Windows 10: How do you shutdown windows 10 without installing updates?

Discus and support How do you shutdown windows 10 without installing updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Is there a way to shutdown windows 10 without installing updates? I know previous versions of Windows had command line or registry tricks that helped... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Kaio, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Kaio Win User

How do you shutdown windows 10 without installing updates?

Is there a way to shutdown windows 10 without installing updates? I know previous versions of Windows had command line or registry tricks that helped with this. Note the version of Windows 10 I am using is the normal version you get with the free upgrade.

:)

2. how to shutdown windows 10 without installing updates?

Windows Update settings to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" or "Check for updates
    but let me choose whether to download and install them
    ". Or even "Never check for updates", if you want to check for,
    download, and/or install them manually. this traditional method is not in windows 10 i think..

NiharikaSharma, Dec 18, 2015
  3. how to shutdown windows 10 without installing updates?

Hi

User control over Windows Updates was removed. Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise users may be configured by an administrator to defer updates, but only for a limited amount of time.

Read the Windows End User License Agreement.

Press the WinKey+R to display the Run dialog box.

Type License.rtf and press OK.

Regards

Ronnie Vernon, Dec 18, 2015
  4. Atomic77 Win User

@Kaio that is very good question. I believe that is how its always been if an update is not installed it will install no matter what on shutdown or restart. I maybe mistaken but I am not all that knowledgeable on the so called windows 10 stuff as of yet having just upgraded from 8.1 in November.

Atomic77, Dec 18, 2015
  5. WildOne Win User
    WildOne, Dec 18, 2015
  6. YOU
    You Win User
    I do not have any pending updates to test this theory, but may be able to do that by typing "shutdown /s /f" in command prompt.

7. Ztruker Win User
    I do a restart instead then press and hold the power button once the computer is restarting to turn it off.
    Never had a problem doing it this way.

I don't think /f will work. According to the help:
    Code: /f Force running applications to close without forewarning users. The /f parameter is implied when a value greater than 0 is specified for the /t parameter.[/quote]

Ztruker, Dec 18, 2015
  8. YOU
    You Win User

[/quote] I'll actually try this out right now, because what do know, I have an update...

Be right back with the results.

It shut down, but didn't bypass the updates.

9. Ztruker Win User
    Thanks for testing, good to know for sure.

Ztruker, Dec 19, 2015
  10. I just use Settings to turn off automatic updates. The following works for me:
    Launch Settings.
    Click Update & security.
    Click Windows Update (if it's not already selected).
    Click Advanced options.
    Under Choose how updates are installed, set it to Notify to schedule restart.

But then again, maybe you've already done that, and you're having a different issue than what I think you're having.

gregyurkon, Dec 19, 2015
  11. lmaneke Win User
    when you are on your desktop with no open windows, press alt, hold alt, and hit f4. it will then bring up a menu to shutdown without installing updates

lmaneke, Dec 19, 2015
  12. janoble Win User
    Here's the way it is on my computer:
    • When updates are available, both Shutdown and Restart invoke Update.
    • Closing all windows and pressing <Alt> + <F4> gives the same choice of updating as under the Power menu.

janoble, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do you shutdown windows 10 without installing updates? - Similar Threads - shutdown without installing

2. How do I remove the AI Garbage you installed WITHOUT MY PERMISSION on an Update!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I remove the AI Garbage you installed WITHOUT MY PERMISSION on an Update!!: This is NEW GARBAGE you just installed today!I DON'T WANT IT & I'll probably go mac & stay away from Windows 11 & Beyond GARBAGE! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-remove-the-ai-garbage-you-installed/4f0badd3-bf92-4084-a7da-537996330fb4
  3. How do I update and shutdown.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I update and shutdown.: My update and shutdown option it's gone now all I have it's update and restart, that would be fine, but I'm having problem with my PC boots files, and I have yet to managed to resolved the problem fully. For some reason my PC when restart instead of shut down, it would get...
  4. Windows 10: install updates and shutdown.

Windows 10: install updates and shutdown.: hi, Since a have version 2004 and i can see the orange dot related with updates i choose update and shutdown. And on previous version it says Shutting down then it configures the update till 30% then it shutdowns my pc.... witch is fine The other day i turn on my pc it...
  5. How do you BOOT into Windows 10 without an installation disk?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you BOOT into Windows 10 without an installation disk?: My sons girlfriends laptop came up with this problem yesterday... 0xc000000f: Error attempting to read the boot configuration data She has no Windows 10 installation Disk. The web page shows prior Windows had a Utility that could be downloaded to fix this problem. Is there...
  6. How do you block certain updates from installing in Windows 10?

How do you block certain updates from installing in Windows 10?: I want to start this post by saying this is NOT Microsoft's fault-it's Realtek's and MSI's problem. Today I installed a couple Windows updates. One was a driver update for Realtek audio. Unfortunately, this caused my laptop's built-in microphone to stop working. I know I'm...
  7. How to shutdown windows 10 without updating

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to shutdown windows 10 without updating: Hello our dear readers! Don’t you just hate it when Windows decides to suddenly update itself when you just want to shut down your laptop and go? Today’s tip will help you skip updating your Windows while shutting down or restarting. Let me explain what happens: Your computer...
  8. How to shutdown windows 10 without updating

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to shutdown windows 10 without updating: Hello our dear readers! Don’t you just hate it when Windows decides to suddenly update itself when you just want to shut down your laptop and go? Today’s tip will help you skip updating your Windows while shutting down or restarting. Let me explain what happens: Your computer...
  9. How to shutdown WITHOUT updating?

How to shutdown WITHOUT updating?: I don't understand why I can't shutdown my laptop. I need to shut my computer down and the only options want me to update first. I don't have time to wait for an update. Were is the shutdown option? Does anybody at Microsoft actually use a computer? This is...
  10. How do you select which Windows 10 updates to be installed?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do you select which Windows 10 updates to be installed?: I have a problem with a video driver that wants to be installed, but when it's installed the system becomes unstable (it can hang or automatically restart). This is a long standing problem on certain ASUS notebooks with certain NVIDIA display adapters. The driver is for the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 shut down without updating