Windows 10: How do you remove items from a context menu?

Discus and support How do you remove items from a context menu? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Some installed programs have inserted items on my context menu that appears when I right-click on e.g., a folder. How do I remove the unwanted items?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by lbeck, Sep 26, 2016.

1. lbeck Win User

How do you remove items from a context menu?

Some installed programs have inserted items on my context menu that appears when I right-click on e.g., a folder. How do I remove the unwanted items?
    How do you remove items from a context menu? [​IMG]

:)

lbeck, Sep 26, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Sep 26, 2016
  3. how do you remove items from the start menu

Thank you for your efforts but nothing simple ever works anymore. Everything you need to do everyday has gone and everything you will never use as long as the Earth orbits the Sun is at your fingertips. I’ll just leave it. Sorry to bother you. Thanks again

DerekSmith5, Sep 26, 2016
  4. Beowulf1 Win User

Beowulf1, Sep 26, 2016
  5. lbeck Win User
    I find only one of the renegade apps:

lbeck, Sep 27, 2016
  6. Depending on the type of context menu entry key it is, any other programs/folders you're looking for might be in the "shell" folder right above "shellex".

And if you can't find what you're looking for in either folders, you should try out the tool that Beowulf1 posted, or another program like CCleaner, as it has a section for deleting context menu keys.

Ten Seconds, Sep 27, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, first port of call- the program itself. Often there's an option to enable or disable its context menu entry.

And there's a better way for many context menu entries, unless you enjoy editing the registry.

Most (but not all) extensions are accessible using Shellexview (free). You can disable those you don't like.
    From its GUI, rt click, click opens the extension in Regedit - no need to search the registry.

dalchina, Sep 28, 2016
  8. RobertJ Win User

RobertJ, Sep 29, 2016
  9. lbeck Win User
    I think that I may be seeing part of the problem here. I downloaded/ran Shellexview and did a search for "treesize" (see my first post) and it wasn't found. Then I saw that all of the Shellexview entries pointed only items on my C:\ drive. Most of my programs are not on my small SSD boot drive to conserve space.

How do I remove items that are in my context menu and on my E:\ HDD?

Thanks for your help.

lbeck, Sep 30, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, most of my programs are installed on my D: (for historical reasons- nowadays there's little reason to do that except for space management with large programs e.g.).

What I've noticed with Shellexview is that it lists a very large number of context menu entries, but not all. For example, sometimes Glary Utilities context menu editor lists some Shellexview doesn't. As to why- no idea. You could try it.

Similarly Ccleaner has a context menu manager- Tools, Startup -see tabs.

dalchina, Sep 30, 2016
  11. You un-check creating context menu during setup, but ShellMenuView displays it and can disable it just fine.

It does not matter, where they are installed, they are registered within Windows shell/registry.

TairikuOkami, Sep 30, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Yes, seems Shellmenuview gives an apparently complete representation- Shellexview now is very limited.

dalchina, Sep 30, 2016
  13. SonicBlue Win User

There are some other context menu apps out.
    Right Click Extender2
    Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4.2
    Right Clicker

SonicBlue, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do you remove items from a context menu? - Similar Threads - remove items context

2. Remove some context menu items for folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove some context menu items for folders: So I download qttabbar, decided I didn't like it, so I uninstalled it. But it left these items in the folder context menu. Is there a program I can install or a .bat file or something? These menu items are a eyesore, and they don't do anything....
  3. Remove some context menu items for folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove some context menu items for folders: So I download qttabbar, decided I didn't like it, so I uninstalled it. But it left these items in the folder context menu. Is there a program I can install or a .bat file or something? These menu items are a eyesore, and they don't do anything....
  4. How to remove 'author' from Context Menu ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove 'author' from Context Menu ?: Disk Management has 'author' in its Context Menu. Google seems to be unaware of it, so cannot give me removal guidance. Registry has about twenty entries for Author, that also have 'context'. Any suggestions for removing 'author' ?...
  5. How to remove item from Context Menu (after app removed)

How to remove item from Context Menu (after app removed): Using Using Windows 10 Home, and I had a software installed. Then, when I tried it out, I didn't like it so I uninstalled it. But now, it still appears in the context menu for some reason. I tried to see if I could remove it either manually via Windows, or using some tools...
  6. How to remove item from Context Menu (after app removed)

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove item from Context Menu (after app removed): Using Using Windows 10 Home, and I had a software installed. Then, when I tried it out, I didn't like it so I uninstalled it. But now, it still appears in the context menu for some reason. I tried to see if I could remove it either manually via Windows, or using some tools...
  7. How to remove context menu items from shell?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove context menu items from shell?: I want to remove the following three items only (marked with red x). [img] 115171
  8. Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu in Windows How to Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 You will see the Send to context menu when you right click on a file or folder in Windows. The Send to context...
  9. Remove from context menu

Remove from context menu: Brink has posted a number of tutorials for removing specific program entries from the context menu. The screen shot is my current CM, showing two entries I'd like to get rid of. Is there a general method or places in the registry to look for? [img] 107356
  10. How do I add an item to the SEND TO context menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I add an item to the SEND TO context menu?: Lets say I right-click a folder in Windows Explorer. I want to be able to Send To -> My_Program When I Send To, can I assume that the item clicked is sent in variable %1 ? 65257