing some disturbing trends with them; both political and privacy. Finally, I decided to try another and did a 'google' search for a good unbiased search engine with privacy (alleged). I am trialing duckduckgo on...
  8. search engines

in Browsers and Email
    search engines: Here lately, search engines are not doing what they are designed to do. AS an example ,if I type in something like, “how to clean old furniture’ instead of taking me to links that gives information I want, they take me to links for other search engines that will do the same...
  9. search engine worthless or how do i use it

in Windows 10 Support
    search engine worthless or how do i use it: i keep loosing files while moving them and i cant find them with the search engine ive just lost several thousand photos and dont know what to do 94654
  10. Search Engine

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Engine: How to add a chrome search engine 78340