Windows 10: How do you set a protocol association with a standalone exe?

Discus and support How do you set a protocol association with a standalone exe? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello everyone! Since I'm not happy with how the Google Hangouts app has no way of integrating with the TEL url protocol, I've decided to create an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by PearlyWhites, Sep 4, 2015.

1. How do you set a protocol association with a standalone exe?

Hello everyone!

Since I'm not happy with how the Google Hangouts app has no way of integrating with the TEL url protocol, I've decided to create an application that will automatically copy, format and paste the phone link into Hangouts automatically. However, when I attempt to change the association though the control panel, it seems like Windows 10 no longer allows you to choose applications that aren't on the default list.

How do you set a protocol association with a standalone exe? [​IMG]

I've attempted to manually modify the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\tel" and "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tel" keys but this has not affected the association in any way, even after multiple restarts.

Is there any other way to do this? I've attempted to look for ways to add the executable to the programs list but I haven't found a solution.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

:)

PearlyWhites, Sep 4, 2015
  2. MarkR84 Win User

How to set a standalone program as default for a file type on 10?

Thank you! Exactly what I needed.

MarkR84, Sep 4, 2015
  3. MarkR84 Win User
    How to set a standalone program as default for a file type on 10?

I have used a program called metapad for my default text editor for many years. I just upgraded to Windows 10 and it appears I can no longer use it as the default app for txt files (and other filetypes like html, css, and such). How in the world do I set
    it as the default app? When I go to "Choose default apps by filetype" and choose .text my only options are notepad, wordpad, and look for an app in the store. I don't want any of those. I already have my desired application and don't want to have to keep being
    asked when opening a text file and having to navigate where the program resides.

MarkR84, Sep 4, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

How do you set a protocol association with a standalone exe?

Hi, have you tried rt clicking on the file of type you want to associate and using Open With? If you keep going down to the bottom of the dialogue presented you can eventually get to 'Look for another app on this PC' which presents a browse dialogue.

I'm also reminded of
    OpenWith Enhanced

dalchina, Sep 5, 2015
  5. Thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately, it isn't a file that I'm trying to configure but a url protocol. I want my application to launch whenever someone clicks a TEL link on a website such as "tel://8009256278".

That program you recommend is still pretty useful, though! I just might install it if I ever need to use it in the future.

PearlyWhites, Sep 6, 2015
  6. parzival Win User
    I have the same problem

parzival, Mar 16, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Mar 16, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

Have you tried setting it in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tel\shell\open\command as (sort of) described here Register protocol - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

I don't use it but have "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" "/uri:"%l"" as a default REG_SZ value for mine (as I installed Skype I suppose).

9. parzival Win User
    It works if you don't have Skype or Chrome installed. After that moment, you will not be able to change default app for tel protocol through system settings although you have these into registry for your app (this is valid for win 10, for others < win 10, it works nice)

parzival, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do you set a protocol association with a standalone exe? - Similar Threads - set protocol association

2. How do you download SMB2 protocol into Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you download SMB2 protocol into Windows 11?: I am getting this Windows error message when I try to open up an external hard drive. "An error occurred while reconnecting Y: to \\MYCLOUDEX2Ultra\Public Microsoft Windows Network: You can't connect to the file share because it is not secure. This share requires the obsolete...
  3. How do you download SMB2 protocol into Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you download SMB2 protocol into Windows 11?: I am getting this Windows error message when I try to open up an external hard drive. "An error occurred while reconnecting Y: to \\MYCLOUDEX2Ultra\Public Microsoft Windows Network: You can't connect to the file share because it is not secure. This share requires the obsolete...
  4. How do you verfiy your EXE file on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you verfiy your EXE file on windows 10?: How do you verify your EXE file on windows 10? So you know the thing when you install a EXE it says Verified user The company how do i do that i just made a web browser and I don't know how to verify it....
  5. How do you change email associated with windows user?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you change email associated with windows user?: When I was setting up windows I signed into mail with email I didn’t want to associate with my Windows user account. All I want to do is change my account without having to delete and re-download all my games which took hours to download and all my other files and apps. Is...
  6. how do you change an icon of a .exe file?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do you change an icon of a .exe file?: yeah all i really need to figure out is how to change an icon of a .exe file. i tried going into properties but there seems to be no way https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-change-an-icon-of-a-exe-file/42646a8b-53f8-48b5-ae6f-2131d568eb50
  7. broken .exe filetype association

broken .exe filetype association: I can't open any .exe programs. I've looked around in the forums and the solution seems to be to fix the registry keys, however I can't open regedit. I also can't open command prompt or task manager. Another solution was to tweak the registry without opening regedit either...
  8. How do you delete logtransport2.exe?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do you delete logtransport2.exe?: I continue to get the message that there is a logtransport2.exe error. I understand that it is Adobe related. I ran the troubleshooting compatibility and it noted that it was an incompatible file. I tried to delete them. Please advise. Thank you. Sheri...
  9. How to set Program Associations

How to set Program Associations: How do I set Program Associations on Windows 10 Home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-program-associations/1384abd2-ea11-481e-a4a6-018ff3a6a3ea
  10. How Do You Fix Settings?

How Do You Fix Settings?: So I watched this video on YouTube and I wanted to switch my computer name on my hp and after I changed my name all of a sudden I couldn't search in the Cortana box or even ask Cortana questions I can't even press on the windows button please, someone help. Here's the link...