Windows 10: How do you search c disk for all the files with the extension txt

Discus and support How do you search c disk for all the files with the extension txt in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, So, I'm looking for quite a detailed search in CMD or RUN (not sure if they are the same), which is searching disk C for all the documents... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mihaelamanaila1, Dec 27, 2017.

1. How do you search c disk for all the files with the extension txt

Hello,

So, I'm looking for quite a detailed search in CMD or RUN (not sure if they are the same), which is searching disk C for all the documents with extension txt also having 150kb. I've got Windows 10 Home if that helps?

Many thanks
    Mihaela

:)

mihaelamanaila1, Dec 27, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

How to limit display settings

There is no way of limiting the projection options, but you can do this with a batch file

Create a new text file and copy this command into it

C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /clone

Save the file, give it a meaningful name and change the file extension to .bat instead of .txt

Then all the users have to do is double click the file . . .

DaveM121, Dec 27, 2017
  3. Can't Find Specific Files

Under the older Windows Systems ( XP, + Window 7) there was a "search" command that would search your entire hard drive C for a specific file that you wanted to know where it was stored / hidden. Or you could search for a specific type of file by using a
    command such as: *.txt ( this would find every .txt (text) file in drive C:.

Windows 10 no longer searches my hard drive C . It goes straight into the Web / Internet and this is

absolutely useless to me.

How do I search for files within my hard Drive C on my computer ????

JeremyDuffy, Dec 27, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

How do you search c disk for all the files with the extension txt

Welcome to the forum. Open cmd prompt type
    Cd\
    Dir *.txt /s

Samuria, Dec 27, 2017
  5. EdTittel Win User
    What Samuria says is quite correct and workable. It's also possible to use a third-party search tool -- I'm a devoted user of Voidtools (Search) Everything tool, which is faster and more capable than built-in Windows search -- to search for *.txt, either on a single drive or some combination of drives.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 27, 2017
  6. Thank you Samuria for the reply and for the welcome ! *Smile
    Trying to type that in but i get different messages all the time like the syntax it's not correct, like it's not recognized as an internal or external command? Can i kindly ask how exactly should look like?

Many thanks
    Mihaela

7. Thank you EdTittel for the reply! I've noted the other program you are using, but unfortunately for this one i will have to use CMD *Sad

8. How do you search c disk for all the files with the extension txt

You can't use Dir or any other commands to list only text files with file size 150kb, you will need to create a batch script to accomplish this task.

Execute below command to list all text files stored at C: partition and sort the list of text files starting from smallest text files.

Code: Dir /s /o:s C:\*.txt | more[/quote]

FreeBooter, Dec 28, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Not in a Command prompt, but you can in Powershell. This finds all *.txt files in the current directory or below in the size range 150kb to 300kb.

Code: Get-ChildItem *.txt -recurse | where {($_.Length) -gt 150KB} | where {($_.Length) -lt 300KB}[/quote]
    Well, actually you can run Powershell commands in a Command prompt, like this...

Code: powershell "Get-ChildItem *.txt -recurse | where {($_.Length) -gt 150KB} | where {($_.Length) -lt 300KB}"[/quote]
    If you search recursively from the root of the C:\ drive you'll want to supress error messages when trying to access folders you don't have permission for. To do that you should add -erroraction 'silentlycontinue' to your powershell command.

Code: Get-ChildItem C:\*.txt -recurse -erroraction 'silentlycontinue' | where {($_.Length) -gt 150KB} | where {($_.Length) -lt 300KB}[/quote]

10. Ztruker Win User
    Maybe if you explain exactly what you are trying to do we can be of more help. Why do you need to use CMD prompt or RUN box?

Bree, when I run the last example you posted, this is what I get:

