Windows 10: How do you leave audit mode without doing anything?

Discus and support How do you leave audit mode without doing anything? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Today, I was messing around and entered audit mode on my laptop. I could not find a way to leave it without doing oobe. Simply rebooting did not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Apr 18, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

How do you leave audit mode without doing anything?

Today, I was messing around and entered audit mode on my laptop. I could not find a way to leave it without doing oobe.

Simply rebooting did not work as it automatically booted back to audit mode

So does anybody know how to leave audit so yo can just go back to normal mode?

:)

cereberus, Apr 18, 2017

2. Appx-installer - "app cannot be opened using built in administrator account" in windows 10 audit mode.

See the following thread for instructions how to leave Audit Mode:

How to exit audit mode in a simple step.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 18, 2017
  3. reyah Win User
    I cannot reset my windows 10 Computer

there's also another problem i forgot to mention

Every time i try to install the installation media

It isn't able to update due to me being in audit mode

but how do i exit audit mode?

reyah, Apr 18, 2017
  4. M4v3r1ck Win User

Uh, what is/does audit mode?

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Apr 18, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    As far as I know, you have to run Windows\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep and reboot to OOBE.

There is also this, but I am not sure what the registry keys do:
    How to exit audit mode in a simple step. - Microsoft Community

I've only done audit mode on clean installs, so sysprep has always been my way out.

NavyLCDR, Apr 18, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Thanks but this is more or less all I could find.

cereberus, Apr 18, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    That registry trick should not be used but it occasionally (not always) works if you are desperate and for some reason don't want to boot to OOBE.

However, the recommended way to exit Audit Mode is to boot to OOBE. It does no harm, I really have difficulties to understand why on earth another way to exit would be needed?

8. cereberus Win User

I did not want to change anything at all and was concerned, it would wipe my user directories.

In the end, I decided to simply use Macrium Reflect Home to restore image I had made day before. With Rapid Delta Restore, it took 2 minutes 20 seconds!

cereberus, Apr 19, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    Using sysprep.exe /oobe to exit Audit Mode keeps everything intact, it does not wipe any existing user profiles / data, nor does it remove any installed software.

10. cereberus Win User
    As you know from the testing I did for you, I knew programs were kept etc, but was unsure about other user data. When you get to oobe stage, it wants to create an account - I was unsure what would happen if you use same details as an existing account.

Now I know existing user data is kept, then thinking about it, the obvious thing to do is just create a new local account, then you can login to previous account and delete the newly created account.

Thanks for info.

cereberus, Apr 19, 2017
  11. Kari Win User
    Yes. OOBE requires you to create a new initial admin user. You cannot use a username already existing in system so you would need to create something I call a Dummy account.

Then when on desktop, sign out from Dummy, sign in to your old admin account and remove Dummy user.

Of course when testing on a Hyper-V VM I always create a checkpoint before booting to Audit Mode, to allow me to easily restore the state before Audit Mode.

12. cereberus Win User
    Thanks - unfortunately I was using my host account at the time. I know what to do now - cheers.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do you leave audit mode without doing anything? - Similar Threads - leave audit mode

2. Can't do anything without the password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't do anything without the password: I was having trouble with a game and contacted Ubisoft support. I will inclide what they told me to do in the screenshot. After I did this I couldn't enter my pin anymore and it asked me to find the app in the appstore, when I click yes nothing happens. My other sign in...
  3. Can't do anything without the password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't do anything without the password: I was having trouble with a game and contacted Ubisoft support. I will inclide what they told me to do in the screenshot. After I did this I couldn't enter my pin anymore and it asked me to find the app in the appstore, when I click yes nothing happens. My other sign in...
  4. Can't do anything without the password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. How do you get out of S Mode without having to do a factory reset?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you get out of S Mode without having to do a factory reset?: I cannot go out of S Mode, I've tried everything and it always goes back to "Working on it..." but I've had it open for hours and goes no where. I do not want to do a factory reset because then I lose everything on my computer. Any other options to be able to do this?...
  6. How do you fix safe modes

How do you fix safe modes: How do you fix the safe modes stopping at CLASSPNP.SYS on windows error recovery? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-fix-safe-modes/95c35bf5-f94e-4778-833e-382d4f7e2e33
  7. How do I leave the elevated mode

How do I leave the elevated mode: I have windows 10 home and I’m the only user. I recently restored my machine and now Word and Adobe CS 3 will not operate unless I open as administrator. In addition, Dragon Naturally Speaking 13 says it will not operate in elevated mode. How do I get my programs to open...
  8. How do I leave??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I leave??: How do I leave this app?? There is no exit button and I don't know what to do . :C https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-leave/b9a82287-1102-45c5-87e9-768e30689299
  9. How do i exit audit mode on my windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do i exit audit mode on my windows 10: I am having issues with updating to the new update for windows 10 due to the fact that i have to exit audit mode. I searched up how to do it but it seems as if all of the answers were from older windows versions. I would appreciate if i could get an up to date solution,...
  10. How to exit System Audit Mode without CMD or Logging in

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to exit System Audit Mode without CMD or Logging in: My Windows 10 laptop won't boot from my USB sticks. I have 2 bootable sticks, one created via the official Microsoft Media Creation tool, the other one via Rufus. I tested both on another laptop and it was able to boot fine from them. I'm trying to trace back to what I did...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to leave audit mode