Windows 10: How do you delete Windows.old folder after update?

Discus and support How do you delete Windows.old folder after update? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Insider updates from 10130 to 10158 to 10159 to 10162 in fairly quick succession, and tried to delete Windows.old. After an age at 98%, then having to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fafhrd, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Fafhrd Win User

How do you delete Windows.old folder after update?

Insider updates from 10130 to 10158 to 10159 to 10162 in fairly quick succession, and tried to delete Windows.old. After an age at 98%, then having to manually skip a load of stuff, it still seems as full as ever.
    Is there an easy way to remove the folder?

:)

Fafhrd, Jul 8, 2015

2. How to delete the windows.old folders

After upgrading to the latest Preview Builds, I used to deleted the previous installation folders. Even though the previous installation was deleted, a windows.old folder remains. Thus there are windows.old, windows.old(1) to windows.old(4) (Total
    five folders) are remained in C.Drive. I ran the Command Prompt with Admn.. to delete these folders. But it says 'access is denied'. I am asking how to remove these extra folders.

SudhakarPaladugu, Jul 8, 2015
  3. Error: We couldn’t update the system reserved partition

As for reclaiming some disk space, the amount in the System Reserved partition to be reclaimed is too little to be of any value. Keep it at the current size, reducing the size may in some instances cause issues that may show up down the road.

If you need more disk space AND you do not plan to roll back / restore your previous version of Windows then read these articles:

http://fossbytes.com/how-to-reclaim-free-regain-20-gb-disk-space-after-windows-10-upgrade/
    or

http://www.howtogeek.com/223821/what-is-the-windows.old-folder-and-how-do-you-delete-it/

Basically you will be deleting the Windows.old and Windows~bt folders.

Or you can just wait 30 days and Windows 10 will automatically cleanup / delete the Windows.old folder via a scheduled task.

J W Stuart, Jul 8, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

BunnyJ, Jul 8, 2015
Thema:

1. How do you delete Windows.old folder after update? - Similar Threads - delete old folder

2. How do you delete a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do you delete a folder: I am trying to delete a folder which is in Users. The folder is titled Public and I want to delete it. However when I do this, I get a message saying I need permission from...me. I tried going into the properties and changing the ownership of the file to every available...
  3. How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?

How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?: Hi, I have recently upgraded my pc and moved my second hard drive from my old pc to my new one. I put in a new C drive with more space so I don't need to install games from the Microsoft store onto my hard drive. I reinstalled all my games but cannot find a way to delete...
  4. how do i delete an old Windowsapp folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do i delete an old Windowsapp folder: My old laptop broke and i had a windows app folder on my :D i have a new pc now and i cant delete it i read tutorials and they all did not work submitted by /u/Agreeable_Ad_7313 [link] [comments]...
  5. How do I delete an old OneDrive folder?

How do I delete an old OneDrive folder?: OneDrive was unable to complete a sync. After wasting too much time jumping through mindless hoops with Microsoft OneDrive support, I unlinked OneDrive and then relinked it to cache to a new location. So OneDrive works fine now. But I'm left with a large legacy folder...
  6. How Do You Delete Updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How Do You Delete Updates?: For the past several months my pc just refuses to install updates, as when it restarts after installing them it says "Undoing changes made to your pc" Lately I get a notification saying "Time to install updates" I always end up clicking Wait an Hour. But is there a way to...
  7. How Delete an Old "Users" Folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How Delete an Old "Users" Folders: Hi, I build a PC in 2014 and installed W7 and I changed the user profile folders path in the registry for new users to be created on a drive "E:\Users" different from my small ssd "C:" drive. I have already updated to W10 and I am having some small problems, but I can not...
  8. How to delete old WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to delete old WindowsApps folder?: I have the problem below. Please help me! 1. Yesterday, I have changed Windows Apps Installation Drive to E: -> Windows 10 created WindowsApps on E: -> I have changed back to C: but WindowsApps folder still exist on E: -> I can not deleted that folder. 2. I reset the...
  9. How to delete old windows file/folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to delete old windows file/folder: Hi, I just upgraded my Windows 8 OS to Windows 10 and it has left : Old.windows folder with many included files on my Harddrive. I have already backed up and transferred all the files I wanted to keep from that old version and wish to delete that file and all that is...
  10. How do I delete old Windows folders???

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I delete old Windows folders???: Okay this is a hard question because I have been trying to do this for a while. I have two old Windows folders - 40 gig of wasted space. Here's what I have done: 1. renamed them 2. tried many times to delete them (or some of them). 3. removed "trusted installer" as the owner...