Windows 10: how do we switch users without signing out?

Discus and support how do we switch users without signing out? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; We’ve had trouble switching between 2 users. We never had a “switch users” option. We would click on the icon for the other user and at first it... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by jicecube, Oct 12, 2017.

1. jicecube Win User

how do we switch users without signing out?

We’ve had trouble switching between 2 users. We never had a “switch users” option. We would click on the icon for the other user and at first it worked. Then it started locking up the computer and the only way we could switch was to sign out and the other user sign in. Now it doesn’t even show the second user if the first user hasn’t signed out.

:)

jicecube, Oct 12, 2017
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 12, 2017
  3. icedace Win User
    how to switch user without to sign in

hello,

I am searching how to switch user without to sign in windows 10

is there a solution for it?

thx.

icedace, Oct 12, 2017
  4. how do we switch users without signing out?

Hi jicecube. Welcome to the TenForums @jicecube

What version and build of 10 are you on?

Windows Key + R, type winver, enter.

Are you experiencing any other issues? Have you run sfc /scannow and is it reporting clean?

When you are on the desktop of the user currently signed in if you press ALT + F4 are you presented a menu and does that menu contain "Switch Users"?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 12, 2017
  5. jicecube Win User
    1703 OS Build 15063.674

don't know about sfc /scannow - can try
    menu I get from ALT+F4 on desktop only has options - sign out, sleep, restart

jicecube, Oct 12, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    You could try Classic Shell, written by a forum member, which tweaks Start Menu and file explorer settings to mimic past Windows OS's. - Classic Shell: Downloads
    Here's my Start Menu -

how do we switch users without signing out? [​IMG]

mrgeek, Oct 12, 2017
  7. jicecube Win User
    when try the sfc /scannow I get "another servicing or repair operation is currently running. Wait for this to finish and run sfc again. ???

jicecube, Oct 12, 2017
  8. davidhk Win User

Press Ctrl + ALT + Del keys > you will see Switch User option there.
    Something like below :

*Arrow Switch User in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

how do we switch users without signing out? [​IMG]

davidhk, Oct 12, 2017
  9. jicecube Win User
    I think I've fixed it - I went in and found the "hide fast user key" and changed it from 1 to 0. Now "switch user" appears when I Press Ctrl + ALT + Del keys. Also now when I click on my icon with the Windows key it now shows the name of the other user and I seem to be able to switch between users. Thanks for everyone's help. If I run into problems again I'll be back, but hopefully this solved this issuer.

jicecube, Oct 12, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    If this is Pro there's a group policy that sets that key, perhaps you accidentally set it? If it's Home I can't imagine how it got set, but you found the right key by the sounds of it.

Enable or Disable Fast User Switching in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

11. Great you can switch users but did SFC "another servicing or repair operation is currently running" get resolved?

12. jicecube Win User
    Thanks for the reminder on that Ken! Not sure what happened the first time, but I was able to start the scan which just competed successfully with the message "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Hopefully I'm good to go now! *Smile

jicecube, Oct 12, 2017
  13. how do we switch users without signing out?

You are.

May I suggest you look into Macrium Reflect. It provides you with the ability to take Images of your machine or just the bits to run Windows. Can be a real life saver when something mysterious happens.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Ken

14. jicecube Win User
    Well my change to undo the Hide Fast User Key doesn't stay. It appeared fixed, I could switch users, then it disappeared again. Here is what I did (and I've done it several times since but it keeps going back to the "1" setting from the "0" setting that I set it to):
    windows key+R
    enter "regedit" & press okay
    in popup User Account Control I choose "yes"
    I get to:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    then find "HideFastUserSwitching" and right click and select "Modify" and changed the "1" to "0"
    After doing that when I click on the Windows key and my icon I have the options:
    Change Account Settings
    Lock
    Sign Out

After awhile it reverts back to just the top options with the second user name gone. This is frustrating. Suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!

jicecube, Oct 15, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 15, 2017
Thema:

1. how do we switch users without signing out? - Similar Threads - switch users without

2. Remove Switch User & Sign Out Options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove Switch User & Sign Out Options: How do I remove the Switch User and the Sign Out options when i press Alt + F4 on windows 11?Every time there is an update it removes Shut Down as the default option and changes it to one of these other options. This is my personal pc, i live alone and don't have any other...
  3. Remove Switch User & Sign Out Options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove Switch User & Sign Out Options: How do I remove the Switch User and the Sign Out options when i press Alt + F4 on windows 11?Every time there is an update it removes Shut Down as the default option and changes it to one of these other options. This is my personal pc, i live alone and don't have any other...
  4. User sign out/sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User sign out/sign in: Do i need to sign out every time from one user to another? What if i keep both of them signed in? I need to sign out,only if the computer is running slow because both of em are using ram?...
  5. User sign out/sign in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User sign out/sign in: Do i need to sign out every time from one user to another? What if i keep both of them signed in? I need to sign out,only if the computer is running slow because both of em are using ram?...
  6. Black screen whenever i sign out or switch users

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen whenever i sign out or switch users: My dell device running windows 10 64 bit is having some newly discovered weird issue after a clean install, whenever i sign out or switch users i would get a black screen without cursor, no keyboard shortcuts seem to be working not even alt+ctrl+del. The only way out is...
  7. Unable to switch user without signing out Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to switch user without signing out Windows 10 Pro: Hello, Recently I upgraded one of our Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro by using Windows Media Creation Tool. Everything works perfectly but when I want to switch users, I select the Switch User option, but instead of switching, the system completely logs the current user...
  8. Switching out of Windows S mode without signing into the store

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching out of Windows S mode without signing into the store: Current build is 1903. I'm setting up a customer's machine and I'm trying to switch it out of S mode. The store is asking me to sign in to do so. Is there a way around this? I don't want to have an account of mine tied to this machine at all. submitted by...
  9. how to switch user without logging out?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    how to switch user without logging out?: how to switch user without logging out? I remember windows used to allow you to remain logged in while switching accounts now there is no switch user option....
  10. Fast user switching signs me out

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Fast user switching signs me out: I have 3 local user accounts. When I try to switch between them, my apps are closed and I get signed out. I've tried the 6 different methods in this tutorial The Switch User option does not appear in the option list in response to Ctrl+Alt+Del. It does appear in the list...