Windows 10: How do you create recovery media for Windows 10?

Discus and support How do you create recovery media for Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I originally purchased Windows 8 and upgraded to 8.1. I installed the Windows 10 upgrade via the downloadable Windows 10 Installation Tool and burning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by 13rennon, Jul 31, 2015.

1. 13rennon Win User

How do you create recovery media for Windows 10?

I originally purchased Windows 8 and upgraded to 8.1. I installed the Windows 10 upgrade via the downloadable Windows 10 Installation Tool and burning the ISO to a DVD. I understand that this will work to upgrade my system should I need to recover but will this still work after the 1 year free upgrade period? Also, can anyone confirm if the ISO downloaded via the Installation Tool will work as a repair disk to recover using a system image? If that's the case I would be content with that, as it's how I've always done backups since Windows 7.

:)

13rennon, Jul 31, 2015

2. How do you create a recovery USB?

We are volunteers willing to help you try to resolve this issue. I am Rob, a 10 time and dual award MVP specializing in Windows troubleshooting and Bluescreen analysis.

Try running StartUp Repair from a Windows 10 boot disk or USB drive.

That often will work when running from the recovery environment does

not. You can try Option 5 here and run StartUp Repair to see if it helps.

You would need to make a bootable USB or DVD using the Media Creation Tool - see methods below.

How to Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advance...

How to Run Startup Repair in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/27649-startu...

You can make a Windows 10 Install disk and try to use it to repair the present installation.

Make a Windows 10 Disk using the Media Creation Tool - select to install on another computer and the same version you have now. You can make a USB or DVD to boot with. Select Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Automatic Repair.

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - create media then

boot with it - use method I outlined above.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m...

OR

How to Prepare Bootable Install Media for Windows 10 - DVD, USB or SD Card

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

OR use this method :

How to Create a USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4200-recover...

How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair...

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Di888 Win User
    How do you create a recovery USB?

My PC will no longer boot up after a Windows 10 automated update, so I think I need a Windows 10 recovery media, preferably USB. How does one create this, or can it be purchased? Thanks.

Di888, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Rennon, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Yes, you will still be able to use the method in the tutorial below to download a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft to use to reinstall Windows 10 with anytime.

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/download-windows-10-iso-file.1980/

The July 29th 2016 deadline was just to reserve or claim your free upgrade offer. After that date, you won't be able to get another free copy, but any that you have already claimed will always work.

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade?

Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

You do not get a product key with the free upgrade of Windows 10.

The activation for the free offer of Windows 10 is registered on the Microsoft activation servers, and is referenced by the hardware (motherboard/CPU/graphics card serial numbers) of the PC it was upgraded on.

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  5. 13rennon Win User
    That's the exact steps I used to upgrade. My concern is that to do a fresh install on a new hdd will require a license key and the windows 8 key I have will not work. I have already confirmed this by attempting a clean install on a formatted hdd. The only way to install is to install windows 8 with your key then run all updates and then perform the upgrade again. I'm looking to bypass the install of window 8 completely for fear that after 1 year the upgrade process will not activate. Microsofts version of a clean install in this instance appears to be running an upgrade that throws everything into windows.old and auto deletes after 30 days. A clean install to me is just installing windows 10 without having to jump through hoops of installing an entire operating system first.

13rennon, Jul 31, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you upgraded to the free 10 on your activated 8.1 PC, then you should be able to do the clean install on the new drive.

If you changed the motherboard or graphics card, then it may not activate.

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  7. 13rennon Win User
    So you're saying that during a clean install on a new drive, I can skip the license key and it will still activate by searching somewhere in Microsoft's database for a previous activation that has one of my hardware MAC addresses? (Or at least something similar?) How else are you supposed to get a valid activation without entering a Windows 10 key when the Windows 8 key does not work?

Thanks for the help, and pardon my ignorance.

13rennon, Jul 31, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Correct. You would "skip" entering the key during installation. As long as it's on the same PC, it should activate eventually.

You won't be able to activate 10 with an 8 key.

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  9. 13rennon Win User
    I'll take your word for it. I just hope a year from now I don't regret going with an update instead of buying a key like I normally do. I've always got my system images as back up though.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I appreciate it.

13rennon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do you create recovery media for Windows 10? - Similar Threads - create recovery media

2. How Do You Create the Windows Recovery Environment from Scratch Using Command Prompe or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How Do You Create the Windows Recovery Environment from Scratch Using Command Prompe or...: Hi Microsoft friends.How do you create the Windows Recovery Environment Winre from scratch using Command Prompt, PowerShell or a 3rd-party app if the SFC, DISM, Bootrec don't work msconfig also doesn't work? Some .exe work, some don't, some .msc work, some don't. The Windows...
  3. Can't create Windows 10 Recovery Media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't create Windows 10 Recovery Media: I'm attempting to create recovery media on a brand-new empty, scanned-as-good 32 GB USB drive. After starting by typing "Create a recovery drive" in the Start Menu, and then confirming I want the app to make changes, I see "Creating a recovery drive" I leave the check mark in...
  4. How to Create the bootable “Recovery” media.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to Create the bootable “Recovery” media.: How to Create the bootable “Recovery” media. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-the-bootable-recovery-media/29938644-6b72-435d-a4cb-d3593c349769
  5. Creating Recovery Drive and Reinstallation Media

Creating Recovery Drive and Reinstallation Media: Hello. Should I create my USB Recovery Drive and Reinstallation Media for my Windows 10 PC when its right out of the box - before the first set of Windows updates?...
  6. How to create recovery media?

How to create recovery media?: Hi I just wanted to know how to create recovery media. I know that there is a program on my computer that I use. So first I know that I will have to get an external drive to create the recovery media on, but how much space will it need to have? When I create the recovery...
  7. Creating recovery media

Creating recovery media: My computer is continually freezing. Is it too late to create a recovery USB thourgh the HP Support Assistant? Does Windows need to be in full functioning condition for a recovery media to be made? 129809
  8. Unable to create a recovery drive by Recovery Media Creator

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to create a recovery drive by Recovery Media Creator: I tried to create a recovery drive on Dell Inspiron 13 7000 according to these instructions. My OS is Windows 10 build 1803 17134.523 (why this cannot be copied?!) The USB key is a brand new 16GB Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3, checked for errors, formatted first with NTFS,...
  9. Recovery media created on other Laptop

Recovery media created on other Laptop: Can a recovery media created from one working laptop will be able to restore another same model laptop to its factory fresh or not? 112592
  10. How would you create a custom recovery in Windows 10?

How would you create a custom recovery in Windows 10?: So how would the home user do this if they wanted to create a recovery after their Windows 10 upgrade. I know for Windows 8 you could do the recimg thing to create the image file. I tried doing the commands listed in one of the thread to create the provision package but...