Code: PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> Get-ChildItem C:\*.txt -recurse -erroraction 'silentlycontinue' | where {($_.Length) -gt 150KB} | where {($_.Length) -lt 300KB} Directory: C:\Users\ztruk\Documents\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\AC\AppCache\ADAOO2L2\101 Mode LastWriteTime Length Name ---- ------------- ------ ---- -a---- 10/30/2015 5:07 AM 272448 C__Windows_SystemApps_Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy_cache_De sktop_2[1].txt Directory: C:\Users\ztruk\Documents\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Devic eSearchCache Mode LastWriteTime Length Name ---- ------------- ------ ---- -a---- 2/15/2016 9:33 AM 226246 SettingsCache.txt Directory: C:\Users\ztruk\Documents\AppData\Roaming\Roxio Mode LastWriteTime Length Name ---- ------------- ------ ---- -a---- 4/23/2015 11:23 PM 183934 PlasmaLog.txt Get-ChildItem : Access is denied At line:1 char:9 + Get-ChildItem C:\*.txt -recurse -erroraction 'silentlycontinu ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: How do you search c disk for all the files with the extension txt :)) [Get-ChildItem], UnauthorizedAccessException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.UnauthorizedAccessException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetChildItemCommand PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> Last edited by Bree; 1 Hour Ago at 06:19 PM. At line:1 char:32 + Last edited by Bree; 1 Hour Ago at 06:19 PM. + ~~~~ Unexpected token 'Hour' in expression or statement. + CategoryInfo : ParserError: How do you search c disk for all the files with the extension txt :)) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnexpectedToken PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> My ComputersSystem Spec My : The term 'My' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again. At line:1 char:7 + My ComputersSystem Spec + ~~ + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (My:String) [], CommandNotFoundException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> Quote Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quote : The term 'Quote' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again. At line:1 char:5 + Quote Quote Multi-Quote This Message + ~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Quote:String) [], CommandNotFoundException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException[/quote] Why am I getting the errors, other than Access Denied, those I understand.

Ztruker, Dec 28, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    Why am I getting the errors, other than Access Denied, those I understand.[/quote] Finger trouble - you appear to have accidentally pasted more than just the command (looks like the rest of the post got copied too). *Smile

12. Ztruker Win User
    Must have, sorry. Did it again and ran in the Powershell ISE and it worked great.

Ztruker, Dec 28, 2017
  13. Stevekir Win User

I tried the Everything tool and it is very fast, but it doesn't search in, for example, my Documents folder, for terms (words) within, for example, Word files in MS Word. Disappointing.

Stevekir, Dec 28, 2017
  14. Ztruker Win User
    No, it's strictly a file locator. It does not search within files.

A good search program that does search in files is Agent Ransack. I've used it off and on for years with good success. It's free so give it a try.

Ztruker, Dec 29, 2017
  15. Thank you all for your replies! I have managed to find all the documents in disk C but none of them where 150kb, so I'm going for the full report of the documents existing. This was one of the tasks for a course that I'm doing, so thank you all one more time! *Smile*Smile

mihaelamanaila1, Dec 29, 2017
Thema:

1. How do you search c disk for all the files with the extension txt - Similar Threads - search disk files

2. How do I search for files based on types? not extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I search for files based on types? not extension: Hi. I want to search where I saved my screen record files which I forgetunfortunately, I can't remember in which format it was saved. So I need my search feature to search for any video created by this month.How do I do this? So not just one specific format like mp4/flv, etc,...
  3. How do you block specific file extensions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you block specific file extensions?: Is there a way to block specific file extensions via software or other non-complicated means?Id also like to restrict other users from accessing zip files on said computerthanksThis is windows 11 running latest update....
  4. How do you block specific file extensions?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you block specific file extensions?: Is there a way to block specific file extensions via software or other non-complicated means?Id also like to restrict other users from accessing zip files on said computerthanksThis is windows 11 running latest update....
  5. How do you "unname" a file extension?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you "unname" a file extension?: I recently tried unsuccessfully to install Corel Photo House 4.0 on my Win10 machine.After uninstalling it, it left a lingering ghost behind that I can't seem to exorcize, because it decided to name all .jpg .jpeg, .bmp etc files after itself.I'm not afraid of the registry,...
  6. How do you "unname" a file extension?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you "unname" a file extension?: I recently tried unsuccessfully to install Corel Photo House 4.0 on my Win10 machine.After uninstalling it, it left a lingering ghost behind that I can't seem to exorcize, because it decided to name all .jpg .jpeg, .bmp etc files after itself.I'm not afraid of the registry,...
  7. How do you "unname" a file extension?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. How do you define search kind extensions for searches?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you define search kind extensions for searches?: How do you define an Image when you search? For example, when I search and use 'kind:=picture', I get a my autocad .dwg files in my search results as well as .jpg, .gif etc So, how do you tell Windows, which file extensions constitute a picture (or any other file extension...
  9. Trying to search for .txt file

in Windows 10 Support
    Trying to search for .txt file: Hi folks, Windows 10 64 bit sys I am in dire need of everyones help please! A couple years back I created a .txt file on my pc, now trouble is that I forgot the name of the file and I forgot where I put it. Im just after some ways I can try search my entire PC effectively...
  10. How do you change a game log to txt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do you change a game log to txt: I need to change a game log that I downloaded to txt How do I do that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-change-a-game-log-to-txt/54b5777f-a31c-47b5-bc02-600f8d672537"