Windows 10: How do you install directplay on windows 10 to play old games?

Discus and support How do you install directplay on windows 10 to play old games? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Please help me! Trying to play theme hospital on windows 10 and when I try to play it says I need to install directplay. It then says it needs to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by lyds84, Jan 12, 2018.

1. lyds84 Win User

How do you install directplay on windows 10 to play old games?

Please help me! Trying to play theme hospital on windows 10 and when I try to play it says I need to install directplay. It then says it needs to restart the pc to do so. It restarts and then nothing happens and it hasn't installed. Tried this over and over. Read many other threads online for this problem and none of the advice helps. I have tried going into windows features and turning directplay on by ticking the box but it then says about restarting the pc, which again I do and it restarts, nothing has happened and the box is unchecked again. Going round in circles!
    I would be grateful for the help!
    Thanks in advance.

:)

lyds84, Jan 12, 2018
  2. MdioxD Win User

DirectPlay in windows 10

Hello,

I actually have a problem in windows 10: I need Directplay to play Age Of Empires III but it requires DirectPlay to launch. I cant run AoE without DirectPlay, but I dont know how to install it, as it became obsolete, and not part of directx anymore...

Thank you for reading my question.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

MdioxD, Jan 12, 2018
  3. AliefRido Win User
    my directx 11.2 rollback to directx 10 after install directplay

I tried to play my GTA: San Andreas, but it was requested the directplay, after I install the directplay my directx was rolled back to directx 10. how to getting back my directx 11.2 ?. please help

AliefRido, Jan 12, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @lyds84

DirectPlay is a deprecated feature, which is why it's not included in Windows 10 by default. It can however be enabled if you need it. NB: you must be signed in as an administrator to be able to turn it on. See this tutorial.

*Arrow Turn Windows Features On or Off in Windows 10

How do you install directplay on windows 10 to play old games? [​IMG]

5. Bree New Member
    It shouldn't do that. I have turned DirectPlay on in windows features without being asked to restart (nor do I need to restart if I turn it off again). The problem may be that you let your game try to install its own version. Try fully uninstalling the game, making sure it tries to uninstall DirectPlay too. Then you may be able to turn it on in windows features before reinstalling the game.

6. lyds84 Win User
    Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have checked and my account is definitely showing as an administrator.
    I can't actually install the game as windows 10 doesn't even seem to be compatible with the disc I have (hard to explain on here but I click install and nothing happens), so after looking it up on other forums I downloaded a file for a newer version of theme hospital (I think) and it isn't installed but you can click on it and it looks as if it will start up and you'll be able to play the game but that's when the issue of directplay comes up and stops it going any further. So I can't see that there is anything to uninstall right now. If that makes sense?! Sorry for the confusing explanation but I am not a computer expert so struggle to explain. Not sure if I am a lost cause and this issue is unresolvable!
    Thanks again.

I have attached a screenshot of what comes up when I try to load the game up from the file on my computer.

lyds84, Jan 13, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    You should be able to turn on DirectPlay in Windows Features, it should not ask for a restart when you do so. What happens when you try? What errors or messages do you see?

*Arrow Turn Windows Features On or Off in Windows 10

8. lyds84 Win User

I have tried to do a screen shot to show you but I can't seem to be able to?!? I don't understand computers!!
    It says "Windows completed your requested changes" and then below it says "windows needs to reboot your pc to finish installing the requested changes." so then I can click reboot and when it comes back on nothing has happened and directplay is unticked again. Or I can choose not to reboot and again, nothing has changed.

lyds84, Jan 13, 2018
  9. lyds84 Win User
    Thank you, I would go for it but I doubt it will work on my laptop with this issue with directplay....

lyds84, Jan 13, 2018
  10. GOG made old games to work as simply as possible. I do not even have directplay installed and it is working.

TairikuOkami, Jan 13, 2018
  11. lyds84 Win User
    Thanks, I'll do that!!

lyds84, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do you install directplay on windows 10 to play old games? - Similar Threads - install directplay play

2. How to play old CDROM games on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to play old CDROM games on Windows 11: I recently got Riven and Myst III and I wanted to try them out. However, I can't get them to work. Does anyone know how? I am trying to run them on Windows 11 and they are made for Windows 95/98/ME....
  3. How to play old CDROM games on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to play old CDROM games on Windows 11: I recently got Riven and Myst III and I wanted to try them out. However, I can't get them to work. Does anyone know how? I am trying to run them on Windows 11 and they are made for Windows 95/98/ME....
  4. How to install and enable DirectPlay on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to install and enable DirectPlay on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you want to install and enable DirectPlay on Windows 11 and Windows 10, here is how you can do that. This Legacy Components feature is already included in your computer, and you can install it from the Windows Features panel on Windows 11/10. That said, you do not...
  5. I am trying to enable the directplay to play old games and I am getting an error that...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am trying to enable the directplay to play old games and I am getting an error that...: I am trying to enable the directplay to play old games and I am getting an error that windows could not make the requested changes error code 0x80073712.though I am able to install the windows update...
  6. Installing and playing old microsoft games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing and playing old microsoft games: how can I play my CD's with Windows95 operating systems. I was told to that Compatibility Mode in Settings might work but I am having trouble locating that....
  7. How to play old pc games on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to play old pc games on windows 10: hi i am just wondering how i can play old pc games on my windows 10 gaming pc, it's games like resident evil 1 1996 version and so on!, i have a steam account and i can get certain old games on it but not all!, so is there any suggestions where i can get alot of old games...
  8. Cannot run old games on Windows 10 because of DirectPlay not getting enabled

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot run old games on Windows 10 because of DirectPlay not getting enabled: In an attempt to renew my childhood with Stronghold Crusader which is a 2001 game, I get an error with code: 0xc0000022 which is as far as I know related to DirectPlay being disabled on Windows 10 as default. DirectPlay can be enabled from Control Panel - Programs and...
  9. Play an old Game

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Play an old Game: Cheers guys, I'm trying to play Unreal Tournament in my new release of Windows 10, but I can't. The This is my old favorite window xp game. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/play-an-old-game/7fe6ad08-9df3-46d4-afb6-21984837f2d6
  10. How to play OLD games..?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to play OLD games..?: We purchased many CD based games for our first child (Spy Fox, Putt-Putt, Pajama Sam, etc). These games have great re-play value, and now our third child wants to play them on her Win10 Dell 2-in-1. However, they all say they are 16-bit games and can't be played. Is there...