Windows 10: How do make programs run at startup on standard user account?

Discus and support How do make programs run at startup on standard user account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Sent you a pm. Let us know if it works. Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Callender, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Callender Win User

How do make programs run at startup on standard user account?

Sent you a pm. Let us know if it works.

Callender, Apr 5, 2018
  2. raava Win User

So, I use standard windows account as my main one and invoke admin account only when needed. This works great as I don't need admin rights for the majority of the stuff I do on my rig (gaming, listening to music, web browsing, etc)..however the problem is two of the programs I've installed recently won't startup with Windows when I'm logged in as a standard user. (They startup fine when I'm logged in as admin.)

I added the shortcuts to Shell:startup under standard user but no joy. Is there anyway to get this working?

Thank you.

:)

raava, Apr 30, 2018
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Running Programs for a standard user

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Right Click on the FL studio application shortcut.

• Select properties.

• Under shortcuts select advanced.

• Check the box Run as administrator and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Apr 30, 2018
  4. Joe9090 Win User

Running Programs for a standard user

Last Christmas I had purchased a Windows 10 laptop for my teenage niece , through experience I realized that it was not wise to set her up as an administrator which could potentially allow her to install viruses/malware/adware/spyware

So I created for her a standard account with Teamviewer and a local Admin account so that I can install programs for her , remotely on the fly should she wish . I have since installed several programs one including a DJ software known as FL studio (Fruityloops
    ) . The challenge now however is that every-time she's logged on as a standard user and clicks on the FL Studio application shortcut , windows annoyingly prompts my niece to enter Admin credentials to run the program

My Question is , how can I set up or change the machine so that my niece who is set up as a 'standard user' can run programs without having to know admin credentials

I do not see the logic in blocking a harmless program run under a standard user account

I assumed this would be a simple change to UAC , though I have not been able to run the FL studio as a standard user - Very annoying

Joe9090, Apr 30, 2018
  5. essenbe Win User
    Hello Raava and welcome to the Forums. Have you tried shell:common startup ? That should open them for all users.

I believe it is located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

essenbe, May 1, 2018
  6. raava Win User
    Hello essenbe,

Thanks for the reply.
    I've just tried that and it didn't work -- they still didn't startup with Windows.

I've just had a thought..is there a way to set them to be run as admin but in standard account durning startup??

raava, May 1, 2018
  7. essenbe Win User
    I really can't answer that. But, are the programs in shell:common startup selected for startup in Task Manager and are they shortcuts directly from the exe? Right click the programs and select open file location. Keep doing that until you find the .exe file, then send that as a shortcut. Many programs will have shortcuts to shortcuts, and some will not work on startup.

essenbe, May 1, 2018
  8. essenbe Win User

essenbe, May 1, 2018
  9. raava Win User
    Yes to both. In Standard account -> Task Manager -> Start-up, they're shown as Not measured probably because they've not been able to run.

I've just had a quick look and I think I may need to use the Task Scheduler in this case...was trying to avoid that (since I know little about it and was hoping for a simpler approach..) but I'll give that a go once I'm back from work and report back.

Thanks for the info.

raava, May 1, 2018
Thema:

1. How do make programs run at startup on standard user account? - Similar Threads - programs run startup

2. How to allow Standard User local account to Install Programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to allow Standard User local account to Install Programs: I have Win 11 set up with a Standard User Account local without admin privileges for day to day operations. I don't want anyone with admin privileges doing day to day work for safety reasons. What is the best way to give the Standard User temporary access to an admin password...
  3. How to allow Standard User local account to Install Programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to allow Standard User local account to Install Programs: I have Win 11 set up with a Standard User Account local without admin privileges for day to day operations. I don't want anyone with admin privileges doing day to day work for safety reasons. What is the best way to give the Standard User temporary access to an admin password...
  4. How to install programs on a standard user?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to install programs on a standard user?: I was always using admin account but I've heard that it's not a recommended way to use system for security reasons. So I did a fresh Windows 10 install and created an additional standard user. And I encounter many problems: Some programs that I install on a standard user,...
  5. How do I force a program to run as admin, on a standard user account, without a prompt,...

How do I force a program to run as admin, on a standard user account, without a prompt,...: Basically I want a program to always run as admin, but I want to do this without triggering the password prompt. I want to avoid using /savecred because as I understand it, this would allow a user to use that power on any program. I need it isolated to the specific programs I...
  6. How do I find this program that's running on startup?

How do I find this program that's running on startup?: I found this on startup, but I don't remember installing it. https://i.imgur.com/D353XMO.png I'd like to uninstall it, but it doesn't show up on programs and I can't find its location. I could disable it on startup, but I want to know where it is so I can uninstall....
  7. Run Administrator Programs in Startup of Standard User

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Run Administrator Programs in Startup of Standard User: I have both an administrator and standard account on my laptop. I use the standard account for every general task and do not use the administrator account unless absolutely needed. There are two pieces of software I want to run at startup every time either my standard account...
  8. Cannot make a program to run at startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot make a program to run at startup: I've used a program called Startup Manager to manually create an entry for this program called speedfan [img] It also appears in the startup tab on Task Manager [img] But I doesn't work. The program default behavior is to open minimized as an icon in tray (it works...
  9. Cannot make a program to run at startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot make a program to run at startup: I've used a program called Startup Manager to manually create an entry for this program called speedfan [img] It also appears in the startup tab on Task Manager [img] But I doesn't work. The program default behavior is to open minimized as an icon in tray (it works...
  10. How do make programs run at startup on standard user account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do make programs run at startup on standard user account?: So, I use standard windows account as my main one and invoke admin account only when needed. This works great as I don't need admin rights for the majority of the stuff I do on my rig (gaming, listening to music, web browsing, etc)..however the problem is two of the programs...